FCB1010 first steps w/UnO chip and total desesperation

Antonio Díaz

Hi there people,

I purchased some years ago this thing to a guy and I have never managed to make it work. I'm using UnO v.1..0.2 and I would love to be able to make it work with Studio One and Amplitube 4 o 5.

I have tried several MIDI editors (including FCBUnOControlCenter free version) but I just arrive to two different scenarios (none of them satisfying):

1. I can use both expression pedals in standalone Amplitube 4, while footswitches just change programs (MIDI learn does not work).

2. When I load Amplitube via Studio One, this DAW recognizes every switch (except UP and DOWN) throught MIDI monitoring, but since MIDI learn function does not work, it seems to be useless.

So my question is do I really need to create a sysex file to go? should I purchase FCBUnOControlCenter if my needs are so specific or is there any file around here that does the job?

Thanks!

Jack Fenton

I don't think the Up/Down pedals will send any MIDI with any version of firmware.  However, there may be a special version made by Uno that allows this with TinyBox.
For raw MIDI messages for all pedals, I use EurekaProm with IO Mode.and handle all MIDI processing externally.

EJ SHELDON

Yes, you need to create a custom sysex for use with Amplitube.
Yes, I can provide one. BUT....
First, what MIDI interface are you using? Not all of them will pass sysex.
Second, you need UNO_ControlCenter. There is no FREE version of UNO_ControlCenter, only a demo version that won't save or transmit sysex.
So, what MIDI interface are you using?

Antonio Díaz

Edited

Thank you, dudes.

By "MIDI interface" you mean the cable? Sorry for my noobness.... I`m using a MIDI/USB cable made by Otraki. It seems to save and transmits sysex messages properly.

Would you mind to share that custom sysex for Amplitube, please? If I have to purchase UNO_ControlCenter I will of course, but I have been using other MIDI editors and I don't understand why this UNO_ControlCenter is needed.

Thanks!

EJ SHELDON

If you're UNO chip is 1.0.2 (NOT 1.0.2f) then the other editors MIGHT work.
I recommend UNO_ControlCenter because it's the best, written by the creator of the UNO chip, and the easiest to use by far.

I'll attach the .syx version. It didn't import properly to the Ed Dixon Editor, but that could be because I don't have an FCB connected, and the UNO options are greyed out.
I'll also attach a screenshot of the spreadsheet view. You MIGHT be able to use it to re-create the .syx in whatever editor you're using.

When you decide that you're ready to get the editor that I (and most everybody else here) recommends, let me know and I'll send the .lgp (Uno_ControlCenter) version.

Antonio Díaz

Thanks man.

I don't know what's wrong with my MIDI editors: they hang constantly, report MIDI out or in error... Even the official one says now there's something wrong with MIDI out... So I have not been able the file you kindly attached.

I guess I have been messing around too much with this thing, since now it's working (almost) properly with Amplitube 5 standalone but when I check out Studio One MIDI activity, it is registering PC's, not CC's (which are the needed instructions, am I wrong?).

Since this seems to be too much for me, let me please just one more question: when I purchase the official MIDI editor, will I be able to setup to make it work properly via Studio One since mi FW is finally 1.0.2f? If this is just doable, I will buy it soon.

And THANKS!!! 

Jack Fenton

If you are working on Windows it is very important to only have 1 MIDI application open at a given time as applications cannot share MIDI ports on Windows PC. This is likely the issue you are facing.

Antonio Díaz

Thanks! This was probably one of the issues I'm facing, yeah. Totally MIDI-noob.

Now it seems I have been able to load properly a sysex, but when I open Studio One, which use it's my main objective, I have found very strange MIDI monitoring messages:

When I press any switch, the descripcion says it's a Controller Modulation [127] AND Controller Modulation [0], which, AFAIK, are max and min values, and when I press expression pedals, I see "Controller Poly Mode OnOff [0-127]".

This does not seem to be a desirable scenario...

EJ SHELDON

v1.0.2f does not work properly with the free editors. I know because that's the version I had (before UNO2).
Get UNO_ControlCenter PAID version.
RTM. It's EXCELLENT!
Create and transmit a sysex.
IF FAIL THEN
it's probably the MIDI Interface.
iConnectivity MIO works great. Many others also, but it's a crapshoot.

You need CC#s for the STOMP buttons. By default, Amplitube uses values of 0 = ON;127 = OFF.
This is the reverse of the way everybody else does it. It can be changed, but not Globally, therefore a PITA.
Make sure that your Exp Pedal settings are included in EVERY Preset, including the STOMPS.
The Exp Pedals won't work unless you first press a button (STOMP or PRESET) which has them assigned.
Unlike previous versions of Amplitube, v5 does not provide Global settings for FX Bypass.
Each effect in each preset has to be set manually. PITA.
I asked them about that. They don't care enough to even respond.

Attached is the .lgp (UNO_ControlCenter) version of the AT3 sysex.

