Topics

Another Question about the UnO Chip and Software

llatham@...

Hello again. I've been using my FCB stock. I've been using it with my Line 6 M13 effects unit and pretty much figured out some cool things to do with it stock.

I ran into a situation this past week where I could have actually used it as a foot controller for a Synth to play notes with it - to use like old Taurus Pedals for example (I know it doesn't make its own sounds, I'd just be triggering a synth bass patch with it via MIDI).

So my question now is, if I were to use the UnO chip, could I set it up so say Bank 0 - 5 were in stombox mode, while banks 6-9 were set so the 10 footswitches sent Note Messages to play synth pitches? Can I "mix and match" like that?

I'm still not totally clear on with the UnO chip if you can just have every bank be different arrangements, or if once you've set up stompox mode it's always on for every bank on at least the top or bottom row.

If not I can always by a 2nd FCB and use it with keys. Even stock it would work pretty well for that.

EJ SHELDON

"once you've set up stompox mode it's always on for every bank on at least the top or bottom row."

This. On one row or the other, but always the same row.

llatham@...

Hello again EJ.

What I'm asking is if the stompox mode can be turned on or off per bank?

If I can't, the manual implies that even though they're in stombox mode, the footswitches can still send any type of message as per the original (just the LED behavior is changed). If so that would be OK for playing pitches like I want to because in that case the state is unimportant - as long as I could assign a note message to all 10 pedals in a given bank.

EJ SHELDON

Edited

"What I'm asking is if the stompox mode can be turned on or off per bank?"

No.

While the Stompboxes can send any signal you want, they will always send the same signals, on the same MIDI Channels, in every Bank.
You can send NOTES, but if you want the CC messages also, they're going to send in EVERY Bank.
And the SAME NOTES (when assigned to Stompboxes) will send on every Bank.
BUT....suppose you select a Preset that doesn't REQUIRE CC control - IOW, the devices in that Preset aren't set to respond to CC#s. You would then have 10 Pedals available for NOTES, as the CCs would simply be ignored.
While NOTES assigned to Stomp boxes will always be the same 5 NOTES, the other 5 normal Preset pedals can be assigned different NOTES in each Bank.

Load up the attached sysex.
Bank 00 allows you to select one of 5 presets. The Stomps send CC#s 001-005, and also NOTES 010-014. No NOTES are sent on the lower Bank.
Bank 01 sends no PCs. The Stomps send CC#s 001-005 and also send NOTES 010-014. The Lower Row Preset pedals send NOTES 110-114.
Bank 02 works the same way, but the Lower Row sends NOTES 115-119.
Bank 03 works the same way, but the Lower Row sends NOTES 120-124.
ALL NOTES ALWAYS SEND ON MIDI CHANNEL 2. Everything else sends on Channel 1.
The MIDI Channel selections were totally random on my part, just to demonstrate how the MIDI Channel configuration in Global Settings works.

If you set some of the Presets called by Bank 00 Preset pedals to respond to CC#s but NOT NOTES, and some vice versa, that's how it should work.
*You don't need the UNO Chip to test this, just use the virtual FCB without attempting a connection.

Hope that helps.

llatham@...

Ok that does help.

I'd have to put the 5 black keys on the 5 upper pedals (assuming those are the stompbox ones) and pick 5 other white keys or something goofy probably!

I wish I never sold my old Elka pedal controller for keys!

I might just buy another FCB down the road and use it stock for this purpose - one in E Major, one in G Major, etc. - or song specific so I can have correct octaves for a song (wouldn't even have to be a scale, and could be high notes, or trigger samples on my synth). If I was playing both keys and guitar (which I often have to do) I'd need both anyway...

chrisw_63

Since most western scales only have 8 notes, the FCB1010 has plenty of foot switches for a scale as long as it's not in stompbox mode.  You even have two extra so you can add a couple jazz notes, passing tones, or set them to tell your synth to change octaves.  With ten banks, you can have ten different scales programmed at the same time.

That said, the FCB1010 isn't ideal for that kind of thing.