Programming uno problem

chrisw_63

That's great, but why are you replying to Charles Fox's thread as if you were the Original Poster?

dennis quinn <dennisq@...>

Thanks for your reply. 
Please note no USB connections are involved.
The 1010 and  Rocktron are connected by a MIDI lead.
This works fine with an FC 200, I just want the expression pedals on the 1010 to do the same.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 16/06/2021 17:33 (GMT+00:00)
To: main@fcb1010.groups.io
Subject: Re: [fcb1010] Programming uno problem

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 10:20 AM, dennis quinn wrote:
Thanks for the reply, however I fear I may be asking the wrong question !

No, you WERE asking the correct question.
NOW you're asking the wrong question.
FIRST you need to be able to program the FCB/UNO to do what you want, WHATEVER that is.
Start by answering the questions I asked. 
THEN we can help you with your problem.

Charles Fox

Hey, solved my own problem. I switched the Control Center setting in "preferences" from one large sysex to multiple small sysex messages.

chrisw_63

I have the iConnect MIDI 2+, and it's always worked great.

Charles Fox

I am using an iconnect midi2. I am aware of the cheap cable problems, as I have done a lot of midi stuff in the past. I'll try my M-audio interface, which is older but works fine.

EJ SHELDON

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 10:20 AM, dennis quinn wrote:

No, you WERE asking the correct question.
NOW you're asking the wrong question.
FIRST you need to be able to program the FCB/UNO to do what you want, WHATEVER that is.
Start by answering the questions I asked. 
THEN we can help you with your problem.

dennis quinn <dennisq@...>

HI,

My problem is more straightforward ; I want to use the expression pedal(s) on the 1010 to control volume on my Rocktron Voodu Valve guitar pre-amp. I have used a Roland FC 200 with no problem but the 1010 will not play ball.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Dennis

From: main@fcb1010.groups.io <main@fcb1010.groups.io> On Behalf Of chrisw_63
Sent: 16 June 2021 16:53
To: main@fcb1010.groups.io
Subject: Re: [fcb1010] Programming uno problem

Does sound like a cheap USB MIDI adapter problem.  For those who don't know and might be interested...  The cheaper MIDI USB adapters use an (obviously) cheap microcontroller to take MIDI from USB and send it to the DIN plug, and vice versa.  For most MIDI - notes and control messages - this works fine (assuming it works at all - not a guarantee with the cheap ones).  But the cheap micros have a very small amount of memory, and USB is much faster than MIDI.  So when Control Center tries to send the large SYSEX command to the FCB1010 at USB speeds, their tiny memory gets overwhelmed and some of the SYSEX message is lost.  Think of it like batting practice with a pitching machine.  If you're good, a few balls a minute is fairly easy to hit, no matter how fast the machine is pitching them.  Jack that machine up to a few balls per second, and the batter is going down.

The most commonly used MIDI messages are two to four bytes - tiny!.  SYSEX messages can be as small as three bytes, but that wouldn't do much, and they can be as large as needed.  The SYSEX command to program the FCB is about 2400 bytes - 800x larger than the average MIDI message (well.. average MIDI 1.0 message.  MIDI 2.0 may expand that a bit).  Many of those little microcontrollers only have 2k of RAM, and they need some of it for their program to work, so you can see how they might lose some of the message.

chrisw_63

Does sound like a cheap USB MIDI adapter problem.  For those who don't know and might be interested...  The cheaper MIDI USB adapters use an (obviously) cheap microcontroller to take MIDI from USB and send it to the DIN plug, and vice versa.  For most MIDI - notes and control messages - this works fine (assuming it works at all - not a guarantee with the cheap ones).  But the cheap micros have a very small amount of memory, and USB is much faster than MIDI.  So when Control Center tries to send the large SYSEX command to the FCB1010 at USB speeds, their tiny memory gets overwhelmed and some of the SYSEX message is lost.  Think of it like batting practice with a pitching machine.  If you're good, a few balls a minute is fairly easy to hit, no matter how fast the machine is pitching them.  Jack that machine up to a few balls per second, and the batter is going down.

The most commonly used MIDI messages are two to four bytes - tiny!.  SYSEX messages can be as small as three bytes, but that wouldn't do much, and they can be as large as needed.  The SYSEX command to program the FCB is about 2400 bytes - 800x larger than the average MIDI message (well.. average MIDI 1.0 message.  MIDI 2.0 may expand that a bit).  Many of those little microcontrollers only have 2k of RAM, and they need some of it for their program to work, so you can see how they might lose some of the message.

EJ SHELDON

After you installed the chip, did you do the initialization steps as described on page 1 in the UNO manual?
If YES 
Did you check here:
uno@fcb1010.groups.io | Table
to see if your interface is fully compatible with patch dumps? What make/model is your interface?
FYI - you're in the regular FCB1010 Forum asking UNO questions. I won't tell anybody, but in the future.....

Charles Fox

Hi
I bought the UNO 1.04 chip and installed it, and also the software the FCB Control Center. My MIDI interface is working fine, I can see the messages from the FCB coming in with the Midi In monitor, and I have set up some global config things on the FCB and it transfers to the software OK. My issue is getting info from the software to the FCB. I can set a preset in the software up the way I want, and it functions correctly with the "simulated FCB", but when I press the "send to FCB" I get "invalid response on patchdump" on my computer, and it erases the FCB, and if I try to send MIDI info from the FCB to the software, the monitor window says "reset" for each  footswitch press. I have initialized the FCB a few times and started over, but I would really like to use this software which I paid for.