EJ SHELDON

Suggestions:

1) Get a MIDI Monitor so you can see exactly what the FCB is sending. You THINK you got a proper sysex transfer, but did you really?
    UNO_ControlCenter has one built in. Just sayin'.

2) Get Amplitube working in standalone mode BEFORE adding the complication of Studio One.

I can help you with the standalone version, and afterwards using Amplitube in Reaper, Ableton or Cakewalk, but I don't use Studio One (tried it, hated it).

EJ SHELDON

Just re-installed the Studio One trial, to see if I could get Amplitube working for you.
Now I remember why I hated Studio One - the Demo version is crippled, won't allow 3rd party plugins.
Automatic rejection!

Antonio Díaz

Don't worry bro. I just can't get this thing to work. Standalone is great to have some fun but I just wanted to record it. I guess I'll purcharse Uno_controlcenter when I have some money spare and will give it a try. I hope it works then.

I really appreciate ALL your comments, efforts and general attitude. This is the old Internet I used to love.

Big hug to every motherf***** rockers out there!

De: main@fcb1010.groups.io <main@fcb1010.groups.io> en nombre de EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...>
Enviado: martes, 5 de octubre de 2021 19:37
Para: main@fcb1010.groups.io <main@fcb1010.groups.io>
Asunto: Re: [fcb1010] FCB1010 first steps w/UnO chip and total desesperation

Just re-installed the Studio One trial, to see if I could get Amplitube working for you.
Now I remember why I hated Studio One - the Demo version is crippled, won't allow 3rd party plugins.
Automatic rejection!

EJ SHELDON

Reason I said to use standalone was to test your sysex ITRW, without the intermediary of Studio One.
Come back when you're ready, I'll be here!

Antonio Díaz

Hi there again:

I was going to finally purchase the license to use FCBUnOControlCenter, since the FCB1010 seems to work (more or less, since I have to deal with problems such as the fact that bypassing any Amplitube 5 pedal works but not when I want to re-activate that pedal), when I have noticed that Studio One, the DAW I'm using, prompts a warning message when I run it ("Failed to open USB MIDI interface!").

I would really like to know if there is any known issue with the FCB1010 w/Uno and Studio One: this DAW seems to recognizes the machine, since when I push any button and the expression pedals, MIDI monitoring does recognize the input.

Since the sysex I'm trying to use (kindly provided right here) has been transmited with FCB1010 PC Editor, could it's not properly transmited?

Sorry for being so reiterative: I must confess I'm not specially computer savvy and, moreover, I would not like to spend 25 euros just to get frustated.

Thank you mates and BTW, Happy Halloween!

Jack Fenton

I would recommend UNO Control Center. Once I bought it all my problems disappeared.

With that said, you could use Bome SendSX to sent SysEx files at lower rates if you are on WIndows PC.

EJ SHELDON

Have you tried ANY of the things I suggested?

Start over.

BUY UNO_CONTROLCENTER!
Unless you value your time at a LOT less than minimum wage, you've already spent more than the 25 Euros it would have cost to just buy it!
You're ALREADY frustrated, so what do you have to lose?

After you get your license, READ THE MANUAL! It's REALLY well done, with pictures and everything!

THEN

Perform a factory reset on the FCB - boot holding 1+6.
Load the file I provided into the FCB using UNO_ControlCenter (the .lgp file). Use a FRESH COPY in case you somehow hosed it with PC Editor.
Test the pedals using the UNO_ControlCenter MIDI Monitor.

Is Everything working?

IF YES THEN

Open Amplitube in STANDALONE mode. That will remove S1 as a possible source of the problem.
I ASS U ME that you know how to configure Amplitube for MIDI and assign the commands in the FCB as required?
If not, RTM!

Does it work?

If YES THEN we'll move on to S1.
IF NO THEN what EXACTLY is happening?

I'm sorry if my yelling bothers you, but DUDE! I've been using Amplitube with the FCB for a LOONG time!
I'm TRYING to help you. Follow instructions and we'll have this working in no time at all!

Antonio Díaz

Edited

Hi dude,

Your yelling is just what I needed: you are completely right. Thanks, I really appreciate your vehemence.

1. So I purchased the license as soon as I saw your message and read the manual (some stuff is a little bit confusing to me - English is not my mother tongue, so maybe I'm losing important info).

2. I performed a factory reset as you told me and load the file you provided me some time ago (AT4 -UNO NEW wPrev-Next.lgp, righ?). The pedals work just fine according to the UNO_ControlCenter MIDI Monitor.

3. I opened Amplitube 5 in Standalone mode and the pedals just change presets, while the expression and volumen pedal can learn MIDI and work properly. Maybe this is the main problem to begin with: when you said "
I ASS U ME that you know how to configure Amplitube for MIDI and assign the commands in the FCB as required?", I just use MIDI learn function, but I think there is something else I'm missing. Any help will be extremely welcomed.

4. When I load Studio One the problems seem to get a little more strange: I load a audio track with Amplitube 5 and an instrument track to monitor MIDI signals, but it just does not work at all. MIDI signals are properly recieved according to S1 MIDI monitor, but they don't seem to reach to Amplitube 5. This is really strange to me, since I can use my MIDI keyboard and control Amplitube 5 wah effects with its modullation wheel, so again there must be something I'm missing here.

