Topics

Total newbie Installation

EJ SHELDON

Edited

Did you read the UNO manual or the ControlCenter Manual?
If you read the ControlCenter Manual you know how to install the attached ControlCenter sysex.
If you install that sysex, you can do everything you need to do in THU, and you can use it as an example of how to expand the configuration's capabilities beyond the current two Banks.

And YES, it will load THU Preset 1 when you press Pedal 6 in FCB Bank 00, and the STOMP pedals 1-5 will work in both banks.

That sysex is a tutorial. Study all of the options, which are EASY to find and understand IF you read the manual, and you'll be a Ninja FCB Master!

FWIW - your questions are not pointless. My apparent aggravation is caused by your asking me questions, then IGNORING my advice (specifically to READ THE MANUAL), then asking me more questions that are answered with pictures on the first few pages of said manual! AARGH!!!!

Seriously, you now have all the tools you need. If you have questions about the manual or something not covered in the manual. I'm (still) happy to help!

Lastly - If the attached sysex doesn't load properly - meaning it doesn't look like the attached screenshot when you upload it back to ControlCenter after installing it to the FCB, let me know, and include a screenshot. It should work fine.

Buzzer Man

Been digging in. I'll spend the time doing this myself and hopefully, fingers crossed, I'll spare you the pointless questions!. I calibrated the pedals as they weren't working and that was a success. I have been able to press 10 (which I guess is 0) and then a preset and the preset in TH-U does change. I notice it's one number off. So I press pedal/button one and preset 2 loads in Th-U. And so on. Preset 1 won't load at all pressing any pedal. I'll figure it out. Then I'll see how to use the Uno as right now I'm just riverdancing as they say. I have read the Uno manual. Has my imagination going with what's possible to do with this unit. Progress is happening so I'm stoked.

EJ SHELDON

Start by READING THE MANUAL (DL at the bottom of the above linked page).

There's even PICTURES!
Hopefully, by the time I get up tomorrow, you'll have READ THE MANUAL, you'll be all set up and have already downloaded the sysex file to your FCB.
You can now SAVE the sysex in ControlCenter format (*.lgp) so that you don't need to IMPORT it again.

Talk to you tomorrow.....

Buzzer Man

Awesome help. I bought the proper editor just now. So give this a view when you see it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cuaj93r5fi6na2/nofcbfound.mp4?dl=0

You're a godsend as I'd have thrown this think out left to my own accord! I know it'll be cool ounce I'm going but damn the basic stuff is cramping me out and you I'll bet!

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 2:50 PM EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...> wrote:
Dude, that's not even RELATED to the UNO_ControlCenter Editor! Hope you didn't buy it......
Here's the link to the right Editor:

https://www.fcb1010.uno/

"I did successfully get the sysex file into the FCB (Bank file looks the same as your screenshot) and was able to hit Learn in the midi area of TH-U. Yet when I manually selected bank 1, Preset 1 in Th-U and then pressed 10 on the FCB as you suggested, the program did change. Yet I'm not clear on how to make a pedal (say pedal #2) just turn the delay on or off. I see "how" to do it in TH-U and can go thru the process but doing it just changes to a new the preset matching pedal I'm hitting."

Sounds like you STILL don't have the sysex loaded on the FCB. I'm guessing that you loaded the sysex file into your editor, and that's what you're seeing on the BANKS screen.

With THU CLOSED:
Open your Editor. Select OPTIONS>FCB1010. Make sure your I/O is set to the UM1. See attached screenshot buzzerman123 I-O.
Click OK. Select VIEW>MIDI>Input Messages. See attached screenshot buzzerman123 MIDI Monitor Step 1.
Click EDIT. Step on all the FCB pedals 1-10. The screen should look like screenshot buzzerman123 MIDI Monitor Step 2.
The very last number in the far right column is the VALUE.

If the MIDI Monitor screen does not look like the screenshot, you'll probably be seeing just Program Change Messages.
The sysex was NOT loaded to the FCB.

Open your Editor. Select Options>MIDI Devices. Make sure that the UM is selected for I/O.
Close the dialog. Select MIDI>SEND and do whatever that editor requires to receive the contents of your FCB.
Select VIEW>Banks. It should look like the attached Editor screenshot.

Now it should work as described.

NO? OK, I'm tired of trying to describe how to use a second rate Editor with my incompatible chip.
Soon you'll have the REAL UNO_ControlCenter Editor, and we can get this done with MUCH less aggravation.

I'll be out for the rest of the day. What Time Zone are you in? I'm in the Rocky Mtn Time Zone (Colorado USA).
When you've got ContolCenter loaded up, let me know (tomorrow) and let's get this thing working. I'll be around before 1PM (my time) and after 5PM.

FYI - Once you've paid for the ControlCenter License you'll be sent a Registration Key. It's an automated process, so if you don't have it in 30 minutes, check your Junk Mail folder. Start by READING THE MANUAL (DL at the bottom of the above linked page).

EJ SHELDON

[...]

