FCB1010 as Bass pedal

Jack Fenton

Sounds good!

Jack Fenton

You might want to review the Bome MIDI Translator manual regarding the difference between global and local variables. I can see at first glance that your project will not work as you are using local variables which will not be seen across translators.

JM

I didn't know that there were also local variables. I though all of them were global. Thanks for the hint.

JM

Hi

I just finished my project successfully. You will find it here:
https://fcb1010.groups.io/g/main/files/FCB1010%20as%20a%20bass%20pedal

It has some small documentation in case that it is useful for somebody. What I get working here:
  • Bass pedal playback
  • Programming and sending chords through the FCB1010
  • Optionally: chord playback. You may not want the chords to be played back
  • Chord auto detection (at least with my PSR-9000, but it may work for other keyboards)

It has some defaults that you can change inside the code and off course in the global config of your FCB1010
  • I'm using the default MIDI channel 1 for everything inside the FCB1010.
  • For transmitting the data to my keyboard, I'm using channels 4 (for the bass note) and 16 (for the chords)
  • I setup the controllers 14 and 15

This is a first version I did and I'm quite happy with it; however, I will perhaps use a more hardware oriented solution, ie: an Arduino with a MIDI shield. Since the logic is already there, it should be possible to easily migrate it.

Best regards

Josef

Steve Pettinger

Hi Josef,

Thanks very much for your work on this, as a FCB1010 newbie I can only take my hat off to you for coming up with something that can do this; after all playing chords from my feet while playing my bass is a dream come true!

I've not used BOME before so will be a steep learning curve for me, but given the "prize" I could happily spend the rest of my days working towards this :-)

Thanks again Josef

Steve

JM

Hi Steve

It is nice that you can use it. Anyway, I advice you to first try the trial version, which allows you to run it for 20 minutes without interruptions, then you will have to quit it and open it again for 20 minutes. If it is what you expect to be, then you can buy it.

There are in deed two things I disliked from Bome Translator:
  1. I always have to turn on my laptop, login into Windows/MAC, then start the software. For me, a standalone version, where I just have to power on would be much better. Then I don't need extra space for my laptop
  2. Bome Translator only allows to use two letter variable names. For me it would be better to have full names, then following the code would be easier.

Anyway, once you get the code working, I guess you don't need to follow what it does. I haven't tried it a lot, but it seems to work.

Anyway, I will migrate this to a standalone version with a Raspbery Pi 4 (https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b), so, I don't have to turn on my laptop, login into Windows, and start the software. Eventually, I will use eventually the Raspberry for setting up any other MIDI devices I have, ie: sending some commands or even MIDI files. I'm planning to use an USB to MIDI cable I have.

Best regards
Josef

chrisw_63

Edited

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:54 PM, Josef Albert Meile wrote:

There are in deed two things I disliked from Bome Translator:
  1. I always have to turn on my laptop, login into Windows/MAC, then start the software. For me, a standalone version, where I just have to power on would be much better. Then I don't need extra space for my laptop
The Bome Box is exactly this.  It was made to be a portable MIDI translator that doesn't need anything but power to work.  You program it the same way as Translator, using your computer.  Once that's done, you can let it run solo or keep a computer hooked up for modifications or VST plugins.  It's also a good bit more expensive.  :-(

JM

The Bome Box is exactly this.  It was made to be a portable MIDI translator that doesn't need anything but power to work.  You program it the same way as Translator, using your computer.  Once that's done, you can let it run solo or keep a computer hooked up for modifications or VST plugins.  It's also a good bit more expensive.  :-(
Yes, the Bome Box looks good, but it is really too expensive. That's why I will do it with a Raspberry Pi, which is much cheaper. I even got a kit including the hosing for almost what you pay for one without.

JM

Dear all

I also uploaded a version for the Arduino of my Bome Translator project. So, you are free to try it. Please note that when I created this project, I was planning to buy a MIDI Shield for the Arduino; however, since I got a Raspberry Pi 4, I didn't buy that shield. So, the Arduino project is as it is and it may have some minor problems. So, try it at your own risk and keep in mind that I won't be able to debug it.

