Re: New Owner using SooperLooper under Linux

Ashley J Gittins

Hi Rob!

Fellow linux user here :-)

Sooperlooper:
==========

The key sooperlooper bindings I use are:

- record (the main "let's start/stop laying down a loop)

- mute_trigger (as a "dear god, stop!" sort of deal, and to restart a loop from the beginning)

- overdub (for laying down another part on top of an existing loop)

- undo and redo (good for removing then re-applying overdubs, say for a breakdown)

I'd start off with just using a single loop and the above bindings, get used to things that way, with overdubbing parts, adding/removing sections etc.

Once you get comfortable with that, you can then think about whether you need multiple loops or not for more complicated pieces, and whether you would prefer to use dedicated pedals for each loop, or use the select_next_loop binding to control loops one by one with the same set of pedals. I'm not at that point yet, myself :-)

Banks
=====

For sure, just assume that 10 keys are enough. By the time it matters to you, you'll have your answer :-)

It all comes down to how you want to work. Some people like having each button act like a single guitar pedal, and they select from those pedals to create their sound. This works well for someone who has "their own sound" or likes to keep it simple, say. Others might spend a lot of time crafting individual sounds for different songs - say if doing lots of covers and you want to really nail the particular sounds on each song - so you might have a different bank per "artist", so all your David Gilmour patches are on one (or three) banks, another bank has your BB King sounds, another five banks for Jeff Beck... you get the idea. There's no "right" way, just ways that work right for you.

SysEx dumps
==========

For recording SysEx, your observations re amidi requiring -p hw:2,0 sounds correct, as amidi deals with alsa RAWMidi ports (hardware ports?) not regular alsa midi ports (cooked ports which include software and hardware ports). I might be a bit off with my terminology there. If you look in the graph in qjackctrl, does it show amidi is connected to your midi interface when it's running in dump mode? (It's possible the graph might not show you anything helpful from midi land, ymmv).

When you have amidi running in dump mode it should show any pedal presses you do even if not in sysex mode.

I think the first step is to verify if amidi is receiving normal midi messages from your FCB, then after you've established that, try sending your sysex dump (note that dump mode in amidi just means "dump midi output to screen" and is nothing to do with SysEx mode specifically - you probably know that but thought I'd point it out just in case).

Hope that helps!

---
Regards,

Ashley J Gittins
https://ajg.net.au/

On 2020-12-13 07:37, rmilby@... wrote:

Greetings!

I recently bought a used Behringer FCB1010 and am learning to program it, slowly... with the help of this very well done youtube video from "In The Mix"

Behringer FCB1010 Full Tutorial / Video Manual

And the confusing manual https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/sys_master/hc5/h29/8850023383070.pdf

I am using SooperLooper under Linux, QjackCTL, command line midisnoop, and other Ubuntu Studio apps.
Programming this thing is not that easy, but frankly I am having more difficulty understanding
  • which superlooper functions I need  to get started ( sooperlooper forum helps with that)
  • why I should care about multiple banks - aren't 10 switches enough?

Does anyone have experience getting a sysex dump to amidi to work?
Studio7010:...~$ pmidi -l
 Port     Client name                       Port name
 14:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
 20:0     AudioBox USB                      AudioBox USB MIDI 1
 24:0     M Audio Audiophile 24/96          M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MIDI
128:0     Client-128                        qjackctl
Studio7010:...~$ amidi -l
Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:1,0,0  AudioBox USB MIDI 1
IO  hw:2,0    M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MIDI
Studio7010:...~$ amidi -p hw:2,0 -d

amidi will not run with -p 24:0  and when I start it as shown, and use the instructions in the manual 2.7.1 Saving the FCB1010 memory with the help of
SysEx dumps
the fcb1010 switch # 6 LED does not light up, and amidi is left hanging.
Note: My midi cables are connected and I can see midi messages in midisnoop. I have a midi keyboard on FCB1010 midi in

Any thoughts?

Cheers   -Rob

[Subject edited by moderator to add focus]