As you can see I'm still lost. Maybe there is a basic guide out there to program the FCB from scracht??

BTW, now, S1 does not display any MIDI communication when loading. I assume no file was properly loaded before, when I was using free MIDI UnO editors.

EJ SHELDON

I have the lower row of pedals configured as Stomp Boxes. In the editor, when you step on the pedals on the lower row, you should see (in the box labeled MIDI IN Monitor) CC#s 111-112-113-114-115.
IF YES THEN
In Amplitube, in a given Preset, you should be able (using LEARN) to assign an effect's bypass to any of those Pedals/CC#s.
IF YES THEN
In Amplitube, having loaded some Presets into the SETTINGS (upper right - hamburger icon)>CONTROL>PROGRAM CHANGE page, pressing any of the top row pedals should change presets.
IF YES THEN
Amplitube and the FCB are correctly configured and working together.

On to S1. 3rd party plugins are NOT supported by the demo.
Worst manual I've ever seen! "You can do ANYTHING! BUT we won't tell you HOW!"
I have one of their plugins working with the FCB, stomps and expression pedals.
Let me know when all of the above are confirmed, and everything shows properly in the S1 MIDI Monitor. stomps and exp pedals.

EJ SHELDON

Here's a screenshot of what I've done so far in S1.
You should be able to assign Amplitube controls the same way, but I'm not going to spend $100 on upgrading to the S1 Artist version just to test it, I'll let you do that :-).
Besides the money, the more I learn about S1 the less I like it. What a PITA way to do MIDI!
It's SO easy with Reaper, LIVE! and Cakewalk, and they all have FREE versions that allow 3rd party plugins!

Antonio Díaz

Hello again, dude. Thanks for your patience!

I have trying to make this work but I've found some issues that maybe are preventing everything to go right:

1. When I press Down button, FCB displays "09" (from "00"), and, according to a thread where you explain how to use Amplitube with this device (https://fcb1010.groups.io/g/uno/topic/fcb1010_uno_with_amplitube/45248137?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,40,45248137), it should displays "18", which is what UnO Control Center virtual pedal displays when I push virtual DOWN pedal!! I assume there is something I have done just wrong here.
  2. Everytime I open UnO Control Center and I click "Receive patchdump from FCB", it does not load latest file I've loaded before (AT4 -UNO NEW wPrev-Next). Maybe I'm doing something wrong here to? I just load that file from File/Open... UnO Control Center menu and then I click "Send patchdump to FCB", then save and exit. Is this the right procedure?
  3. There seems to be a strange discrepancy between UnO Control Center MIDI IN monitor information and the one displayed in "MIDI output for preset": if I push virtual pedal 1, I get "Ch.01 CrtlChange 111 000/127", but, in MIDI IN monitor it displays "Ch.01 ProgChange 001" and so on... Moreover, above pedal one, it says "PRESET 096", which seems so strange to me. BTW, Studio One MIDI monitor information is this:

Pedal 1: Message C0 00 00 Description Program Change Channel 1 Port [IN] USB MIDI Interface

Pedal 10: Message C0 09 00 Description Program Change Channel 1 Port [IN] USB MIDI Interface

Wah pedal: Message B0 1B 01 Description Controller Control 27 [1-127] Port [IN] USB MIDI Interface

vol pedal: Message B0 07 00 Description Controller Volume [0-127] Port [IN] USB MIDI Interface

So, by now, pedals just work to change presets in Amplitube... I guess I'm beggining to see the light, but still it's quite dark to me. 🙂 So, if the problem would be finally Studio One, I would consider trying Reaper.

De: main@fcb1010.groups.io <main@fcb1010.groups.io> en nombre de EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...>
Enviado: lunes, 1 de noviembre de 2021 0:35
Para: main@fcb1010.groups.io <main@fcb1010.groups.io>
Asunto: Re: [fcb1010] FCB1010 first steps w/UnO chip and total desesperation

I have the lower row of pedals configured as Stomp Boxes. In the editor, when you step on the pedals on the lower row, you should see (in the box labeled MIDI IN Monitor) CC#s 111-112-113-114-115.
IF YES THEN
In Amplitube, in a given Preset, you should be able (using LEARN) to assign an effect's bypass to any of those Pedals/CC#s.
IF YES THEN
In Amplitube, having loaded some Presets into the SETTINGS (upper right - hamburger icon)>CONTROL>PROGRAM CHANGE page, pressing any of the top row pedals should change presets.
IF YES THEN
Amplitube and the FCB are correctly configured and working together.

On to S1. 3rd party plugins are NOT supported by the demo.
Worst manual I've ever seen! "You can do ANYTHING! BUT we won't tell you HOW!"
I have one of their plugins working with the FCB, stomps and expression pedals.
Let me know when all of the above are confirmed, and everything shows properly in the S1 MIDI Monitor. stomps and exp pedals.