Topics

FCB on life support ... :-(

pwsharpau

I have unsuccessfully tried to resurrect my FCB from its cryo state ...

In short, after a lengthy hiatus due to extended time overseas & other stuff, I recently renewed my efforts to kick some life into my midi-bass rig. Part of that was reconnecting with my long lost midi friendship. Another thread related my EPP (Midi Solutions Event Processor Plus) setup was very helpful in getting me to figure out just what I have to do, logically.

However, I hadn't actually turned on the FCB until last night. Without doing anything after/during powerup, most pedals are unresponsive (no lights). Starting up to go into Global config then UP gives me a 9 on display & nothing else responds. Then I tried power-on reset which ends with a 6 on the display & no further response. I'm thinking there are 2 possibilities:

1. Chip is cactus - time for a replacement & upgrade to the real word of UNO, perhaps!

2. Is there an on-board battery? I tried searching the forum but 'battery' gives no hits. Is there even such a thing that may need replacement?

Peter

chrisw_63

No battery.  Firmware swap might do it, but no way to be sure that's the issue beforehand.  Maybe someone else here knows more than me.. Is the '6' just a bug, or an error code?

Jack Fenton

If it were mine, I'd open it up. Look for any visible signs of loose wires, etc. Remove and replace the firmware and try again.  After that, I'd look to see if I am getting good input voltage with a volt meter. If no luck after that, I'd look on eBay for a used model. I bought the one I have used for $85. You can generally get them between 80-110 used. A used one costs about $150 USD.

David Grosz

the first thing I would do is hook up one of the programming softwares for the FCB-1010.  I went with Uno's editor along with the chip and it could not be easier.  Sounds like to me the buttons do nothing because they are not are not programmed to, but use editing software so you can see and program with just a couple clicks.  You simply need a usb-midi cable and the free editor software and you can see if anything is programmed without having to push a bunch of buttons

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 7:32:37 PM PST, pwsharp@... [fcb1010] wrote:

[...]

EJ SHELDON

If doing a factory reset – booting while holding 1+6 – stalls on “6”, then his problem is bigger than the pedals not being programmed.

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 7:32:37 PM PST, pwsharp@... [fcb1010] <fcb1010@...> wrote:

[...]

spammy_spamton@...

Hiya. I upgraded to the UNO - I can definitely recommend it. I’m using the FCB as a controller for MIDI equipped pedals on my bass rig now - it’s switching patches and supplying continuous controller messages to a Future Impact and a Source Audio envelope filter pedal.

UNO makes it so much easier to program the pedal - the sequences are much simpler, and all available from the FCB itself. It really does do what it says on the tin.

While I was in there upgrading, I didn’t spot a battery; I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t need one, it uses flash throughout, I think.

Good luck!