Topics

FCB1010 running two different set-ups...Can I switch easily?

jharris@...

Thanks for entertaining this question.

I typically use the FCB1010 with my Behringer V-Amp.  Works fine.  I did upgrade to the Eureka chip.

I just purchased the Bias FX Pro software for guitar sims.  I wanted to use the FCB1010 to send signals to the pedal sims.  If I do that, when I switch the midi cables back to my amp, will I have to re-program everything?  In other words, can I bounce back and forth from the amp to the software?

Thanks again!

David Grosz

 you should have no issue as the FCB doesn't care what its plugged into and if you use all 100 presets you could by using the editor software have a Sysex file saved for each device and simply download to the pedal depending on using for Vamp or Bias FX

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019, 4:57:26 AM PST, jharris@... <jharris@...> wrote:

Thanks for entertaining this question.

I typically use the FCB1010 with my Behringer V-Amp.  Works fine.  I did upgrade to the Eureka chip.

I just purchased the Bias FX Pro software for guitar sims.  I wanted to use the FCB1010 to send signals to the pedal sims.  If I do that, when I switch the midi cables back to my amp, will I have to re-program everything?  In other words, can I bounce back and forth from the amp to the software?

Thanks again!

chrisw_63

Wow.. I had this whole long thing written up about how you might be able to make this work.  Then I found the V-Amp documentation.  It uses a set number of CC messages, PC messages, and can use SYSEX for programming patches (***See Below).  It does not use Notes.   Bias FX doesn't use specific MIDI messages - it can use whatever you tell it, and it has MIDI Learn, which is nice.  The reason I'm going into all this is unless you want to manually swap (cables, power switches, whatever) between the two, you really need different MIDI commands for each.

Easy part first. So the CC messages V-Amp doesn't use (and aren't predefined in the MIDI spec) are 28-31 and 102-119 (numbers are in decimal).  It might also be able to use Note messages as commands - I couldn't find anything about it in the manual.  That gives you 21 CC's you can use to control Bias FX.  If that's enough, Great!  (If not, see if Note messages will work.)  Just pick the banks and foot switches you want to use (and aren't being used by the V-Amp settings, of course) and program the FCB1010 with those.  Go to the Bias FX screen, right click on a control you want, find MIDI Learn in the menu, hit the foot switch you want to use. Done. Next.

Now the fun part.  I'm guessing you want to use the two continuous pedals.  You might think you can program them the same for both.  After all, CC #7 is predefined in the MIDI Standard as Channel Volume, and the V-amp uses it that way.  Changing volume won't hurt anything, right?  Well if V-Amp is still in the signal path, you would end up with two different things controlling the volume at the same time.  Not a good thing.  Same for CC #1 predifined as Mod Wheel - which V-Amp uses as a Wah pedal.  I would use different CC# for both to control Bias FX.  If I were you, I'd stick with 102-119 for the foot switches, and for the pedals pick from the 28-31 range.

It's much easier to set the pedals in ALL the presets.  Technically you only need them set in one preset each, but then you have to program all the other presets to not change the Pedal settings AND you need to hit that one preset every time you want to set them up.  Much easier to program them all with Bias FX or V-Amp settings, whichever that preset is for.  That way, whichever preset you choose, the pedals will be set up for that effect at the same time.  (I really hope that was understandable.. let me know if I was too general or vague or whatever..)

*** If you have V-Amp and Bias FX running (and connected) when you program the FCB1010, they will all see the SYSEX message.  Now, SYSEX messages are supposed to be vendor-specific.  There's supposed to be a code in them that makes sure they ignore all other vendor's SYSEX messages.  If you're going to be programming the FCB1010 while V-Amp and Bias FX are listening, I'd make sure to try it out first (after saving your setups, of course) before having to do it live.  As long as they both ignore the FCB1010 program, you should be good to go.  Also load and save several Bias FX presets while the FCB is listening - again, just to be sure.  The Bias FX documentation doesn't say anything about SYSEX messages, but it doesn't hurt to test it.