FCB1010 Control Center Help

Geoff Brown

Hi all,

I've downloaded FCB1010 Control Center software but I can't seem to establish a connection with my FCB1010 Unit (no chip). I'm receiving midi data from the board using Midi Monitor software. Can you please help me troubleshoot as I'm having no luck figuring it out?

FYI - I'm using an Apogee Duet 2 for the Midi on a Mac.

Cheers in advance.

Geoff

EJ SHELDON

It's probably because the FCB is NOT class-compliant.
You may have to try something that connects directly from the FCB to a MAC USB port. Does the MAC have more than one USB port? This should work:

This interface IS class-compliant, so you MAY be able to use the Apogee's USB port with this, I don't know.

chrisw_63

Ok. you're using the Apogee to connect a USB MIDI device to your Mac, but what are you using to convert the FCB1010 5-pin DIN MIDI to USB?  You should probably plug the MIDI to USB device directly into your Mac instead of the Apogee, just to test it.  You didn't tell us which MIDI to USB interface you're using, so I have no idea if it is 'class compliant' or not.

There is a chance that your interface does work but doesn't play well with the Apogee.  However it is much more likely not to work well no matter how you connect it.  The problem with cheap Midi to USB devices is that they don't have enough memory to buffer the fast USB MIDI to the slower 5-pin DIN MIDI.  It will work fine with a note or three at a time, but as soon as it's much more than that (like the Control Center's connection and download, which are larger SysEx messages), the interface can't keep up, drops bits and the connection fails.  If it does turn out that the interface is bad, the one recommended by rd2rk is a good one, as well as any of iConnectivity's other MIDI interfaces.

Geoff Brown

Thanks for the reply Chris. I’m not using a midi interface as I thought the Duet acted as one? Below is the cable I’m currently using which works but obviously not for the Control Centre. I’ll purchase one of interfaces/cable that has been recommended & let you know how I get on.

Cheers

--

Regards,

Geoff Brown

JOINERY CONSULTANTS & DRAFTING

Mob: 0277 222592

EJ SHELDON

If the FCB1010 was itself class compliant, that cable would have been perfect. Keep it in case you need to connect a class-compliant device to the apogee. The recommended cable should, in effect, make the FCB class-compliant.

Jack Fenton

The FCB1010 is a MIDI device not a USB device so there is no such thing as "class compliant" here. It is the converter cable that must be "class compliant" and also have a big enough buffer to handle Sysex if you want to program in with Uno Control Center.

The Roland UM-1 and the iConnectivity MIO-1 are both known to work. The others are a crap shoot, especially the noname cheap ones.

chrisw_63

That cable IS a MIDI to USB interface.  MIDI is a 'dumb' two wire w/ ground serial signal running at 31250 baud, or bits per second.  By 'dumb' I mean there are no signals that can change the signalling rate, change it's status, etc.  USB is also a two wire serial data connection, but it is much faster, has a LOT more overhead, and can connect to many different devices at one time, and it also can provide power to those devices.

There are electronics in that cable, probably in the USB connector housing, that handle connecting to the computer's USB hub, telling the computer (or the Duet..) that it is a MIDI device, and translating the serial MIDI data to serial USB data.  It's a pretty simple task, and only requires a very low power microcontroller, which would fit just fine in that USB housing.  That memory problem I mentioned before? Those same tiny microcontrollers don't have room for much memory, and adding another memory chip is both expensive and takes up more space.  So... the cheap one's don't, and they suffer for it.

The Duet has a limited USB hub that, apparently, only allows MIDI data.  According to their manual, you can only connect USB MIDI devices.  It probably tells the computer that it is a MIDI device (and an audio device), but never sends any MIDI unless you plug something in.

So try connecting the cable directly to the Mac - it should at the very least do the same things it was doing while connected to the Duet (though you'll have to select a different MIDI device).  If it suddenly works perfect, the Duet was blocking something (but I doubt it would do that).  If you know the manufacturer of that cable, you can look up the compatibility table in this group, but from what I see in your picture, I'd almost bet money it will end up being the culprit.

chrisw_63

Sorry, but the FCB1010, as it is now, can never be 'class compliant', nor can any 5-pin DIN only MIDI device.  When we say a MIDI device is 'class compliant', we're shortening the full 'spec' which is USB MIDI class compliant, and all that means is that a standard USB driver exists. If there's no USB, then it isn't even in the right... well, class... to be class compliant.

There are other 'classes', too.  USB Audio class, USB Video class, USB Mass Storage class - Still, in this group it's obvious we mean the USB MIDI class.  Here's a Sweetwater.com article that pretty much just says the same thing I did.

EJ SHELDON

I'm not sure whether you're talking to me or Geoff, but if you're talking to Geoff, all that technical gobbledy-gook is probably frying his brain! Wait, it fried my brain too!

So, just so my attempt at simplicity is clear, If he gets the iConnectivity mio, it won't matter that the FCB is not "class-compliant". The interface is, and he SHOULD be able to connect it to either the Apogee midi port OR directly to the MAC.

Jack Fenton

Not sure what Apogee is but the MIO is class compliant and works with my PC just fine. I went down this path a few years ago and when I bought the MIO, all of my problems went away. I've heard the same on the Roland UM-1 but I never tried it.

I've also run my MIO through several different USB 2.0 hubs to other devices and never had any problems.
I have a bag of old cheapo MIDI cables which are OK for performance (sometimes) but they don't work with anything serious like programming the FBC-1010