Ok, I decided to grab the UNO editor. Yet prior to learning that I did successfully get the sysex file into the FCB (Bank file looks the same as your screenshot) and was able to hit Learn in the midi area of TH-U. Yet when I manually selected bank 1, Preset 1 in Th-U and then pressed 10 on the FCB as you suggested, the program did change. Yet I'm not clear on how to make a pedal (say pedal #2) just turn the delay on or off. I see "how" to do it in TH-U and can go thru the process but doing it just changes to a new the preset matching pedal I'm hitting.

Yet I am getting somewhere! :) Lets' move forward talking about the UNO. I attached a screenshot to make sure I do in fact have the right editor! I have all the settings in the UNo for the Um One and it shows as this is all good. Just one question on that:

Input: Channel 1
Controller: Channel 1
Output: Channel 1

That's how I set it.

EJ SHELDON

I've made a couple of edits for clarification. Use the version that's in the forum, or the last email version.

EJ SHELDON

Edited

OK, first, I apologize for steering you to the wrong Editor. The one I asked you to install doesn't run on MAC, and I forgot that you were using a MAC.
Unfortunately, I have the UNO chip in my FCB. The Editor you installed is not compatible with UNO.
So, while the sysex I sent should work with your editor, I can't step by step you through this, but I'll try.
There is an editor that runs on both our machines, but it's not free.
Let's see what we can do before I make you spend the $20 that the hands down best FCB editor would cost.

The following instructions are based on what I can see of your THU MIDI configuration in your video. See attached THU screenshot.

First, open THU. Manually select preset. 1. EDIT: Now press pedal 10. Did the preset change?
IF YES THEN
           Try LEARN on one of the effects in the preset using pedal 1. Did it work?
IF NO THEN
           Close THU.
           Open your Editor. Select Options>MIDI Devices. Make sure that the UM is selected for I/O.
           Close the dialog. Select MIDI>Receive and do whatever that editor requires to receive the contents of your FCB.
           Select VIEW>Banks. It should look like the attached Editor screenshot.
     IF NO THEN
         You did not successfully load the sysex to your FCB.
Are you using two cables?
Is the FCB OUT port connected to the Interface IN port?
AND vice versa for the other cable.
Turn OFF the FCB. Restart while holding the DOWN pedal. When the green led in GLOBAL CONFIGURATION>DIRECT SELECT lights, press the UP pedal twice so that the CONFIG led is lit. Press pedal 7 so that it's led lights. press and hold the DOWN pedal until the display returns to 00.
Open your editor, open the sysex, select MIDI>SEND. The display should turn off, then return to 00.
Select VIEW>MIDI>Input Messages. This is your MIDI Monitor. Test the pedals. Do they send the messages as I described above?

IF NO then get back to me and we'll talk some more.
It may be that in order for us to be on the same page you'll need to get the UNO_ControlCenter Editor that I mentioned.

Buzzer Man

I'm clearly missing something simple in the very beginning as I can't get past step 1. Please view this so you can see what I'm seeing maybe it'll be obvious to you why I'm lost :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aesj75dhqgn6u10/fcb1010.mp4?dl=0

Buzzer Man

Was my b'day Tues so been recovering. Now diving into your tutorial. I'll get my brain around this and definitely reach back with comments once I understand what I'm doing :)

Learning curves and all...

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 2:40 PM EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...> wrote:
OK, you probably should spend some time reading the THU Manual.
Attached is a sysex file. I've tested it using TH3, and it works as follows:

Bank 00
Pedals 1-5 send CC#s 111-115
Pedals 6-10 send PC#s 000-004

Bank 01
Pedals 1-5 send CC#s 111-115
Pedals 6-10 send PC#s 005-009

All Presets in all Banks
Expression Pedal A = CC#126
Expression Pedal B = CC#127

Although THU numbers it's Presets 1-Infinity (however many are allowed per bank), PC#000 will always load Preset 1. This whole numbering thing is transparent in use, I only mention it since when you load the sysex in your MIDI Editor (loaded properly in the Ed Dixon Editor (in the Files area FCB1010Editor>FCB1010PCEditorInstall.zip). Follow the directions to load the sysex into your FCB.

In THU>MIDI you'll want to set the first two items per the attached screenshot.

You can then decide what you want to control and use LEARN to assign buttons 1-5 (CC#s 111-115).
Tap Tempo is in the last group.(OTHER). I assume that's what you meant by "CLICK", though /Solo I'm not sure? Anyhow, you'll want to click BPM in the second (under the Menu) Bar so that it shows INTERNAL to use Tap Tempo.

Expression Pedals can be assigned to the individual controls on the images by Right Clicking on the control. If you select "Learn MIDI for Current Preset you can reuse the Expression pedals in other presets for other controls. DON'T FORGET to SAVE THE PRESET! whenever you assign MIDI or make any other changes to a preset. Keep in mind that you must press a button, any button 1-10, before the Expression Pedals are active.

