Topics

MainStage Hanging Noters w/ FCB1010?

cowen.jared42@...

Has anyone had a problem in MainStage 3 w/ FCB1010 & hanging notes? I’ll play a synth pad/patch for 30-60 seconds and within that time I’ll get a note that will just sustain indefinitely. This could be a large annoyance for performing live.

I use MainStage w/ Jamorigin's MidiGuitar 2.

1 in every maybe 50-60 notes will sustain indefinitely. It happens with all of the virtual instruments, but seems to happen quicker and more frequently when I use a synth pad or when playing chords. I tried to create a new session, and at first it was working. I was using the same pad that was giving me trouble, but this time I had 0 issues. I began to build my setup back and program more patches back into the session, but then it started to happen again. The other thing I tried was adjusting the buffer size, which seemed to improve it at first, but eventually gave out. Could it be a storage issue with my mac? Maybe a technical issue of either my Roland UM-ONE or Behringer FCB1010 not properly sending the NoteOff signal?

After a little trial and error, when I took out the Roland UM-ONE/Behringer FCB1010 and just went the MG2 straight with MS3 there were no hanging notes and I played for awhile. When I plugged in the footcontroller again, they came back. One thing which is weird is that I programmed two different synth patches, one is just a synth pad, the other is that synth pad but with a synth lead on top of it, for some reason when a hanging note gets stuck if I just switch to the other patch about 95% of the time it will let go of the note. Not sure why that is the case. When using the foot controller with just straight guitar effects like Phaser/Flanger built into MS3, it operates fine. The foot controller operates fine when using the standalone version of MG2. This problem is just very specific to using virtual instruments on MainStage3, MG2, and the Behringer FCB1010 all at the same time.

Ron van Veen

I’m using the FCB1010 with mainstage On a Novation keyboard and a Casio PX5-s. My main goal for the FCB is changing user programs (patches) on both MainStage and the Casio. The 2 pedals are in use for expression, or other effects. I’ve never have the problems you discribed.
Sometimes, after weeks of operation, I have to reboot my system, but most of the time I put my macbook to sleep and when I open it, I can go without troubles.

I think that your UM-One is disturbing your signal flow. If there is only 1 missing note-off-message, that note will sustain as long as possible.
Do you use cheap (or old) cables? Is the FWB connected directly to your computer, or connected to the UM-One?

In my setup I use a midi-thru between the FCB and the two keyboards. The Novation keyboard send the message to Mainstage. The PX5-s uses it’s own sounds while the Novation is using the sounds of Mainstage-Patches.

FCB1010  —> Midi-thru —> PX5-s
\—> Novation SL —> Mainstage

Hope this can help.
Ron

Op 12 aug. 2020-33, om 02:24 heeft cowen.jared42@... het volgende geschreven:

[...]

chrisw_63

I used to have a similar problem.  Kept messing with the Yamaha S90's settings, holding notes, etc.  Turned out to be the Tap Tempo function of the FCB1010 sending MIDI 'tempo' messages that somehow interfered.  To fix it, I set all my devices to different MIDI channels than the FCB's NOTE channel - that's the one that the Tap Tempo messages go out on.  Then I got the UnO firmware and turned Tap Tempo off for good.  I know, it would have been easier to set the NOTE channel to something else, but I was pretty new to MIDI at the time, and didn't have an editor, so it was much easier to change my DAW and keyboard rather than manually change the FCB1010.

If you want to rule out the UM-One being the problem, you could connect the FCB1010 to the 5-pin DIN on the Novation SL (I believe all the SL models have them, correct me if I'm wrong, please!).

Ron van Veen

I have the FCB connected to the MIDI-in of the novation SL. The novation is connected with USB to my MacBook.
But in between I have the MIDI-thru and also send messages to my Casio.

I have the default 2.5 chip, not the UNO! In my setup no troubles at all!
I use channel 1 for messages to my Casio PX5S and channel 2 for Novation/MainStage.

Ron

Op 12 aug. 2020 om 20:16 heeft chrisw_63 <chrisw_63@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

The FCB is connected to computer with the UM-One. I’ve tried reinstalling MS3, restarting the computer, and all sorts of things but can’t get the notes to stop hanging. The one thing that works is about 95% of the time if I switch from 1 synth patch in ms3 to another it will let go of the hanging note.

chrisw_63

You're running MainStage, so it's a Mac.  Which processor is in it, and what speed?  Does it ever happen right after starting up, or does it usually happen later?

If you haven't done so yet, here's a video on how to make a "MIDI panic button" for MainStage.  What it does is send out an "All Notes Off" message, which should sjut down any sounds, including hanging notes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_kyogu1Vdo  Please note that if you hit the panic button and it takes more than a second for the hung notes to stop, it's probably an overloaded CPU that's causing your issues.  Make sure you don't have anything running in the background.

As for my questions above, if your Mac is older, it could be a slower processor, it could be overheating (which would force it to slow down), or a little of both.  An older computer (or even a newer one depending where it was kept) could have dust preventing cooling, or the heat-sink compound might have dried out.  (Please don't ask an Apple Store to fix either of these.  IF they agreed to do the work, and if you got your computer back in working condition, it could end up costing a lot unless you had AppleCare).  If you have a utility to watch the clock speed and CPU temp, I'd check that out... right after you check out another video that tells you how to set up MainStage to run as efficiently as possible.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSWCcGJKnlo  If it is getting hot and 'throttling', you could try a laptop cooler (stand with fans - I'm assuming its a laptop).  I have a gaming laptop, and the fans work wonders at keeping the frame rate up.  While an older Macbook can run Mainstage just fine with most plugins, trying to run more than a few, or even a couple high-power ones like Omnisphere, could load down a gen 3 (Intel) or even a slower gen 5 processor.

Hope something here helps you.