From: main@fcb1010.groups.io <main@fcb1010.groups.io> on behalf of EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...>
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2019 6:15:36 PM
To: main@fcb1010.groups.io <main@fcb1010.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [fcb1010] Upgrade Questions

David is wrong. Attached is the UNO manual. Read for yourself.

"In your new image, I'd want Bank 0 and Bank 1 to operate as stomboxes, where, for example in Bank 1, if I press FS 2 to Play, the LED comes on, and then when I press FS 2 again, the LED goes off and it Plays/Stops accordingly. I think we know the stock FCB will do this, just the LEDs won't work right (just stay lit all the time once the FS is pressed).

Same with Bank 1 - your value numbers don't all have 127 but what I'd want in a bank like that is for FS 1 to turn on FX 1A on the first press (LED on) and then the second press (LED off) to turn the effect off."

Sorry about the screenshot, I sent the wrong one. Attached the right one here.

The screenshot/sysex I sent is done on the STOCK FCB chip, because that's the chip you have. The LEDs will NOT reflect the status, per my reply to David. There's only one bank (bank 00) of Stompbox ON/OFF controls, as the CCs used are the same regardless of scene. Also keep in mind that, as mentioned in that reply, there is no 2-way communication with the M13. If an effect is ON in a scene, when you press the button assigned to that stomp, nothing will happen until you press it a second time, as the first press will send ON, and it's already ON. The LEDs DO NOT reflect the actual ON/OFF status of the M13, nor will they change to reflect the message sent. That is a limitation of the stock FCB chip, and with UNO only happens when you use STOMPBOX mode, which restricts you to 5 CCs, the same ones in every bank. Also, you only have 10 buttons to play with in each bank, and the M13 has 12 stompboxes, so the third effect in each of the four effects units is NOT employed. You can get around this by using two banks for Stomps, perhaps using only six buttons per bank? Up to you. As mentioned in my post, I created that sysex for my own edification, to see if I had the concepts correct, and as an example to you of how it MIGHT be done.

Bank 01 is for Looper control.

Banks 02 and 03 are for scene selection, and I only did two banks because, as mentioned, the sysex is only for proof of concept and example. You'd want to fill out the rest of the banks to get in all of the scenes.

"The way you have it set up now is kind of like how the M13 operates - So I could use it this way.

But the ability to have 5 presets and 5 stomps in Bank 3, then 5 different presets and the same 5 stomp commands (different FX could be on the M13) in Bank 4, then 2 Preset and 8 stomps, or 8 presets and 2 stomps, or whatever combinations I want in the other Banks would amazing!"

Again, as mentioned in my reply to David, with the Stock chip you can put whatever commands you want in any of the banks, but the LEDs will NEVER reflect the command status. Press the button, the LED turns on. Press another and the first one turns OFF, the second one turns ON.

Load up my sysex (attached again, right one I hope) and try it out. If it all works the way I THINK it will, then you can mix and match the commands any way you like in your own configuration. That sysex is only intended as proof of concept and example.

EJ SHELDON

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 09:23 AM, Chris Burns wrote:
I was reading through your posts and I read that you mentioned using your FCB1010 Uno with your Helix.
I have just purchased a Helix. After reading this ongoing article I have become quite excited about using my FCB1010 Uno in conjunction with my Helix Floor. I plan to use the FCB to extend my control. I plan on switching Scenes & Stomps. I am especially interested in using the FCB expression pedals as Expression Pedals 2 & 3.

On Helix, when you assign a parameter to Exp2/3 you're assigning it to the input from the Exp2/3 jacks. To use the FCB exp pedals, assign the parameter to the MIDI CC assigned to the FCB's expression pedal you want to use.  In the attached screenshot I'm assigning my FCB Expression Pedal A to the DRIVE parameter of the Placater dirty amp. I've Right-clicked on the DRIVE parameter, then MIDI, then I've selected the CC that my FCB Exp A is assigned to. That's it!

NOTE: the downside of doing this is that you can't save the FCB exp pedal position in Helix. This makes seamless changes in level impossible, so you'll have to accommodate with your playing technique.

In the second screenshot I'm assigning an FCB stomp pedal to the bypass function of a block. Right-click the block, then MIDI Bypass, then select the CC assigned to that FCB stomp. If you're using the stock FCB chip you'll be using CNT1 and CNT2 set the same CC# and the values set to 0/127. Don't forget to disable the default PC# assigned to that stomp (unless you have PC RECEIVE set to OFF in Helix GLOBAL SETTINGS/MIDI) or it'll switch Helix presets on you!

