Re: best MIDI software with ubuntu

Bruce Collins

I lost a bit of data but i do bckup. They wanted 79 $ for another copy

On Aug 4, 2012, at 5:57 PM, EJ SHELDON <ejsheldon@...> wrote:

I don't understand. If you bought the laptop new with windows pre-installed (paid for the OS), then you should have a recovery disk. If all you need is a HD, then the recovery disk should restore to the new HD like new! As for lost data, if you weren't doing regular backups, well...DUH! That'll learn ya! If you've lost (or didn't get around to making) the recovery disk, then you should be able to get a copy from the mfr's support line/site (sometimes for a small fee). That's assuming, of course, that you registered when you bought it. I agree that it's a bitch that we no longer get an actual hard copy of windows with a new PC, but if you bought the laptops new and followed the mfr's instructions (as above), I don't see why you have to buy a new OS.

To: fcb1010@...
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 16:17:10 -0400
Subject: RE: [fcb1010] best MIDI software with ubuntu

That was the most intelligent and appropriate answer and way more than expected! Thanks! So your sage advice -WINDOWS. The reason I refuse is that I have 2 laptops that crapped out and needed new harddrives and I think its BS that I have to buy an OS I ALREADY PAID FOR ONCE

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

EJ SHELDON <ejsheldon@...> wrote:

>
>There isn't one. Even if, through miraculous machinations and manipulations, you can get one to work, the next Ubuntu (and this is true for anything Linux) release will like as not break it. Before you can even think about an editor, you have to find an interface that will work, AND be capable of sending and receiving sysex - good luck. Even if you do (I'd love to know about it), the next release of Ubuntu....
>Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Linux hater. I'm all for the CONCEPT of open source. It's just that I've been down this road before. Penguin lovers will swear it can be done, but try and get them to explain how. Even if you can decipher their geek-speak, you'll find that whatever they did resulted in limited functionality in a very specific configuration. Search here and on the fcb1010_uno group for Linux/Ubuntu to see threads, including an extensive back and forth between me and a rabid Linux guy who is SOMEDAY going to write a Linux editor for the FCB (nobody's holding their breath).
>Here's an excerpt from an email I got from Xavier DeDonder, the creator of the UNO chip and ControlCenter editor, who was the initial target of "rabid Linux Guy"'s vitriol. I asked Xavier if he'd heard back from the guy, and he replied:
>-----------Didn't hear anything from the Linux guy. By the way, that discussion actually triggered me to try and create a Linux version of ControlCenter. I spent a weekend on it, and got it running and fully functional on a recent Ubuntu. After that I just got into the mess which I was expecting right from the start : I tried it on Kubuntu - didn't work at all. Tried it on Ubuntu 64-bit - didn't work but that was expected, would need to set up a separate 64-bit development environment just to get the 64-bit version built. A week later, I accepted the auto-update to the latest Ubuntu on the same test machine, and my editor just wouldn't launch no more... So it did work on one distro for a few days - one big mess and a waste of time, I won't spend more time on this until I really have nothing else to do (which will be in 20 years from now maybe) ;-)
>---------
>So, my advice, save youself some time and brain cells and have a fully functional and totally flexible system that works out of the box with MOST hardware and software AND has a LARGE user community to help out with problems. Get WINDOWS!!!
>Since I know you won't follow this sage advice, PLEASE - if you manage to get something (HW and Editor) to work - including sysex transmission - please email me about it. I really would like to get this stuff working on my own Ubuntu system.
>Good Luck!
>
> To: fcb1010@...
>From: bruce_collins@...
>Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:37:52 -0700
>Subject: [fcb1010] best MIDI software with ubuntu
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Folks,Which is the best FCB1010 editor for Ubuntu that has a decent User Interface?
>
>I have the FCB1010 connected to my G Major and it's not been an ideal experience with windows MIMDI tools. I've moved away from Windows and would like to trety again with Ubuntu.
>Pls help. Bruce Collins
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

=

Join main@fcb1010.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.