fcb1010 as bass pedals: sysex transfer fail and vst change handholding

The Pirate Kings

I'm trying to use my fcb1010 (firmware 2.5.1E) as a bass pedal trigger and I need a little technical help and possibly some advice about the whole signal chain.

The technical problem I'm having: I'm using the FCB1010 PC Manager software  (version 2.99-2) but when I send and reboot the fcb1010 none of the changes have been applied. I confirmed I can receive data properly (patch 0 pedal 1 plays note 128 when I attach it to a synth in reaper). I try to change it to play note 48 in the software but after I shut the power off and on again it's still playing note 128. Do I need to do something to lock in changes or do I maybe have a hardware problem?

The more general question I have is about the best way to handle changing vst's etc associated with each patch. The documentation for midi can be a bit overwhelming. I'm not using a hardware synth, in my dream I'd like to set up a Raspberry Pi to host vst's but I can use a laptop for now, I've been using reaper so far.  So I'd like to be able to say "ok patch 0 is a square wave bass synth in reasynth, patch 1 is strings in the obxd vst" etc etc. Is using a full DAW the best way to accomplish this, or is there some minimal VST host software that would be better for this? How does one trigger these changes?

Thanks!

Join main@fcb1010.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.