yamaha Tyros 5 with FCB1010

JM

Hi again

Since William awaked my curiosity, I just setup the 10 switches of my FCB1010 to match a Tyros function. So, here is how it is done.

First set the FCB1010 MIDI channel to whatever you want:
  1. If the FCB1010 is turned on, then turn it off
  2. Keep the "DOWN" switch pressed, then turn it on
  3. Do not release the switch until the "DIREC SELECT" LED turns green
  4. Press the "UP" switch once
  5. The led: "MIDI FUNCION" blinks
  6. Press the switch 10 (NOTE) once, then it will start blinking. On the display, you will see the MIDI channel used for sending notes
  7. To change it, press the "UP/ENTER" switch, the display starts blinking
  8. You can then input the channel you want by pushing the respective pedal numbers
  9. Then press the "UP/ENTER" switch
  10. Exit from the global settings by pressing the "DOWN/ESCAPE" switch by few secons

After this, go to your Tyros and do the following:

  1. Choose a Midi Configuration:
    • Press the button: "Function"
    • Then click "MIDI"
    • Chooose the MIDI preset you want to modify
    • Press: "Edit"
  2. Go to the tab: "MFC10"
  3. Once there, you should see the settings for the MIDI port: either: "MIDI A" or "MIDI B". Choose the port where you want to connect the FCB1010 (It should be connected to one input port)
  4. Setup also the MIDI channel the same as the one on your FCB1010
  5. You will see there the notes that you have to send from the FCB1010 and what they will do
    On the second column you see the note you have to send from the FCB1010 to activate that function and on the third column you will see the function that you want the Tyros excecutes, for example: "Rythm Start/Stop". You can modify those functions by pressing the display buttons.
  6. Once you have changed the template, save the changes

Finally, setup the FCB1010 to send the notes as required:

  1. Turn on the FCB1010
  2. Choose the Bank you want to use with the "UP" and "Down" switches
  3. Activate the switch you want to setup, ie: push the switch 1. It doesn't have to have the same order as in the table from the Tyros. At the end what matters is the note you send
  4. Press the "Down" switch for a few seconds until the display doesn't show anything
  5. Press once the "Up" switch
  6. Turn off all switches that are on, by pushing them few seconds
  7. Once all are off, press the switch 10 (NOTE) once, then a second time and leave it pressed until it turns on. Finaly press it again and then the LED will blink
  8. Press the switch UP/ENTER. You will see that the display blinks and you will see "00"
  9. Now you can enter the note number that you setup on the Tyros. Here a table with the equivalent note numbers:
    https://djip.co/wp-content/uploads/drupal/blog/logic-midi-note-numbers.png
  10. You have two ways of setting the note number:
    • With the left foot pedal
    • Or you can press the note number by using the switches, which are numbered from 1 till 10 (or zero)
  11. Once you see the note you want, then press the switch: "UP/ENTER"
  12. Exit from the programming mode by pressing the "DOWN/ESCAPE" switch for a few seconds until the display changes
  13. Repeat steps 3 until 12 to programm the other notes you want
  14. If you haven't done it yet, then connect the FCB1010 to the MIDI A or MIDI B input port, according to the one you setup on the Tyros

Please note that you can set upto 29 notes: from C#-1 (Note 0) until
F#1 (Note42). So, you may use upto three banks on your FCB1010 to acomplish this. However, I doubt you need that much.

Best regards
Josef

JM

Hi again

Here I want to share some things that I forwarded to William. In case that somebody else has a Tyros and wants to try it.

On the YouTube video, not all note numbers will be shown. This means that you have to count theme by yourself. After E-1, the next note would be F-1. Since E-1 is 16, then F-1 must be 17. Anyway, I guess the table of the FCB1010 manual will help you more with that counting (page 10)

So, for knowing the value of, let's say G0, locate C0 on that table, which has the note number: 24. Now count notes until G0: C0 = 24, C#0 (or Db0) = 25, D0 = 26, D#0 (or Eb0) = 27, E0 = 28, F0 = 29, F#0 (or Gb0) = 30, and G0 = 31. So, there you go, you have that G0 = 31.

