FCB1010 STOCK VERSION. CANNOT MAKE IT WORK WITH GUITAR RIG 4 OR 5... UNDER MAC OR WINDOWS. Sorry for bothering you with newby stuff.

federicosanchezg@...

Hi everyone!
I bought some days ago a stock FCB1010. I don`t have the possibility to change the chip here in Argentina yet. Firstly, I ran the pedal calibration properly.
So then, I followed all the internet tutorials to program the pedals, and the expression pedals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI0Sl74oCoI&list=RDhI0Sl74oCoI&index=1
I connected the FCB to my MAC through an USB/MIDI Cable.
I tried to connect to Guitar Rig, both versions 4 and 5, and I tried to do that with both versions on both Windows and MAC, and the same error happens always.
I followed the configuration recommendations for Guitar Rig. So, here comes the error.... in Guitar Rig, when I try to LEARN with, for example Pedal 1 Bank 00, Guitar Rig assigns correctly Key 1 to that specific controller. My intention has always been to select one Guitar Preset included in Guitar Rig, to select it while I`m playing live. This first selection works fine. Pressing Pedal 1 makes the assigned preset appear. BUt when I try to add controllers... and assign pedal 2 and 3 (Bank 00) to bring other presets... the FCB stops communicating with Guitar Rig... and even pressing pedal 1 (which had been correctly configured previously) doesn`t make any change. And then...no matter what you press on the FCB... nothing else will happen.
Do you have any reccomendation?
I`ve already replaced the MIDI/USB cable twice, so that doesn`t seem to be the problem.
Thank you very much!

EJ SHELDON

First, find out what your FCB is ACTUALLY sending. There's a MIDI Monitor program for MAC, but I don't remember what it's called (Windows guy here).

Second, you say that when you "try to add controllers...and assign pedal 2 and 3 to bring other presets...". This is confusing. If, for example, Pedal 1 calls a preset (sends a PC), then Pedals 2 and 3 are configured to send CCs to toggle effects (no PC), that makes sense. If you're sending PCs as well as CCs on a single pedal press, that will cause a problem with GR.

Once you have a MIDI Monitor program installed, you'll be able to SEE exactly what is being sent, not guess based on what you THINK you programmed it to do.

chrisw_63

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 02:45 PM, EJ SHELDON wrote:
There's a MIDI Monitor program for MAC,
It's actually called Midi Monitor.. go figure..

Good morning Frederico, I'm a noob. Just got my 1010 yesterday but I think I can tackle this one. First of all this isn't an error exactly. A glitch or a bug maybe but not an error.
Guitar tig likes to keep things seperate and this means that each preset has it's own set of midi commands possible for the components in that rig. So everytime you switch the preset the fcb board buttons get put back to default. And unfortunately default settings for guitar rig iae that nothing is assigned yet.
Here's what I did. when in the Options/controller column of Guitar Rig Satndalone. pick button 6 and 7 to act as a Rig Kontrol 3, (preset previous and preset next). before switching any presets go back into the menu where you picked the before mentioned control changes adn at the top of the dropdown list click the 'LOCK' option. this will make the pedal designations Global and therfore the same for any preset. Then it is just a matter of organising your presets in groups of song specific sounds that can be easily selected next on the fly.
Hope this helped
Cheers

federicosanchezg@...

Thanks chrisw_63... not signal sent to MIDI MOnitor through the MIDI/USB cable...
Today I`ll try to connect the FCB through a Lexicon LAMBDA... I`ve seen this video in youtube where they show how to control TH3 with an FCB, connected via MIDI to a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K7JSzvg4T8
I`ll let you know in some minutes..

federicosanchezg@...

PROBLEM SOLVED!! (apparently...)
I connected a Lexicon Lambda to my MAC through USB... I connected my stock FCB via MIDI to the Lexicon Lambda. (Midi OUT on the FCB... Midi IN on the LExicon).... and voilá!. GUitar Rig 5, Overloud TH3  and Amplitube started responding to the MIDI commands. Both expression pedals, for Wah and Volume, work perfectly.
Before doing this connection I followed these steps that EJ Sheldon kindly explained...
https://fcb1010.groups.io/g/main/message/28388
I succeded in sending the Sysex file to the FCB ... and then I connected the FCB to the LExicon via MIDI.
I`ll start trying to assign preset changes to the pedals... hope It`ll work.
Thanks to all!

Stephen Hannah

Seeing how this played out, I’m becoming more convinced that most people’s issues (mine included) stem from using a an incompatible midi interface.

On May 30, 2020, at 6:28 PM, federicosanchezg@... wrote:

PROBLEM SOLVED!! (apparently...)
I connected a Lexicon Lambda to my MAC through USB... I connected my stock FCB via MIDI to the Lexicon Lambda. (Midi OUT on the FCB... Midi IN on the LExicon).... and voilá!. GUitar Rig 5, Overloud TH3  and Amplitube started responding to the MIDI commands. Both expression pedals, for Wah and Volume, work perfectly.
Before doing this connection I followed these steps that EJ Sheldon kindly explained...
https://fcb1010.groups.io/g/main/message/28388
I succeded in sending the Sysex file to the FCB ... and then I connected the FCB to the LExicon via MIDI.
I`ll start trying to assign preset changes to the pedals... hope It`ll work.
Thanks to all!

ossandust

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 10:14 AM, Stephen Hannah wrote:
Seeing how this played out, I’m becoming more convinced that most people’s issues (mine included) stem from using a an incompatible midi interface.
True! All MIDI interfaces work well for sending the "regular" MIDI messages necessary for switching sounds, activating effects, playing a synth  (ProgChange, CtrlChange, NoteOn/NoteOff, ... ). However many interface manufacturers don't go through the effort of correctly implementing that one message type "SysEx", which is more complex than the rest, because it can have an unlimited message size (as opposed to 1,2 or 3 bytes for all other message types), and therefore requires things like providing large enough data buffers, making sure buffers are flushed fast enough, filtering out 1-byte System Realtime messages which could occur during a SysEx transfer, and so on. Not to forget the weird non-standard way Mac sends SysEx over MIDI-USB, packing each message byte into a 4-byte packet, instead of the standard SysEx format which packages each group of 3 bytes into a 4-byte MIDI-USB package. That's a lot to take into account, especially if you want to keep R&D price down...