Topics

FCB1010 with Line 6 M13 Tap Tempo

llatham@...

Hello. I'm trying to get the Tap Tempo on the 1010 to control the same on the M13. Following the instructions in the Behringer Manual I've got it set up, but I'm not sure what values to enter for the "upper limit".

When I press the 1010 Footswitch twice, it definitely sends a message to the M13 because I can see its tap tempo light change when I press the FS. however, it just stays the same rate after that point.

In the manual it mentions the upper limit.

The M13 Manual has a table in the advanced users guide:

https://line6.com/data/l/0a0600729b4f4af8b8d2e9557/application/pdf/M13%20Advanced%20Users%20Guide%20%28Rev%20A%29%20-%20English.pdf

(page 30, or their A*2 appendix)

The tempo range is from 80 to 132 BPM, and each note value is represented in ms - 1/4 note at 80 BPM is the highest on the chart at 750 ms.

On the previous page the Tap Tempo is CC64, but it has no values - it's just "two taps".

So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to enter on Footswitch 10 as the upper limit, and what value I should enter on Footswitch 6 (I've tried 0, 127, and 64).

Ideas?

violet_quartet

Hi, I don’t know the M13, but as described in the manual, it should change delay tempo, when you send cc#64.

But only, if you program the M13 to not use fixed delays [ms], but to listen to tap tempo commands – see pt. 3.1 in the manual:

“tap based FX

[…] To set your delay time to tap tempo, turn Knob 1 to the far right and you’ll see a quarter note symbol in the LCD. Change it to any note you like. Now tap the desired tempo and your time-based effect will sync to it. Your note value is persistent, so when you scroll through other effects it will be retained. To set your delay time to ms, turn Knob 2 to the right again, and you’ll return to Time-based mode.”

If that was done and it’s still not working:

If you program fcb switch 10 to send cc#64, I guess it’s best to send it with value 127.

So you tap at least twice with a rate of 80 to 132 bpm … not shure, wether the M13 reacts to slower or faster foot taps (sent from the fcb1010).

Hope this helps a bit

[...]

chrisw_63

YES.. Do what Violet said, but first: Turn off the FCB1010's Tap Tempo thing - it sucks.  Seriously.  Just set one of the pedals to send the CC# 64 (the value you send with it isn't supposed to matter, but 127 is safe).  Don't forget to consider ergonomics when choosing the pedal.  Pick one that's closest to the foot you'll be using to press it - you'll get much more accurate tempo and it'll be easier to do than if you pick one further away.

Why do I say the default Tap Tempo sucks?  Two reasons:  1 - Very few MIDI devices implement the MIDI Tempo message.  2 - The value the FCB1010 sends is... whacky.  I'm not sure why, maybe the slow 1990's microcontroller running it, but the accuracy of the number sent (milliseconds per beat) is so bad it's all but unusable.  Also, it's only supposed to send the Tempo message when you hit the same pedal more than once, fairly close together.  FAIL.  Very often I've seen it (MIDI OX) send the Tempo message the very first time you hit a pedal, even if it's been 30 seconds or more since you pressed an entirely different pedal.  The value it sends for that first press is going to be entirely wrong, obviously.  So, yeah, just don't.

llatham@...

Thanks Chris and Violet - I didn't think of this and tried it tonight and it worked fine - all I had to do was deslect the default PGM change message and it will stay on the same preset, and then I can use the 10 Ftsw (or whichever I choose) to be Tap Tempo for the M13 - the CC64 and 127 worked fine!