Topics

fcb1010 as bass pedals: sysex transfer fail and vst change handholding

The Pirate Kings

I'm trying to use my fcb1010 (firmware 2.5.1E) as a bass pedal trigger and I need a little technical help and possibly some advice about the whole signal chain.

The technical problem I'm having: I'm using the FCB1010 PC Manager software  (version 2.99-2) but when I send and reboot the fcb1010 none of the changes have been applied. I confirmed I can receive data properly (patch 0 pedal 1 plays note 128 when I attach it to a synth in reaper). I try to change it to play note 48 in the software but after I shut the power off and on again it's still playing note 128. Do I need to do something to lock in changes or do I maybe have a hardware problem?

The more general question I have is about the best way to handle changing vst's etc associated with each patch. The documentation for midi can be a bit overwhelming. I'm not using a hardware synth, in my dream I'd like to set up a Raspberry Pi to host vst's but I can use a laptop for now, I've been using reaper so far.  So I'd like to be able to say "ok patch 0 is a square wave bass synth in reasynth, patch 1 is strings in the obxd vst" etc etc. Is using a full DAW the best way to accomplish this, or is there some minimal VST host software that would be better for this? How does one trigger these changes?

Thanks!

chrisw_63

Ergh.  There is no note 128.  Note numbers go from zero to 127.  There's something wrong, and it's most likely your interface.  What are you using for MIDI to USB?

There are dedicated VST hosts, but all the ones I've seen are designed to host one at a time.  If you have Reaper, you really don't need anything else.  Set up your VSTs, and set the FCB1010 to toggle the Enable for the track.  It's not ideal, as disabling a track immediately cuts off sound, but it's easy to do.  A more 'robust' way to do it is to use a MIDI send track, and change which track it sends to using MIDI.  I'm not sure Reaper can do this, but I know I can make it work in Ableton Live.

You could just toggle Mute for each track, but remember that all of the tracks will still be 'running' as far as the computer is concerned.  If you have too much stuff going on, you'll overload it and start getting clicks and cutouts.

Bananas ByTheBunch

https://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

Lightweight dedicated host.

Multiple channels.