Topics

88 msg + won't let me factory reset

anna

Hey everyone! I searched the threads and couldn't find a solution, so apologies if I missed something! I recently got an FCB1010 (using the chip it comes with, no upgrades) and I was trying to send program it to send midi messages to MaxMSP. I got sort of close from doing the programming via 'riverdance' (lol) but it would send multiple numbers, sometimes weird numbers that I didn't program, etc. I had a friend help me out, and downloaded the FCB1010 Manager, but I made the mistake of opening it when my FCB was plugged into my computer (with both midi in and out plugged in), and ever since then, I get the flashing 88 when I turn on my FCB.

I didn't send anything to it when I opened the Manager, but that is definitely when the problem started. Other info: I'm using a Roland UM-ONE mk2, going into an apple USB C adapter, with my mid-2019 Macbook Pro.

I can't factory reset, I can't turn it on in global config mode, I can't do a pedal calibration, it always turns on with the 88. I can get it to stop blinking if I go to edit on of the pedals, but it doesn't solve anything, since it still sends multiple numbers, or nothing at all, to Max... ughhh

I'm hoping there is a fix, I guess worst case scenario I'll try getting one of the upgrade chips, but does anyone have any recommendations to try before that? Will the upgrade chip even help with this? Thanks in advance!

chrisw_63

This is most certainly NOT anything you did, unless you zapped it with a taser or hooked the MIDI jack up to mains power.  The factory reset is hard coded into the unit and should always work.  If you cannot factory reset, your FCB1010 is defective and you should get a replacement (if you bought it new) or a refund.  I have no doubt that whatever is wrong is an easy fix, but at the rates repair shops charge you're better off just returning the unit.

Should you have some reason you can't or don't want to return it, there are a couple things to try.  The first is getting a new PROM - the firmware chip.  My guess is it's something electronic that failed, so it's a long shot, but the UnO chip is only $20 or so.  Next if you have a friend or someone you trust that works in the electronics industry you can ask to take a look, give them a shot. Most repair shops will charge you well over half the price of a new FCB1010.  Unless you bought it for next to nothing, it's not worth it.

Raul Ramirez Ramirez <raulramirezramirez@...>

Por favor en español

Gracias

Raúl Ramírez Ramírez
Gerente General
Ramírez Editores y Consultores S.A.C.
www.ramirezcontabilidad.com
www.linkedin.com/in/raulramirezramirez
www.facebook.com/ramirezcontabilidad
Tel 989 396 861
raulramirez@...

El miércoles, 4 de marzo de 2020 10:28:19 a. m. GMT-5, chrisw_63 <chrisw_63@...> escribió:

[...]

Roger Colwell

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 07:03 PM, Raul Ramirez Ramirez wrote:
Por favor en español
It is possible for you to make your own English to Spanish translations by using Google Translate:
https://translate.google.es/
Puede realizar sus propias traducciones del inglés al español utilizando Google Translate:
https://translate.google.es/

--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

anna

Thank you again Chris for the detailed help!

I am seriously kicking myself, I got it from Reverb "used" except the person hadn't actually used it (bought it new a year ago and didn't need it), and I am friends with the person I bought it from, so I don't think I can get a refund (or I could, but I'd feel bad about it because they are a freelance musician, etc etc why did I impulse buy this) but luckily I have a few friends who make their own hardware, maybe I can bug them about helping with de-soldering / replacing the RAM chip, though I just did a quick search and am not sure how to get a new RAM chip? Should I try contacting Behringer even though I didn't get it new?

Thank you again!

ossandust

admiral.caffeine@...

You might have your hardware oriented friend "reflow" all the solder around the RAM chips.  Perhaps it's simply a cold solder joint and not a bad chip.

chrisw_63

So sorry for the position you're in.  Removing and replacing that chip isn't hard IF you have the tools and experience.  Sadly, that's not a common skill set.  Behringer would probably repair it for you.  I have no idea what they would charge.  Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be a free fix!  (I can dream!)  I really would at least tell your friend what's going on, and let them decide if they want to help you get it fixed.