Topics

General Question

David Kramer

Edited

Greetings,
 Forgive me if I'm posting in an improper way. I just have a general
question and musical example.
I purchased an FCB1010 Controller several years ago for my son, put in
an UNO chip and it went back in the box.
My question is (If the video comes through) can the FCB 1010 do what the
lead guitar player in the video is doing with his pedal?
 Hope the video comes through.
 David

[Hyperlink redacted by Admin]

Roger Colwell

Well David, having seen the video and checked out the band, it seems this is nothing more than a shameless piece of self-promotion as you are the bassist in the band! This is why I've removed the hyperlink to the YouTube video ...
--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

David Kramer

The Band no longer exists. The singer and lead guitar player have left the band and I, as a non musician am trying to help the new lead guitar player accomplish the same sound.
 You are the shameless unknowing one. I'm not the Bassist, I'm his DAD....

On 9/30/2020 8:13 PM, Roger Colwell wrote:
Well David, having seen the video and checked out the band, it seems this is nothing more than a shameless piece of self-promotion as you are the bassist in the band! This is why I've removed the hyperlink to the YouTube video ...
--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

Roger Colwell

I apologise for jumping to such a conclusion but in fairness you might have explained the whole situation in the first place!

To answer your original question, on its own the FCB1010 is only a MIDI controller and would require being interfaced with an amplifier (or similar sound generator) to switch between different sounds.
--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

matt kaine

The answer to your question is yes, but IF I understand what you actually mean, then the answer is no.

The FCB1010 is a midi remote controller. It tells another device to do something. Very much like a tv remote tells a tv to change channels or adjust volume. The remote does not create the video or the sound, just tells the tv to make a change. The FCB1010 must be connected to another device that actually does something.

In the video looks like he is just turning on/off a distortion effect, which is likely built into that pedal. If the FCB1010 is connected to an midi amp, amp simulator, or effects simulator the FCB1010 could trigger a similar effect. But understand the FCB1010 is just telling the other device to make a change.

If all you have is the FCB1010 then it will not do anything, just like a remote without a tv won't do anything.

Do you have other equipment that would connect to the FCB1010? If so we may be able to help you get it to do what you.want.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

 Forgive me if I'm posting in an improper way. I just have a general
question and musical example.
I purchased an FCB1010 Controller several years ago for my son, put in
an UNO chip and it went back in the box.
My question is (If the video comes through) can the FCB 1010 do what the
lead guitar player in the video is doing with his pedal?
 Hope the video comes through.
 David

chrisw_63

Yep.. MIDI is just the conductor or 'remote control'.  You need something else to make or alter the sound.  And by the time you buy that, you may as well buy a decent distortion pedal.

David Kramer

I posted the video because I know nothing about pedals and music production.
I know the pedal in the video is a Boss ### beyond that I just don't know.
 I am just trying to give the new lead guitar player a hand up so he is able to duplicate what the old lead was doing.
I Love Music, My last name is Kramer, I remember as a Kid walking past the music store and the sign would read "The New Kramer's Are In". But my dad, who played Guitar would never spring for lessons. So I live vicariously through my son, The Bass Player.
 If I just hand the 1010 to the new Guitar player I don't know that he'll put in the work to make this work.
 Man, Its like sitting in the stands at a Vikings Game and they don't hear you calling the plays! lol....

On 9/30/2020 9:30 PM, matt kaine wrote:
[...]

Since you said it was a Boss product, judging from the video it's a Boss GT-1, or one of it's predecessors.  It's not easy to see the details, but that looks closest.  Decent digital pedal with lots of options.  Boss is the (in my opinion) "lower-cost products" subsidiary of Roland - a fairly high end music product company.  Boss products might not be priced like their Roland cousins, but they're still decent.  Since you've never used the FCB-1010, you could probably sell it for half the cost of the GT-1, if you wanted, but any decent pedal, or even built in Amp effects, can mimic the sound in the video.

David Kramer

Interesting thing at this point in my life is I am not interested in what I can sell something for as I live debt free...

On 9/30/2020 11:51 PM, chrisw_63 wrote:
Since you said it was a Boss product, judging from the video it's a Boss GT-1, or one of it's predecessors.  It's not easy to see the details, but that looks closest.  Decent digital pedal with lots of options.  Boss is the (in my opinion) "lower-cost products" subsidiary of Roland - a fairly high end music product company.  Boss products might not be priced like their Roland cousins, but they're still decent.  Since you've never used the FCB-1010, you could probably sell it for half the cost of the GT-1, if you wanted, but any decent pedal, or even built in Amp effects, can mimic the sound in the video.

Roger Colwell

Chris, I've had a short private conversation with David in which I suggested that I thought it looked like a Boss ME-20, but on further reflection it seems more likely to be a Boss ME-25 as it's black (and the ME-20 wasn't). I checked eBay.com and secondhand ME-25s go for around $100 or less in the US and whilst I agree with you that David should advertise and sell the FCB1010 + UnO + original chip, he has indicated that he'd rather give it away to a worthy person, completely FOC. The problem with that idea is deciding who might be worthy of receipt and I, being in the UK, am furthest away from any suitable ideas for a solution, other than to agree that it would be best to sell it.

As for the new guitarist in his bassist son's band, though I asked whether he owns an amp and/or pedals, David only responded so far by saying he owns a Gibson guitar. My immediate thought about that is that it's highly unlikely that a Gibson owner would have no backline of any description, but I'm guessing that it's currently not prudent for David Snr to ask -- hopefully he will now tell us.

And to David himself, I apologise for talking about you in the third person. If you have no other way of finding out the extent of the new guitarist's backline gear other than asking him or your son, my advice to you would be to quietly observe what happens around any rehearsals they might have, or talk about. Ongoing, if it helps, you are welcome to contact me directly whenever you choose, or ask further questions here.
--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

chrisw_63

Giving it away would be awesome!  Hopefully he can find someone close to him, since I know first hand that shipping the FCB1010 is Not cheap.

OSS Architect

As other's have pointed out what the fcb1010 won't do, I'll just chime in on "what to do" to get what you want:

- buy pedals like Source Audio that have built-in MIDI support
- buy pedals like Chase Bliss that take a separate 1/4 TRS cable that plugs into a MIDI interface box (not the fcb1010)
- buy a hybrid MIDI contoller-switching system (you would only do this for performance reasons, not to save money).

look at the second diagram on this page: https://www.soundsculpture.com/switching-system-tutorial to understand what option 3 is.

I keep all my pedals in drawers in a rack cabinet behind the amps. This way I have only the fcb1010 under my feet. The MIDI out
from the fcb1010 goes to the effects cabinet which is populated with 6-8 way midi switchers with mostly regular (non-midi) pedals
plugged into them. This was built years ago, ut know you can buy something like a "cheap" BOSS ES-8.... or a Gig Rig system if
you have the money.

I also use the "DAW approach" using an IPad I already have, and cheap effects plug-ins from the Apple Store. Then stereo out to amps
or FoH. There is a time delay in this approach which is a problem playing live (or learning), but not when multi-track recording in
your bedroom.