When you're done. don't forget to SAVE the Helix preset. I know, sounds like "OF COURSE!", but you'd be surprised how many people forget to do this and wonder where their assignments have gone!

You can assign Snapshots by setting the FCB stomp to CC#69 with a value of 0-7 for Snapshots 1-8.
You can assign the tuner this way also, using CC#68.

Tap tempo is tricky to set up on the stock FCB. See the FCB manual if you want to try that. With the UNO chip it's easy, but you need to be in STOMPBOX MODE. Then you just make a STOMPBOX pedal MOMENTARY with a single click on the FCB_CONTROLCENTER interface and assign it to CC#64.

One of the most useful applications of the FCB with Helix is assigning the LOOPER functions to the FCB. Gives you constant access to the LOOPER without having to switch modes on the Helix. VERY useful!

Hope this helps!

Chris Burns

Hey EJ,
Many thanks for your information and detailed reply 😁
Yes I am running the UNO firmware 😁 I could stand the factory shipped version it drove me crazy!!
It lasted for a total of 24hrs before I removed it! It will never be reinstalled! 🤗
I am struggling to see why the member whose thread I hijacked continues to batter away on the Factory version..
He certainly has far more patience n dogged determination than myself!.
I just thought & felt it turned a relatively pain free experience as far as midi is concerned into  drudgery...
Plus I had read about all the cool things UNO firmware users were doing 😁
I did have a Eureka prom for a little while but as stated earlier in the thread it's very specific & Not a patch on the UNO if flexibility is your mantra
Sold the Eureka prom when I sold the Hardware  I got it for.
I run a variety of outbound hardware interconnected with the FCB1010. I use a Yamaha Motif Rack ES & A Roland GR-55  plus DAW sequencing control.
Thanks again for your help
Chris

Ps.  I dont know if you know anything about this. I was thinking about running the Roland GR-55 as part of the Helix FX Loops.
I am also definitely think that the 4CM is the way to go?
What do you think 😁

Chris Burns BSC (Hons), PGCE, MCT, MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS, MCITP, MBCS
Director & Database Consultant
Data Technology Consultants Ltd
Telephone 0844 567 0412

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the person to whom it is addressed, and must not be used or copied by any other person. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender, and delete the message from your system immediately.
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the Data Technology Consultants Limited, unless otherwise stated.
This message is not guaranteed to be free from virus infections or data corruption, although care is
taken in its preparation. It is not intended to serve as part of a legally binding contract.
Reference made to any materials, goods or services carry the protection of copyright.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 12:08 AM, Chris Burns wrote:
Ps.  I dont know if you know anything about this. I was thinking about running the Roland GR-55 as part of the Helix FX Loops.
I am also definitely think that the 4CM is the way to go?
What do you think 😁

If you want to use it as part of a Helix signal chain then 4cm is the way to go. And of course you can control it with MIDI via Command Center.

OP's specific needs were actually well served with the stock chip. Like you, I discarded the stock chip within hours of getting it, but, as I pointed out to OP, the UNO_ControlCenter Editor is really the key to painless use of either chip.

Chris Burns

Definitely! I couldn't agree more!!
Thanks again! Your help has been really valuable 😁

[...]

Roger Colwell

Just dropping in to say that I figured out how to split your conversation about Helix, from the "Upgrade Questions" topic, in order to create this new one (something that wasn't possible at Yahoo, I think).
--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

EJ SHELDON

Very cool! We used to have to request that the "hijacker" start a new thread. Is there a way we can do this ourselves, or alert you to do it?

Roger Colwell

I've just logged in as a regular member in order to confirm that it's not possible to split and merge topics; it's confined to owners and moderators only.
--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

EJ SHELDON

Oh well. We'll just have to rely on you to be ever vigilant! Thanks!

chrisw_63

For anyone like me who has no idea what 4CM means:
https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/4-cable-method-4cm

Mike Whitaker

We are contactable, if you want a topic split.
--
Original list founder (March 2002!) and occasional moderator.
Yes, I do still have my FCB1010!

EJ SHELDON

If you can split off the Helix part with a thread title like "FCB1010 and Helix" that might give someone new a place to start.

Amazing that all my time here we never met! Good to know that Roger has backup!