Topics

FCB1010 OEM Rel 2.5 Firmware known bugs

Earth.Sky.Surf5@...

Edited

Does any one have a list of known bugs of the FCB1010 with the original OEM (Behringer) firmware release 2.5?

I am digging further into the more advanced "features" of this foot controller and finding more bugs and "outright annoying design features".

Some of these I have already mentioned in previous posts, but to keep it complete here is my list:

1) Bad feature: initial expression pedal movements will only register output if it changes by 10 or more units.
2) Bug: When the midi merge function is used, the output data gets mangled. Example, midi keyboard playing notes feeds into foot control midi input, foot controller sends expression pedal output.
3) Bug: SysEx dump of button assignments some times gives values consistent with what the hardware LED shows and some times not. Looks as if extra bytes are inserted randomly. I used Reaper to read the data then mapped it out in a spreadsheet. I looked at the first 5 buttons and it's a mess. Refs. [1] and [2] give an idea of what data is in there, but this is not exact either. Initially I had very little faith that when I send this SysEx data back to the foot controller that it will do it correctly. So I did some checks, save the output SysEx data, send it back to the foot controller, then back out again and compare the SysEx dumps -- no change, also checked button assignments using the foot controller LED no change as required. I then changed on byte of the SysEx where I know what bank, button and function it refers to, sent this back to the foot controller and used the foot controller LED to check the assignment: assignment change seen and was correct. From this I conclude the SysEx format is not regular, i.e. if you determine the SysEx format for one button for one bank, these will not necessarily appear by a constant memory offset for the next button. This renders Ref. [1] and [2] not accurate for version 2.5 OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) firmware. Whether the third party readers of the FCB1010 SysEx dump get it right or not for OEM firmware 2.5 is unknown.

Ref. [1] Source of _home_httpd_data_media-data_2_FCB1010_SysEx_Structure-.pdf
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiDqfqSk5zqAhWaX30KHfPsCycQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fc3.zzounds.com%2Fmedia%2FFCB1010_SysEx_Structure-2c6634e4d8b813c58d175d05a0def4d2.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0Q5NUm4mri_l_asQmLgSW5

Ref. [2] Source of 248-6208-behringer-fcb1010--40933.pdf
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/more-info/248-6208-behringer-fcb1010--40933.pdf

chrisw_63

I wonder if Bug#2 was my problem a while back.. I only had one MIDI DIN on my USB interface to feed my DAW, so had a pad controller feeding the FCB1010, that output feeding a Yamaha S90 so I could control it's volume when using native sounds, then the output of the S90 into my DAW.  Every now and then, the S90 would change sounds, randomly, in the middle of playing.  Changing the MIDI channel of the FCB1010 stopped the program changes.  A few weeks later I got an iConnectivity MIDI4+ (same as the mio4 now) with two extra MIDI DIN sets, and even when I changed the FCB1010 channel back, the problem stayed away.

ossandust

1) is known behavior, 2) is a known bug, 3) the SysEx format as described in the document is accurate.