Topics

Custom simple EPROM

James Jennett-Wheeler

Hi,

I want to make an EPROM that:

  • sends momentary CC signals for each pedal including up down
  • sends value of expression pedals on change (usual behaviour)
  • accepts midi in for leds (on/off) above pedals and in config bar (including value on 7 seg displays)
  • accepts midi in for relays (on/off - including leds)
  • doesn't need to have presets
  • doesn't need to change its settings (although I might add this in the future.
I plan to the trouble is, I don't know where to start.

Is it written in C? or something else? How do I listen to midi, how do I target leds or buttons?

I wish I could decompile the official firmware.

Can anyone give me some tips?

P.s. I am a software engineer and amongst other languages I know Java and Swift and have used C# and small amounts of C and have written to PIC controllers when I was doing electronics A-level (UK) 11 years ago but can't really remember it very well.

Ian Ockwell-smith

I Had a hairbrained scheme to use a Teensy as the brain of an old Nobels MF2 midi foot controller but gave up as I couldn’t put the time in to learn programming. If you already know that then it should be possible to connect up the FCB’s F/Sw’s and Exp pedals to the teensy (or similar). This would give you complete control of all parameters...........
......I think.

Sounds good reading it out! In practice I have no idea how easy it would be.

Not sure this helps you at all but am interested to see how it develops.
Good luck.

Ian

On 23 Apr 2018, at 17:55, jwheeler91@... [fcb1010] <fcb1010@...> wrote:

[...]

David Grosz

Now I do not know but I will share something during my research I found the following and if you understand the programming at this level than you are supposed to be able to get the file it should make sense and maybe you can come up with something others can use also. I looked on the Behringer site and the UnO sites and did not see the chip image but it appears that it is out there then if you understand the programming you could change it how you like.  Below is a copy from a page

If you have access to an EPROM burner, you can download a chip image (in the form of a ZIP file) from the Behringer or UnO web sites and use that to create your own updated firmware chip.  Keep in mind that burning your own firmware chip is not an easy procedure and requires special electronics gear that very very few users will either own or have access to.

http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/Firmware.htm

Keep us informed how this goes for you

James Jennett-Wheeler

Hi, It looks like I can't easily decompile the chip, but I have found a schematic, so may have to reverse engineer it a bit.

I plan to get a burner and a few rewritable eproms to do tests with.

My first goal will be to target the leds, so I guess I will just set up a sequence that cycles through each led and runs a count on the 7seg display.

I'll probably not start for a few months, but I'll post here when I start :D

rvorkink

Take a look at http://www.eurekasound.com/eurekaprom , maybe does this what you want?

Jack Fenton

My guess is you will need to program in some sort of assembly language and the you biggest challenge will be the rom/ram limitations of the device. You said you found a schematic? Do you know what processor it runs and how much memory you will have to work with?

I'm sure the Eureka and Uno people could probably help if they wanted to but not likely because your product may end up competing with what they built.

chrisw_63

Your PIC experience will be the closest to what you want with the FCB.  Since you have the schematic, you can get the microcontroller's data sheet, which will have all the instructions on it.  Now you just need a cross-compiler that has a module for that chip.

The hex code is available for writing to your own PROMs.  If you know how, you can disassemble it and get the port numbers for the MIDI and switches, etc.

I plan on using the Teensy or possibly an Adafruit Feather M0 Bluefruit LE. Either can do MIDI over USB out of the box, and the Feather can do MIDI over Bluetooth LE.  Both would be a great upgrade for the FCB.

Good Luck!  Keep us updated - I'd be very interested how it turns out.

Musical Applications

> I wish I could decompile the official firmware.

I assume that the firmware was not written in a high-level language (C, C++, C#, Java).
Look out if you find an 8051 disassembler and assembler.

So, you may want to *disassemble* the firmware. (For example with http://www.bipom.com/dis51.php)

It probably will need some effort to understand the disassembly. It would be nice to hear, if you succeed...

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 09:43 PM, chrisw_63 wrote:
Adafruit Feather M0 Bluefruit LE
Thanks for this.

I have been rethinking recently and have thought it would be easier to pop an Arduino in instead... Bluetooth MIDI sounds like it might be a good idea too however the metal case might interfere with the signal?

Might grab a large arduino first for prototyping, and get a proper small board at a later date.

(Don't expect fast progress on this, lol, I'll be going slow :P)

Rob Capo

I wanted to do the same thing but decided to just buy a Eureka EPROM and use it in IO mode. It freed me up to actually build the software that solved my use case for the pedal by communicating via midi. If you’re just doing this for experimental / learning purposes, then I’ll be really interested to read your findings, but if you’re trying to actually make the pedal useful for yourself, you’ll save a lot of time and probably money by spending 30bucks on the EurekaPROM chip.

good luck!

chrisw_63

I'm working on that as well, though I'm probably going to go with an ESP32.  If you decide to go with Bluetooth MIDI, as you mentioned you will need to get the antenna out of the case.  I'm wondering if I can just hide it under the plastic display.  It's pretty open under there if you aren't using the stock LED indicators.

I have the Feather M0, and it connects via Bluetooth to MIDI on my iPad with no problem using the test program that comes with Adafruit's Bluetooth support library.  I desperately wanted to program this with Python, and that is in the works, but not fully supported on the Bluetooth Feathers yet.  Which is why I'm thinking of moving to the ESP32.  Keep us updated.

On 11/6/2019 6:29 AM, James Jennett-Wheeler wrote:
On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 09:43 PM, chrisw_63 wrote:
Adafruit Feather M0 Bluefruit LE
Thanks for this.

I have been rethinking recently and have thought it would be easier to pop an Arduino in instead... Bluetooth MIDI sounds like it might be a good idea too however the metal case might interfere with the signal?

Might grab a large arduino first for prototyping, and get a proper small board at a later date.

(Don't expect fast progress on this, lol, I'll be going slow :P)

Ian Ockwell-smith

Some time ago I found this site that may be of assistance.
https://mackatackblog.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/behringer-fcb1010-lcd-update/

Ian

Tom Atwood

Awesome thank you!

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 01:52 PM, Rob Capo wrote:
buy a Eureka EPROM and use it in IO mode
AMAZING! That wasn't a thing when I started looking into this. Thanks. Defo just buying that then!

Jack Fenton

Yes, Eureka  IO mode is great! Total control of buttons, LED's and 7 segment display.  I use it with BomeBox running Bome MIDI Translator project.