Amplitube 5 on Mac with FCB1010

Joseph Hammons

Thanks to everyone for the guidance. I’ve ordered the connectivity mio cable recommended by EJ.

On Mar 18, 2021, at 4:56 AM, ossandust <ossan.dust@...> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 03:33 AM, chrisw_63 wrote:
I'd wait for Ossandust to respond
Correct and complete answers. I have nothing to add.
Or maybe 1 presumption (not a fact) : when in the selection dropdownbox the interface name is shown as something general like "USB MIDI interface", it means that the interface doesn't have its own driver, and it relies on the default driver of the OS. This has more chance to fail than a brand specific driver which normally has been tested on the different supported operating systems before release.
The issue with the trial version communication check is that it doesn't want to interfere with the current setup in the FCB1010. Therefore it just uploads the setup from FCB1010 to computer, and checks the validity of the received sysex format. The "invalid respose" error is caused by a more extensive communication check, as mentioned in a previous reply: after each patchdump (from computer to FCB1010) the editor again requests the stored patchdump (from FCB1010 to computer), and double checks if the sent content and received content match byte-by-byte.

ossandust

[...]

EJ SHELDON

You see that rectangular widget on the cable? That's the interface. You may need to enable RECEIVE SYSEX on the FCB (read the FCB Manual for directions). That may have been made unnecessary on v1.0.3, but I'm not sure.

Make sure that in ControlCenter/SETUP/Select MIDI Ports that both the IN and OUT ports are set correctly. Also, the DIN connectors on those type of interfaces are usually marked IN and OUT. Counter-intuitively, the one marked IN goes to the FCB OUT and vice versa.

If it still doesn't work, odds are good that while it will work with a MIDI keyboard, and it uploaded the sysex from the FCB, it won't correctly pass the sysex that's created by ControlCenter going the other way. There's a list of compatible interfaces in the DATABASE section of the UNO area in this forum.

uno@fcb1010.groups.io | Databases

Among others, these are known to work:

Amazon.com: Roland UM-ONE-MK2 One in Two Out Midi Cable: Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: iConnectivity mio 1-in 1-out USB to MIDI Interface for Mac and PC: iConnectivity: Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: M-Audio Midisport Uno | Portable 1-in/1-out MIDI Interface via USB connection (16 x 16 MIDI channels),Black: Musical Instruments

chrisw_63

You ARE using a MIDI/USB interface.  It's that box in the middle of the cable.  If it weren't a MIDI/USB interface, it would be useless, because 5-pin DIN MIDI and USB don't speak each other's language.

While the price on that one would make you think it's a decent quality, I've never heard of that brand before.  Of course, the higher price could be reflecting the USB C connector.  I hope you still have the package, because I'm fairly sure you'll want to return it.  Invalid response during patchdump means the FCB1010 didn't get the same data that the computer sent out.  If nothing else has changed, it pretty much has to be the 'Fasgear' interface.  I'd wait for Ossandust to respond, just to be sure it can't be something else, but the good ones I've heard that work are the iConnectivity 'mio', Roland UM-ONE, and M-Audio Uno.  I think there was one more, but I don't remember the name (have we started that Uno2 Compatibility List yet?).

If it's the interface, the problem is the cheaper USB/MIDI adapters don't have a large buffer (RAM memory), and a SYSEX message like the one used to program the FCB1010 is pretty large.  USB is many times faster than MIDI, and the computer just sends the whole thing as fast as it can.  The USB device can tell the computer to wait while it empties the buffer, but these companies don't even bother to program that feature.  When the buffer gets full, the data that's still coming is lost, and Control Center lets you know about it.

Joseph Hammons

Hi,

I am a complete beginner in using midi.  I bought a Behringer FCB1010 on eBay with the UnO V1.0.3 to use to control Amplitube 5 on my Mac (running Big Sur).  To program the FCB1010, I also purchased the FCB/UnO Control Center version 2.  Prior to purchasing, I ran the trial version of ControlCenter which allowed you to establish a connection with the FCB1010 and upload its setups which was stated to confirm it works with your set-up.  I have the FCB1010 connected to my Mac with a USB/Midi cable  (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J6XVWFN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and no interface in between.  However when I try and use the Control Center to send a configuration to the FCB1010, it disconnects and I get the error "Invalid response during patchdump". FCB/UnO referred me to this forum and said to look at the Midi interface.  Since I am not using a midi interface and only a cable between my Mac and the FCB1010, will my configuration work?  Since I could upload a configuration from the FCB1010 to my Mac using the Control Center it would seem this should work.  Any ideas on what may be occurring.  Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone could provide.