New Owner using SooperLooper under Linux

rmilby@...

Edited

Greetings!

I recently bought a used Behringer FCB1010 and am learning to program it, slowly... with the help of this very well done youtube video from "In The Mix"

Behringer FCB1010 Full Tutorial / Video Manual

And the confusing manual https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/sys_master/hc5/h29/8850023383070.pdf

I am using SooperLooper under Linux, QjackCTL, command line midisnoop, and other Ubuntu Studio apps.
Programming this thing is not that easy, but frankly I am having more difficulty understanding
  • which superlooper functions I need  to get started ( sooperlooper forum helps with that)
  • why I should care about multiple banks - aren't 10 switches enough?

Does anyone have experience getting a sysex dump to amidi to work?
Studio7010:...~$ pmidi -l
 Port     Client name                       Port name
 14:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
 20:0     AudioBox USB                      AudioBox USB MIDI 1
 24:0     M Audio Audiophile 24/96          M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MIDI
128:0     Client-128                        qjackctl
Studio7010:...~$ amidi -l
Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:1,0,0  AudioBox USB MIDI 1
IO  hw:2,0    M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MIDI
Studio7010:...~$ amidi -p hw:2,0 -d

amidi will not run with -p 24:0  and when I start it as shown, and use the instructions in the manual 2.7.1 Saving the FCB1010 memory with the help of
SysEx dumps
the fcb1010 switch # 6 LED does not light up, and amidi is left hanging.
Note: My midi cables are connected and I can see midi messages in midisnoop. I have a midi keyboard on FCB1010 midi in

Any thoughts?

Cheers   -Rob

[Subject edited by moderator to add focus]

[update by rmilby]
I gave up on amidi, but I managed to get a sysdump
$ arecordmidi --port=14:0 dump.txt
$ ls -l dump.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 rob rob 2433 Dec 12 14:43 dump.txt
$ cat dump.txt | xxd

Also midisnoop was able to capture it, and to my surprise formatted the output, but it has no ability to send the output to a file.
I am done for now.

Ashley J Gittins

Hi Rob!

Fellow linux user here :-)

Sooperlooper:
==========

The key sooperlooper bindings I use are:

- record (the main "let's start/stop laying down a loop)

- mute_trigger (as a "dear god, stop!" sort of deal, and to restart a loop from the beginning)

- overdub (for laying down another part on top of an existing loop)

- undo and redo (good for removing then re-applying overdubs, say for a breakdown)

I'd start off with just using a single loop and the above bindings, get used to things that way, with overdubbing parts, adding/removing sections etc.

Once you get comfortable with that, you can then think about whether you need multiple loops or not for more complicated pieces, and whether you would prefer to use dedicated pedals for each loop, or use the select_next_loop binding to control loops one by one with the same set of pedals. I'm not at that point yet, myself :-)

Banks
=====

For sure, just assume that 10 keys are enough. By the time it matters to you, you'll have your answer :-)

It all comes down to how you want to work. Some people like having each button act like a single guitar pedal, and they select from those pedals to create their sound. This works well for someone who has "their own sound" or likes to keep it simple, say. Others might spend a lot of time crafting individual sounds for different songs - say if doing lots of covers and you want to really nail the particular sounds on each song - so you might have a different bank per "artist", so all your David Gilmour patches are on one (or three) banks, another bank has your BB King sounds, another five banks for Jeff Beck... you get the idea. There's no "right" way, just ways that work right for you.

SysEx dumps
==========

For recording SysEx, your observations re amidi requiring -p hw:2,0 sounds correct, as amidi deals with alsa RAWMidi ports (hardware ports?) not regular alsa midi ports (cooked ports which include software and hardware ports). I might be a bit off with my terminology there. If you look in the graph in qjackctrl, does it show amidi is connected to your midi interface when it's running in dump mode? (It's possible the graph might not show you anything helpful from midi land, ymmv).

When you have amidi running in dump mode it should show any pedal presses you do even if not in sysex mode.

I think the first step is to verify if amidi is receiving normal midi messages from your FCB, then after you've established that, try sending your sysex dump (note that dump mode in amidi just means "dump midi output to screen" and is nothing to do with SysEx mode specifically - you probably know that but thought I'd point it out just in case).

Hope that helps!

---
Regards,

Ashley J Gittins
https://ajg.net.au/

On 2020-12-13 07:37, rmilby@... wrote:

Greetings!

[...]

Ashley -
I really liked "By the time it matters to you, you'll have your answer!", and I do understand. I always have to push myself to dive into things as a part of learning.

You have given me a better idea about how I might use the banks. I think I will be more of a "soundscape" performer than a "cover artist".
btw, I am in awe of Randolf Arriola - and yes, I am sitting at the home city of the Y2K International Live Looping Festival mentioned in the Ted Talk.

I have already made SooperLooper work by teaching it to take midi  notes from my keyboard and start, and I have gotten some help at

I am in the middle of programing bank 1 to send "note on" commands, so I can let SL learn them  and experiment with actually looping instead of sitting and staring at manuals of SL. FCB1010 and Echoplex (recommended by Jesse http://essej.net/sooperlooper/index.html)

Thank you for taking the time to post, and for your encouragement.

- Rob

rmilby@...

I have succeeded in programing all the Bank 0 locations to be Notes, and have started to "learn" SooperLooper to respond.

To other beginners: The manual for this is confusing and poorly written and difficult to understand, but I think it is accurate. The single most difficult thing for me was learning how to tell where I was in the programming  sequence. My early attempts often ending in power off - start again.
Finally, when I began talking to myself in earnest ( a clear an indication that the Right Brain knows things that the Left does not) I would  recite:
I want to program location (bank,key_num) (change bank, press key)
I really want to program (DOWN long press)  => sw 2 LED on
I want to select Midi Function ( Up Key quick press) => SELECT LED on
I want to program this function ( Note Function Key long press)
I really want to ( Note Function Key quick press)
I really, really want to ( Up Key quick press) number LED display - it it shows correct number RETYPE it anyway)
Program the note number (tap number keys 0-9)
Done with Location ( DOWN long press )
Watching the "In The Mix" Video was very helpful, as were reassurance from this group that it is possible to program the damn thing, all are very much appreciated.
I think this is impossible without a monitor on your computer - Midisnoop worked for me on Linux with QjackCTL
I also recommend using a known good device (like a midi keyboard) to be sure that your cables , connections and computer software are all working before you start.
Don't forget to change the channel of "CNT 1"  to prevent "Tap-Tempo" messages from going to your midi channel of interest.

Cheers!