Topics

New firmware release : "UnO2" v.1.0 #announcement

ossandust

Edited

I just released brand new firmware.
"UnO2" is not a successor for the current "UnO" firmware. It's a shrinked down version of the TinyBox firmware (https://www.tinybox.rocks), which takes a completely different approach :
- any mix of presets, stompboxes, momentary effects possible in each bank
- any number of MIDI messages possible in each preset, on any MIDI channel.
More info on https://www.fcb1010.eu/uno2.html , where you will also find a link to the manual.
In the end this became a huge project, of a completely different scale than the UnO firmware (by the time I wrote down all features in detail, the manual was 50 pages long... )
The firmware comes with an editor included. The editor can be tried out online : https://www.fcb1010.eu/uno2_editor.html
and a few examples of the possibilities and programming syntax can be seen here : https://www.fcb1010.eu/uno2_demo.html

matt kaine

Super Exciting, going to verify with the editor today and order one as soon as I am sure it works.

Thanks so much for all your hard work!

Jack Fenton

Hi, I didn't see a link for actually ordering the firmware.

Jack Fenton

jack_fenton@...

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 01:49 PM, Jack Fenton wrote:
Hi, I didn't see a link for actually ordering the firmware.
It's on the main page, https://www.fcb1010.eu, but you might need to refresh the page in case the older version of the page is still in your browser cache

Jack Fenton

Interesting, my interface did not pass the test however I have always used it with the current firmware with no trouble.
I have a MIO1. It detects the firmware but times out.  I think in the FCB Uno Control Center, I had set it up to use multiple smaller SysEx messages.
Does the web interface also support this option?

Jack Fenton

I even tried a different MIDI Interface with the same issue. This time I tried my iConnectivity Audio4+ MIDI interface.
Again it detects 1.0.4 but then times out.

Works fine with Uno Control Center although I had to set it back up for large dump size.

Jack Fenton

jack_fenton@...

On Friday, May 22, 2020, 07:36:53 AM PDT, Jack Fenton via groups.io <jack_fenton@...> wrote:

Interesting, my interface did not pass the test however I have always used it with the current firmware with no trouble.
I have a MIO1. It detects the firmware but times out.  I think in the FCB Uno Control Center, I had set it up to use multiple smaller SysEx messages.
Does the web interface also support this option?

Atom Smasher

Is UnO2 usable in a Linux environment, without Win/Mac?

--
...atom

________________________
http://atom.smasher.org/
762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security,
unemployment insurance and eliminate labor laws and farm
programs, you would not hear of that party again in our
political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course,
that believes that you can do these things. Among them are a
few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or
businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and
they are stupid."
-- President Dwight Eisenhower, Republican,
http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/ike.asp

ossandust

it would be a good idea to use the MIDI monitor desktop application instead of the web page. Browser support for the Web MIDI API is not very stable I believe. The desktop application uses the same MIDI library as FCB/UnO ControlCenter and UnO2ControlCenter
I added a link to the desktop app on the webpage only today - it's here : https://github.com/ossandust/midi-monitor

ossandust

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 02:55 PM, Atom Smasher wrote:
Is UnO2 usable in a Linux environment, without Win/Mac?
Not for the moment.On paper it should be easy to release a Linux version, but my experience with maintaining Linux applications is not good - the constant OS modifications require continuous updates to keep things running.
In the future I will be looking into a Raspbian release for TinyBox ControlCenter, because that would give a real advantage for live use: TinyBox ControlCenter can be used as web server for sending FCB1010 status info and sheet music to an iPad, I would personally prefer to take a RaspBerry (or two) on stage rather than an expensive laptop. So once this can prove to be stable enough I will consider a Linux release for UnO2 ControlCenter too.

Jack Fenton

OK, it would be nice to be able to click through the test procedure to actually find the purchase link. I'm sure my interface is good. With that said, it would be nice to know if my configuration could be used with out buying the extension box.

ossandust

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 09:09 PM, Jack Fenton wrote:
I'm sure my interface is good
Yes, that's exactly why I have put such a "hard restriction" by disabling the purchase button - if the monitor desktop application results in a timeout so will UnO2ControlCenter, which would leave you with the need to buy another interface even though the current one is good for everything else.
But as mentioned the web MIDI test is not a good reference : for instance the MidiSport interface which I have been using succesfully for many years somehow crashes whenever I leave a MIDI enabled web page - it starts working again after unplugging and reconnecting the USB cable.

violet_quartet

Hi Xavier, hi all,

So the TinyBox Editor is mainly like UnO 2 Editor, yes?