Anyway, you can also get this table where everything is already simplified:
https://djip.co/wp-content/uploads/drupal/blog/logic-midi-note-numbers.png

Best regards
Josef

JM

By the way, the YouTuber also mentioned that the table can be found on page 10 of the FCB1010 manual. You can get a copy from here:
https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/50011/behringer-fcb1010.html?download

JM

Dear William

On my previous post, you will find a link to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqt-fk5ZyWk

I also put the time marks were you will find all the information. You are looking for step 9 of the FCB1010 setup:

  • Now you can enter the note number that you setup on the Tyros. It will display a table with the equivalences of the note numbers and the musical notes on minute: 7:05

So, in the time mark 7:05, you will see that the person of the video put a table, see:
https://youtu.be/hqt-fk5ZyWk?t=425

He says this:

C#-1 = 13
D-1 = 14
Eb-1 = 15
E-1 = 16
F#1 = 42

Best regards
Josef

WilliamFinland

Hi Josef
Now home and red throgh your message angain carefully.

Few questions thoug.
- In Tyron mfc10 template you can
.... send the seleced functions of all 10 buttons via midi a or b and channal via midi out port with just one send command to
... fcb1010 midi in port when it it is at the same cannel

If fcb does not work the same way like mfc10 ( Should work because it sends only midi note values) then i sould program each note value for each celected function to each bank , but from where i can find the note values to manually put in fcb. The mcf10 template does not show midi value just note name C# ... and function.

Im a bit uncertain. What Im missing ?

Cheers William

Viljo
Pure Nature Flyers PNF
+358-400-299808

Lähetetty iPadista

JM

Hi William

I'm also looking fordward for doing the same, but I haven't had the time yet. Anyway, I found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqt-fk5ZyWk

It is unfortunatelly in german, but I think you may understand what he is doing. Anyway, I saw it and basically you do it the same way as with the Yamaha MFC 10:

  1. Choose a Midi Configuration on your Tyros:
    • Press the button: "Function"
    • Then click "MIDI"
    • Chooose the MIDI preset you want to modify
    • Press: "Edit"
  2. Go to the tab: "MFC10"
  3. Once there, you should see some where the settings for the MIDI port: either: "MIDI A" or "MIDI B". Choose the port where you connected the FCB1010 (It should be connected to one input port) -> Minute 1:54
  4. Setup also the MIDI channel the same as the one on your FCB1010 -> Minute 2:29
  5. You will see there the notes that you have to send from the FCB1010 and what they will do -> Minute 2:40
    You will see on the second column the note you have to send and on the third column you will see the function. You can modify those functions by pressing the display buttons.
After you have done that, then you need to setup the FCB1010:
  1. Turn on the FCB1010
  2. Choose the Bank you want to use with the "UP" and "Down" switches -> Minute 5:00
  3. Activate the switch you want to setup, ie: push the switch 1. It doesn't have to have the same order as in the table from the Tyros. At the end what matters is the note you send
  4. Press the "Down" switch for a few seconds until the display doesn't show anything -> Minute: 5:20
  5. Press once the "Up" switch
  6. Turn off all switches that are on, by pushing them few seconds -> Minute 5:58
  7. Once all are off, press the switch 10 (NOTE) once, then a second time and leave it pressed until it turns on. Finaly press it again and then the LED will blink -> Minute 6:23
  8. Press the switch UP/ENTER. You will see that the display blinks and you will see "00" -> Minute 6:46
  9. Now you can enter the note number that you setup on the Tyros. It will display a table with the equivalences of the note numbers and the musical notes on minute: 7:05
  10. You have two ways of setting the note number:
    • With the left foot pedal -> Minute 7:24
    • Or you can press the note number by using the switchs, which are numbered from 1 till 10 (or zero)
  11. Once you see the note you want, then press the switch: "UP/ENTER"
  12. Repeat steps 3 until 11 to programm the other notes you want
  13. Exit the programm mode by pressing the "DOWN/ESCAPE" until the display changes -> Minute 7:52
  14. If you haven't done it yet, then connect the FCB1010 to the MIDI A or MIDI B input port, according to the one you setup on the Tyros
  15. If you want to setup more functions on the Tyros, then on the keyboard display, choose the other setting you want and adjust it as required -> Minute 8:43
  16. You can setup the first 10 notes on a FCB1010 bank -> Minute 9:44
  17. From the 11th note, you can setup them on another FCB1010 bank -> Minute 9:47
  18. You can setup upto 29 notes, this is 3 banks on the FCB1010
In theory you should be able to use the functions now. If not, then check the MIDI Channel for NOTE messages on the FCB1010 (From minute 10:35)
  1. Turn off the FCB1010
  2. Keep the "DOWN" switch pressed, then turn it on -> Minute 11:03
  3. Do not release the switch until the "DIREC SELECT" LED turns green -> Minute 11:11
  4. Press the "UP" switch once -> Minute 11:20
  5. The led: "MIDI FUNCION" blinks -> Minute 11:22
  6. Press the switch 10 (NOTE) once, then it will start blinking. On the display, you will see the MIDI channel used for sending notes -> Minute 11:31
  7. To change it, press the "UP/ENTER" switch, the display starts blinking -> Minute 11:47
  8. You can then input the channel you want by pushing the respective pedal numbers -> Minute 11:57
  9. Then press the "UP/ENTER" switch -> Minute 12:07
  10. Exit from the global settings by pressing the "DOWN/ESCAPE" switch by few secons -> Minute 12:13
I haven't tried this, but I will. It seems that it is working also for the Tyros.

