Compatible MIDI - USB adapters

Strumboli

I'm new to the FCB1010 although my IT background means it's not a problem programming the presets and can control various midi devices from the FCB1010. So why am I posting? Well, there are some issues that I'm hoping someone can help me with. The FCB1010 is unmodified and has the original v 2.5 eprom. Tests 1 - 3 below were done using the useful Un02 Midi Monitor app (v 1.0.6)
  1. ExpA doesn't output any values and doesn't send any midi signals when operated.
  2. ExpB only outputs the start or end of the configured range, nothing in between even when moved slowly
  3. Although the foot pedals all produce the expected results and midi commends sent from the monitor out are all echoed on the midi in display, the test function returns "An invalid version response was received" or "A timeout occured during the version request."
  4.  I also tried using the FCB1010 Manger software but couldn't get it to accept a sysex from the FCB1010 after following the on screen nstructions.
It's possible that my midi-usb adapter isn't up to the job but I can't find a list of known compatible adapters. Here's the one I'm using

I tried all the above from my Mac (Mac mini intel cpu) and my Windows 10 laptop. There were seprate problems on the Mac where the Chrome browser blocked some midi i/o but the tests on the Windows laptop were done after Chrome had been uninstalled and the laptop rebooted. So looking forward to realising the potential of the FCB1010 that attracted me in the first place and upgrading to a Un02 is my aim at the moment.

EJ SHELDON

What editor are you using? The only way to know for sure what's happening is to configure a sysex in an editor and send it to the FCB.
If the send fails (maybe the editor will tell you that), then it's likely a problem with the interface.
Don't forget to enable sysex on the FCB before attempting the send (RTM).
I have two, exactly identical to the one pictured, probably made in the same Chinese factory. One passes sysex, the other doesn't.
My recommendations - get the iConnectivity MIO interface. It just works, and will work with UNO2 also - mine does.
If you're going to stick with the stock chip, get UNO_ControlCenter Editor. For $22, it's the best, and worth every penny.
If you're planning on switching to UNO2, just go for it! It's a great chip!
The website allows you to test your interface to see if it's compatible with UNO2. The one I mentioned (as pictured) that worked with the regular UNO chip failed, which is when I bought the MIO.

cem engin

Yes, I have two of them as well, bought separately and very far away from each other, but they all look exactly the same... Yet one does work and the other one is very moody! But mostly doesn't work! They are for sure from China...

So not very dependable I am afraid...

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 01:07 PM, cem engin wrote:
So not very dependable I am afraid...

But cheap! ;-)

Danne Jörgensen

hi
I recognize the problem
I had 2 pieces of the same MIDI-USB adapter that you have
One worked the other gave the same error message that you get.
So my conclusion is that the problem lies in the midi-USB adapter

Danne

4 okt. 2021 kl. 21:10 skrev EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...>:

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 01:07 PM, cem engin wrote:
So not very dependable I am afraid...

But cheap! ;-)

mangsong

I am new 1010 owner (V2.5), and was grappling with this very issue.  My Roland UM-ONE was recognized in the FCB1010 Manager selection field, but the sysex data was not received - either way.

I finally rerouted thru the Clarett 8-pre, and presto, success!

I’ve used the UM-ONE for years to connect my iPad and other synths for real time messaging without any issues.

Who knew?  We all do now.

On Oct 4, 2021, at 12:07 PM, cem engin via groups.io <cemengin911@...> wrote:

[...]

<midi-usb.jpg>
I tried all the above from my Mac (Mac mini intel cpu) and my Windows 10 laptop. There were seprate problems on the Mac where the Chrome browser blocked some midi i/o but the tests on the Windows laptop were done after Chrome had been uninstalled and the laptop rebooted. So looking forward to realising the potential of the FCB1010 that attracted me in the first place and upgrading to a Un02 is my aim at the moment.
<midi-usb.jpg>

EJ SHELDON

The UM-ONE MkII is listed in the compatibility db as working with Win7 and v1.0.2f, and with OSX with 1.0.2f and 1.0.3.
IDK what was being used here, but IME the Ed Dixon Editor (MtnSystems) was a PITA with any interface.

mangsong

You know, I didn’t look it up - just anticipated it would work as MIDI is a vintage protocol.  So there’s some more learning.  Thanks.

On Oct 4, 2021, at 2:25 PM, EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...> wrote:

The UM-ONE MkII is listed in the compatibility db as working with Win7 and v1.0.2f, and with OSX with 1.0.2f and 1.0.3.
IDK what was being used here, but IME the Ed Dixon Editor (MtnSystems) was a PITA with any interface.

EJ SHELDON

My point was that it might work fine with other editors. You should test it here:

UnO2 (fcb1010.eu)

If it passes, at worst you have a viable and portable alternative/backup for the Clarett.

mangsong

Thanks.  I also have the slightly newer Roland UM-1G (Branded Cakewalk) and will test and advise.

On Oct 4, 2021, at 4:47 PM, EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...> wrote:

My point was that it might work fine with other editors. You should test it here:

UnO2 (fcb1010.eu)

If it passes, at worst you have a viable and portable alternative/backup for the Clarett.

Strumboli

Thanks to everyone, EJ, Danne and Cem, for your help. Looks like the midi-usb adapter is the prime suspect so I’ve ordered a UM-ONE Mk II to arrive today (Wed). Assuming this passes the Un02 (fcb1010.eu) test that it failed before, I’ll go for Un02. Otherwise, I’ll try the MIO.

I thought I’d gone through all the group docs but couldn’t find the compatibility db.

I’ll let you know how it goes

Regards,

Strumboli

EJ SHELDON

The Compatibility db is in the UNO group, in the Database section.

Strumboli

Thanks, I have it now but the good news is that the Roland UM-ONE Mk II worked with my Mac, when I say worked, it passed the Sysex test, part of the fcb1010.eu Midi Monitor app. Have now ordered a Un02 chip and ControlCenter software

There was a problem at first, only read on if you are interested in Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina). Roland offer several different drivers for the UM-ONE, to suit 10.10, 10.11 etc. The 10.15 I used had copious instructions about setting up a copy of the device in MIDI Studio (part of the Mac’s Audio MIDI setup app) then linking the new one to the original. I did all that but the UM-ONE performed worse than my generic MIDI-USB adapter that didn’t have a driver. Using the Apple MIDI Studio was new to me so I wondered if I should have done something similar with my generic adapter. When I did, the generic was as bad as the UN-ONE so I undid all the copy device linking nonsense and the generic went back to as it was (not great) and the UN-ONE worked and appears UN02 ready. I’ll check it all when I get the Un02 chip and update the compatibility db.

From: <main@fcb1010.groups.io> on behalf of EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...>
Reply to: <main@fcb1010.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, 6 October 2021 at 15:53
To: <main@fcb1010.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [fcb1010] Compatible MIDI - USB adapters

The Compatibility db is in the UNO group, in the Database section.