Can I also use Tiny Box to monitor my AxeFX status on my PC or tablet (instead of fcb1010 status)?

And can I display the status of another midi controller (which is not fcb1010)?

I’m a bit overwhelmed with all the features...

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 12:28 PM, violet_quartet wrote:

So the TinyBox Editor is mainly like UnO 2 Editor, yes?

Can I also use Tiny Box to monitor my AxeFX status on my PC or tablet (instead of fcb1010 status)?

And can I display the status of another midi controller (which is not fcb1010)?

TinyBox ControlCenter contains a setup editor which looks identical to UnO2ControlCenter, except that the used "programming language" supports more commands than UnO2. But next to this setup editor TinyBoxControlCenter also contains additional applications : a setlist manager to upload lyrics or music scores, an FCB1010 status window, a MIDI monitor, and a webserver for hosting the remote status page.
The TinyBox design has had many iterations over the past years. At one stage the idea was indeed to provide a status display for any MIDI controller, but that was a huge job: it would require a user friendly way to design a custom controller layout and to map all aspects of the controller status to that layout. In the end I changed the design to make it a dedicated FCB1010 add-on, with a dedicated FCB1010 status screen. Apart from that at one point I have released a dedicated "TinyBox4Kemper" a few years ago, which indeed showed the Kemper Profiler status on a tablet, but I no longer plan to work on such brand specific solutions - would be too expensive to buy those units just for R&D purposes (Mr. Kemper was kind enough to lend me a unit for free)

Jack Fenton

Well I understand why the MOTU crashes because it is an old interface and not class compliant.  I can talk to my FCB using the MIDI Monitor, however I have not tried sending or receiving any long SysEx messages. Again, if I can't see how much memory my current configuration will use, I will not not if I have to use a TinyBox.  If I have to use a TinyBox, i Will just stick with the current UNO firmware along with my BomeBox instead.

ossandust

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 03:33 PM, Jack Fenton wrote:
if I can't see how much memory my current configuration will use, I will not not if I have to use a TinyBox.
Hi Jack,
- you don't need any MIDI-USB connection to check how much memory your configuration will use. Just use the online editor at https://www.fcb1010.eu/uno2_editor.html  You can create a setup with that editor and in the lower status bar it will say how much percentage of the FCB1010 storage it uses. If it's above 100% it won't fit.
- I have the same experience of MIDI in the browser being unreliable (already much better than a few years ago but still...), so it's better to test with the monitor at https://github.com/ossandust/midi-monitor  - the test is in the menu Help > Purchase UnO2 license

Jack Fenton

Got it. Thanks!

Jack Fenton

OK, it doesn't work there either with any of my MIDI interfaces where they all work with Uno Control Center. In the offline version I don't even get the version of my pedal returned where I do with the web version.

dbtrade

Did I read somewhere that only certain web browsers are compatible?

My frustration is I would like to use my lockdown time to work on this, but my fcb1010 is somewhere that is not currently accessible to me.
Can the webBrowser scripts be saved? In case I can't get it all in in one session?

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 10:21 AM Jack Fenton via groups.io <jack_fenton=ymail.com@groups.io> wrote:
OK, it doesn't work there either with any of my MIDI interfaces where they all work with Uno Control Center. In the offline version I don't even get the version of my pedal returned where I do with the web version.

matt kaine

I don't think Firefox works chrome does.

For me on my PC I did a Ctrl+A to select all text in the webpage window. Then I saved it it a word document by pressing Ctrl+C to copy, and then Ctrl+V to paste into note document.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

Did I read somewhere that only certain web browsers are compatible?

My frustration is I would like to use my lockdown time to work on this, but my fcb1010 is somewhere that is not currently accessible to me.
Can the webBrowser scripts be saved? In case I can't get it all in in one session?

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 10:21 AM Jack Fenton via groups.io <jack_fenton=ymail.com@groups.io> wrote:
OK, it doesn't work there either with any of my MIDI interfaces where they all work with Uno Control Center. In the offline version I don't even get the version of my pedal returned where I do with the web version.

David Grosz

You can copy and paste from web based editor and saving to a word doc and and then copy and paste into real editor.
This is what I did and Control c for copy and Control v to paste into editor works fine