Best regards
Josef

WilliamFinland

Hi Chris. Still strugglin ;). Cant find neede note numbers.  Found some like main A-D

My target is too use FCB 3 memory banks with slightly different functions. And needed assignable functions are mainly in the following list (I have found few but not all)
Or is it also possible to uso PC or Cc commands but which?
Cheers   WillamFinland

Tyros 5 Note numbers for fcb1010?    FUNCTIONS like ?

INTRO 1–3

Miltipads 1-4

Muoltpads stop

Left on/off

MAIN A–D

FILL DOWN

FILL SELF

FILL BREAK

FILL UP

ENDING1–3

FADE IN/OUT

FINGERD/FING ON BASS

BASS HOLD

PERCUSSION

RIGHT 1 ON/OFF

RIGHT 2 ON/OFF

RIGHT 3 ON/OFF

LEFT ON/OFF

OTS +/-

chrisw_63

As usual, since I don't know you or your familiarity with MIDI, etc, I may explain things you already know - Apologies if that bothers you.

How are you connecting the FCB1010 to the Tyros?  It can only be done with regular MIDI 5-pin DIN cables.  If you have a USB to MIDI converter cable, you could hook both the Tyros and FCB1010 to a computer and have the computer route MIDI to the Tyros (or a MIDI box like the iConnectivity mioXM can do the same).  The Tyros' USB connections are not for connection to MIDI devices other than a computer.  Sort of.  Please note that you only need one 5-pin DIN cable - from the FCB1010 MIDI Out to the Tyros' MIDI IN.  The Tyros can't send anything to the FCB1010 that it will listen to, so the other cable isn't needed for this (but both are needed for programming the FCB1010 from a computer).

If you need any of the manuals for the keyboard, I found them here: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/tyros5/downloads.html#product-tabs

From the manual, it is supposed to work, but whoever wrote it didn't go for readability.  There's a chart starting on page 81 of the ambiguously named "Tyros5 Data List" (obvious that's where all the MIDI info is, right???) that lists the usable MIDI messages.  At the very least, it's supposed to play notes sent with MIDI, so you could try to verify the connection by just programming Note messages into the FCB1010.  At the same time, program one of the expression pedals for CC # 7.  This should be volume.  This is a very simple setup to troubleshoot and get things working.  From the manual, it appears as if all of this is set up ready for an external controller.

On page 140, it lists the MIDI Receive Settings.  Port 1 and Port 2 refer to the two sets of MIDI 5-pin DIN jacks on the back, and also to two USB MIDI ports.  (It has two MIDI ports on the same USB jack - the USB TO HOST (type B).  The other USB jack labelled USB TO DEVICE is only for USB memory sticks or a USB Wireless adapter.)  But most important, at the bottom there's a section labelled Rx Monitor, and parts of it flash when it receives MIDI data.  This will help to troubleshoot your MIDI connection from the FCB1010 to the Tyros.

If none of that works, you may need to fool around in the menu system with the MIDI settings, specifically the MIDI channel settings and 'Local' settings for each voice.  Page 138 of the Reference Manual says that turning off Local disconnects the keys from the internal voices..."For example, this allows you to use an external MIDI sequencer to play the instrument’s internal Voices, and use the instrument keyboard to record notes to the external sequencer and/or play an external tone generator."  This does not mean that it won't accept MIDI notes when Local is On, but nowhere in the entire thing does it say that it will, so.. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

WilliamFinland

Hello

Had FCB1010 for years but after several attempts to use with Tyros 5 found it under dust.

Perhaps might be worth trying again. I might need some practical assistance.
In Tyros there is ready made setups for Yamahas own MCB10.  Can that be utilised for FCB1010?

Looking forward ...

William