Topics

fcb1010 as bass pedals: sysex transfer fail and vst change handholding

The Pirate Kings

I'm trying to use my fcb1010 (firmware 2.5.1E) as a bass pedal trigger and I need a little technical help and possibly some advice about the whole signal chain.

The technical problem I'm having: I'm using the FCB1010 PC Manager software  (version 2.99-2) but when I send and reboot the fcb1010 none of the changes have been applied. I confirmed I can receive data properly (patch 0 pedal 1 plays note 128 when I attach it to a synth in reaper). I try to change it to play note 48 in the software but after I shut the power off and on again it's still playing note 128. Do I need to do something to lock in changes or do I maybe have a hardware problem?

The more general question I have is about the best way to handle changing vst's etc associated with each patch. The documentation for midi can be a bit overwhelming. I'm not using a hardware synth, in my dream I'd like to set up a Raspberry Pi to host vst's but I can use a laptop for now, I've been using reaper so far.  So I'd like to be able to say "ok patch 0 is a square wave bass synth in reasynth, patch 1 is strings in the obxd vst" etc etc. Is using a full DAW the best way to accomplish this, or is there some minimal VST host software that would be better for this? How does one trigger these changes?

Thanks!

chrisw_63

Ergh.  There is no note 128.  Note numbers go from zero to 127.  There's something wrong, and it's most likely your interface.  What are you using for MIDI to USB?

There are dedicated VST hosts, but all the ones I've seen are designed to host one at a time.  If you have Reaper, you really don't need anything else.  Set up your VSTs, and set the FCB1010 to toggle the Enable for the track.  It's not ideal, as disabling a track immediately cuts off sound, but it's easy to do.  A more 'robust' way to do it is to use a MIDI send track, and change which track it sends to using MIDI.  I'm not sure Reaper can do this, but I know I can make it work in Ableton Live.

You could just toggle Mute for each track, but remember that all of the tracks will still be 'running' as far as the computer is concerned.  If you have too much stuff going on, you'll overload it and start getting clicks and cutouts.

Bananas ByTheBunch

https://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

Lightweight dedicated host.

Multiple channels.

Multiple VST’s

MIDI and audio routing.

From: main@fcb1010.groups.io [mailto:main@fcb1010.groups.io] On Behalf Of chrisw_63
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 10:20 AM
To: main@fcb1010.groups.io
Subject: Re: [fcb1010] fcb1010 as bass pedals: sysex transfer fail and vst change handholding

Ergh.  There is no note 128.  Note numbers go from zero to 127.  There's something wrong, and it's most likely your interface.  What are you using for MIDI to USB?

There are dedicated VST hosts, but all the ones I've seen are designed to host one at a time.  If you have Reaper, you really don't need anything else.  Set up your VSTs, and set the FCB1010 to toggle the Enable for the track.  It's not ideal, as disabling a track immediately cuts off sound, but it's easy to do.  A more 'robust' way to do it is to use a MIDI send track, and change which track it sends to using MIDI.  I'm not sure Reaper can do this, but I know I can make it work in Ableton Live.

You could just toggle Mute for each track, but remember that all of the tracks will still be 'running' as far as the computer is concerned.  If you have too much stuff going on, you'll overload it and start getting clicks and cutouts.

Earth.Sky.Surf5@...

I am both a Reaper and Ableton user, though more Ableton these days. I am in a similar situation where I want the FCB1010 board buttons to change which preset sound I have for the one track, much like for the ancient midi where you used program change requests. The solution I found may be of use to you "The Pirate Kings", first up the good news there is a simple solution to your problem, the bad news I could only find a solution in Ableton not in Reaper. The solution is simple enough so you only need Ableton Lite not Ableton Max. Ableton Lite is what I use.

Abelton solution:
For this example my instrument is an audio instrument (electric violin). One of the effects I have in Ableton is the "Bandpass Spiner" which I use a filter and drive. I have various presets for this effect and wanted to use the foot pedal buttons to switch from one preset to another. On the Ableton side drop down the "Audio Effect Rack" and enable the chain list, drop a copy of each instance of the "Bandpass Spiner" each with your own preferred configuration, to the right of each chain is the mix level, set these to unique numbers, say 1 for preset 1, 2 for preset 2 and so forth. The mix level is then attached to one of the "Audio Effect Rack" knobs, which in turn you link to say midi controller ID 50, so as you change CC 50 it selects your different presets. On the FCB1010 side, program so say button 1 sends a CC 50 value 1, button 2 sends a CC 50 value 2 and so forth; also if the expression pedals are to do some thing as well program them appropriately.

Clear as mud? Here is a screen shot of it in Ableton:

Zooming in a on the effect preset, I push foot controller button 1:

now I have a Wah wah, where the corner frequency is controlled by expression pedal A.

I now push foot button 4:

I now have turned off wah wah with a flat EQ curve but have turned the drive up to full bore at 24 dB.

A similar approach could be taken with midi feed VST's.

I could not find a similar feature in Reaper, was hoping I could set multiple effects on the one track and use a channel router to say which effect gets to be active, ie pin connections but could not get this to operate as desired. The channel router would be connected to one of the CC's on the foot controller. Maybe someone else has a fix for this using the pin routing matrix.

Agree, using a different track for each effect is not good. Switching tracks mid way of a recording is a nightmare.