Topics

New User: sysex send and some midi hand holding

EJ SHELDON

Congrats!

EJ SHELDON

Be aware that the current UNO FW is not compatible with the Editor that you are using, which hasn't been supported for years. If you do get it, you'll want to get the UNO_ControlCenter Editor. It's worth every penny of the $22 it costs. That being the case, get the Editor now. It works with the stock chip and may solve the problem for you.

The Pirate Kings

Update: I switched to a different c omputer and I saw the countdown after pressing down. The changes were saved. I think I'm in business thanks!

The Pirate Kings

Ok thanks. I am doing this but the new settings aren't sticking and I wish I knew why. I'm thinking of ordering the uno firmware and perhaps that will eliminate the sysex issues.

EJ SHELDON

Part 2

Reaper is just fine for your purposes. In order to make it happen you add a track with a VSTi (virtual instrument) with the input set to the MIDI interface that the FCB is attached to, set to MIDI Channel 1 (FCB default). If you're using more than one VSTi at a time you set each to the MIDI Channel that you want it to listen on (the MIDI Channel that the FCB is sending the message on). While you can send multiple PC (Program Change ) messages on separate channels, CC (Continuous Controller) and NOTE messages are set Globally. That means that while you can change presets on multiple VSTi's on multiple channels, CC and NOTE messages are always (in all FCB presets) sent on ONE channel. except for the Expression Pedals, whose channels can be set per FCB preset.

Using the UNO2 Chip you can get around these limitations, but it requires actual programming in a special editor.

EJ SHELDON

In Global Settings you must enable "SYSEX RECEIVE" (pedal 7) before SENDing the sysex..
After you SEND the sysex you must hold the DOWN pedal till the display reads "00" to SAVE the sysex.

The Pirate Kings

I'm trying to use my fcb1010 (firmware 2.5.1E) as a bass pedal trigger and I need a little technical help and possibly some advice about the whole signal chain.

The technical problem I'm having: I'm using the FCB1010 PC Manager software  (version 2.99-2) but when I send and reboot the fcb1010 none of the changes have been applied. I confirmed I can receive data properly (patch 0 pedal 1 plays note 128 when I attach it to a synth in reaper). I try to change it to play note 48 in the software but after I shut the power off and on again it's still playing note 128. I can make "riverdance" changes and they do persist so I don't think it's a hardware problem, but kind of lost on how to debug this.

The more general question I have is about the best way to handle changing vst's etc associated with each patch. The documentation for midi can be a bit overwhelming. I'm not using a hardware synth, in my dream I'd like to set up a Raspberry Pi to host vst's but I can use a laptop for now, I've been using reaper so far.  So I'd like to be able to say "ok patch 0 is a square wave bass synth in reasynth, patch 1 is strings in the obxd vst" etc etc. Is using a full DAW the best way to accomplish this, or is there some minimal VST host software that would be better for this? How does one trigger these changes? I realize this isn't strictly an fcb1010 question but I'd appreciate suggestions on components I need for a minimal workflow like this. Thanks!