From: EJ SHELDON <ejsheldon@msn.com>
Sender: fcb1010@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 10:16:41
To: fcb1010 yahoo<fcb1010@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [fcb1010] best MIDI software with ubuntu

I'm curious, Roger. For a typical user (not a developer), other than being pretty and advantages if you have a touchscreen - what do you see as the major improvements in W8?
To: fcb1010@yahoogroups.com
From: ran@unforgettable.com
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 16:10:42 +0000

Hold your breath a bit more if you can for win8 is a LEAP from win7;used alpha and dev win8 it is amazing;i repeat. AMAZING.

RogerSent from my Blackberry device so please excuse my brevityFrom: EJ SHELDON <ejsheldon@msn.com>
Sender: fcb1010@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 10:02:07 -0600To: fcb1010 yahoo<fcb1010@yahoogroups.com>ReplyTo: fcb1010@yahoogroups.com

Don't go backwards to save a couple of bucks. XP was a good OS, I actually downgraded back after getting burned with Vista. But W7 IS a big improvement over XP. Of course, there'll always be someone who'll want to argue that point, but, yada yada, that's all it is. It's MUCH more stable, with none of the issues found in Vista. Get W7/64. BTW - I've been using W8 for a while now, and don't see much reason to wait for it's official release. Stay off the bleeding edge. Go with W7 (64bit) and wait till W8 SP1 to upgrade.

To: fcb1010@yahoogroups.com
From: kulich@shaw.ca
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 08:52:19 -0700

You can get sealed copies of XP in various
incarnations from eBay or Craig's for $20 - $40 ... even better, you can get a
complete 'almost' modern desktop ... say, P4 @ 3 GHz and 2 gigs of ram with a
licensed OS for that same money. If you look a little bit you'll even get one
with a sound card that has a game port with a midi cable dongle &
cable.

A laptop would run a little bit more;
looking at the first page of the Vancouver Craig's right now there are two
desktops ($30 and $60) and a laptop ($49) that would fit the bill - mind you,
you'd need a midi interface if you didn't have a game port cable, and running
softsynths would be less fun. But as a FCB editor it's perfect.

Wow, that DOES suck! An OEM copy of w7/64 Home (get it where you buy the
HD) is only $99!