The attached sysex allows you access to 10 Presets. If you need more, just set up the pedals in additional banks same as the first two, but with different PC#s.

Questions?

EJ SHELDON

[...]

Appreciate the thorough reply. I did give it a few days to go over what I might need. Basically I'll want a setup that will allow this:

Have approx. 9 main guitar sounds. Then a solo/lead click for each of these. And then wah wah and volume on 2 or three of them. I'll mainly want a setup that mirrors how I'd play live with it if I was using regular pedals et al.

So ultimately I'll just need perhaps a Global setup? I don't understand all this yet but trying to start on the right track for my long term needs. I do understand what you mean regarding the banks and the pedal not syncing with TH-U in terms of switching banks.

I won't need to have the ability via the pedal to alter the amount of distortion real time or change the delay real time ot other really intricate midi adjustments. Yet I can see the use and need for the option to add some reverb swell or some special effect as a one off during a solo. Maybe this could be done with one of the expression pedals?

EJ SHELDON

I have TH3, but a quick look at the THU manual indicates no changes in MIDI.
I also have the UNO chip, so what I tell you about the stock chip is 10 year old memories. If I send you an example sysex I'll be creating it manually with one of the editors that are compatible with the stock chip. BTW - what editor are you using?

The manual is pretty clear on establishing the connections to your Audio Interface and MIDI controller.
Your main consideration is logistical, as the THU MIDI implementation is just OK.

THU has LOTS of presets located in LOTS of BANKS.
Unfortunately, it doesn't allow for changing banks via MIDI. This means that the MIDI Option "Program Changes recall presets in the current Bank" means exactly that.
If you want to use a preset in a different bank, you'll need to change banks manually. The BANK switches on the FCB DO NOT transmit MIDI, and can't be used to switch THU Banks.

The best way to deal with this is to save all the presets you use regularly into a custom user bank. You can name it "My Presets" or some such.

The FCB allows access to 100 presets of the 128 allowed by the MIDI Spec. IIRC, a factory reset numbers the presets/pedals 1-100.
PC#s change presets. CC#s toggle effects. A given pedal can send a PC# and 2 CC#s (and other stuff not relevant to using THU) on load. Those 2 CCs can be set to toggle on successive presses of the pedal. You can use different CCs in different presets. You can also configure a pedal to sen ONLY the CCs without sending a PC.

THU allows you to toggle effects in CATEGORIES, not by specific effect. If you create a preset with two Overdrives, they'll both be toggled using the SAME CC#.
You can assign CC#s GLOBALLY or per preset. A globally assigned CC is overridden by a preset assigned CC.

So here's what you need to think about. Using the Stock Chip, in order to be able to toggle effects from each FCB bank, you need to decide how many effects vs how many presets you want to access from each bank. For instance, 5 toggles means 5 presets. In 10 banks, that limits you to accessing 50 presets.
You could also set up one bank for toggling 10 effects, and the other banks for presets, increasing the number of accessible presets to 90.
But then you'd have to return to that bank after selecting a preset in a different bank, which could require multiple presses.
Obviously, any combination is possible, but keep in mind that remembering a bunch of differently configured banks could be messy.

If you're interested in the UNO Chip, it allows you to to have 5 effects toggling pedals (the same CC#s) in each of 19 banks, each of which also allows access to 5 presets for a total of 95 presets.

I need to go out now, but think about it and get back to me when you have a plan.

Buzzer Man

I'll be using the TH-U Overloud

EJ SHELDON

What Jack said, I just didn't know the Device Name that the Roland goes by.
In most DAWs you create a MIDI track with the Roland as it's Input.
You direct the MIDI track's Output to the Audio track with the VST to be controlled.
Tell me which Guitar Sim you're using and I'll tell you how to use the FCB to control it.

Buzzer Man

Can you give this a look and see if I'm on the right track. Or more correctly what track I should start with! ;)  https://www.dropbox.com/s/6079i3ovcefz0e5/fcb-umone.mp4?dl=0

Buzzer Man

Not sure what you mean by look for the interface name "in your device not the fcb"

Buzzer Man

Wow, what a simple tip and so true! Geez, wish something this simple was a sidebar in the FCB manual or even online on their site!

I found the Um-one in the channel strip when I added a new External Midi Track as the type of track. Guess now I jump onto youtube and hunt for some tutorials of people showing how to use it with the software guitar amps or a DAW.

How'd you all learn it? Maybe you're old hat at this so second nature. Love any direction on getting the basics down with this thing. Thanks for the tip!

Jack Fenton

If you are using a Roland UM1 conversion cable, it will show up on your Mac as Roland UM1 or similar. It has no idea that the other end of the cable is an FCB1010. Just connect your DAW to whatever it shows for the UM1 and you should be good to go.

EJ SHELDON

I'm not a MAC guy, but from what I've seen in other forums, Catalina blew a lot of drivers out of the water.
Check to see if your Roland interface is MAC compatible.
Look for the Interface name in your devices, NOT the fcb.
Then contact Apple support and ask them.