Best regards
Josef

Jack Fenton

Hi, Josef,

Do you have a link?

TIA

JM

Hi Jack

Yes, it is on the files section of this group:
https://fcb1010.groups.io/g/main/files/FCB1010%20as%20a%20bass%20pedal

Best regards
Josef

Jack Fenton

Thanks,
Did you say you tested it with Arduino without a MIDI shield using SendSX?

JM

Edited

No, I only tested the Bome Translator version. The Arduino version is not tested. I only compiled it on the Arduino IDE and it did without errors. It is just a port from my other version.

Since I don't have the MIDI shield, I couldn't test it. I finally decided to go for a Raspberry pi.

What you read on the documentation is just an idea on how to test it.

JM

OK, now I see. The documentation is not clear about this. You really need the MIDI shield and an USB to MIDI cable in order to try the Arduino with SendSX. I doubt that you can directly connect the USB cable to the Arduino directly because you would need a driver for that, I guess, and there is no way of installing this on the Arduino, but I could be wrong.

chrisw_63

Any microcontroller with native USB functionality (USB on the chip) can do USB MIDI. This includes atmega32u4 based boards and many ARM boards, most of which can be programmed using the Arduino programming environment.  Several of Adafruit's Feather line of microcontroller boards have this (I think it's all of them, but I'm not sure).  I have the Feather 32u4 Bluefruit, and it does USB MIDI and Bluetooth MIDI just fine.  The Teensy line of Arduino 'compatible' (they can do SO much more than the Arduino..lol) microcontroller boards can also do USB MIDI, and they're a little cheaper, at least at the low end, than the Feathers.

If I recall correctly, the USB section has to be reprogrammed for USB MIDI, so after the first program upload to enable it, you lose the ability to program it via on board USB.  You'll need a separate USB to TTL serial board (commonly called FTDI after the chip used) to program it after that.  You can use the FTDI to put the original bootloader back, restoring the board to it's original function if needed.  But while you're debugging the USB MIDI part, it's probably better to just use the FTDI.  That's why I like the Bluetooth version - I can debug all the MIDI stuff over Bluetooth, then deal with USB MIDI last.

Chris Burns

I have been following this thread with anticipation since the question was first asked. I am glad that the community manged to come up with a solution. I have used the Bome Interface on a few occasions for trying to trap CC commands & SysEx from my Roland GR-55. I have planned to use my FCB1010 Uno to control the GR-55 as a fully adjustable parameter Stompbox…

I also use my FCB1010 Uno with my Yamaha Motif Rack ES & GI-20 Guitar Midi Synthesizer interface to play the motif notes from my Ibanez Bass. The Bome software was also used to route the array of USB & 5-Pin Midi connections.

Since then I have ditched using the Bome software and I now use an Iconnectivity Midio4+ for All of my midi merging & routing requirements. It has 4 * 5-pin Din IN/Out Ports, Connectivity for 3 Devices using USB and this doesn’t include the Computer which acts as the DAW Host. The Iconnectivity unit also has Midi over Ethernet RSe which opens up the Iconnectivity routing Midi over Ethernet providing Access to WiFi & Cabled Devices. The possibilities for connectivity just seem to be numerous!

I did initially try running midi mapping / routing software on both the PC & MAC software and although the Macbook Pro is lighter than my Windows Laptop it was still the hassle of taking a computer to practices & Gigs when I wasn’t using Sequencing or DAW capabilities only as a glorified router.

I just power-up the Iconnectivity and thats it! Midi Comms  Away.

I am liking the current track and thoughts of using an Arduino for routing as this should definitely scale down the size the solution and will be cheaper than the solution I opted to go with.

I am happy with my installation using the Iconnectivity but if searching for a home built cheaper solution its definitely a consideration

Chris