New to my FCB1010, could use programing help.

Drew Weininger

Hello Everyone.

Totally new to FCB1010 and this chat group.  I bought an FCB1010 on a whim and trying to set it up.  I’d love to understand better how to program it.

I want to use it to control MainStage

BigSur 11.4
MacBook Pro: Apple M1

I’ve installed FCB1010 Manager and watched a handful of tutorials and read through the manual.  I’m new to Midi…

My understanding…

I want my FCB1010 to simply toggle on/off a foot pedal in MainStage.  I can set up MainStage and my keyboard to do this but my FCB will not seem to do it.  My Bank 0; 1-10 switches seem to do nothing.  My expression pedals however… I can map that to my MainStage pedals.

All I want to do is set Bank 0; Switch 1 to my pedal in MainStage.

I think where I’m getting confused is I’m not certain what a CC is vs a PC vs a Note and which one I should use.

MainStage uses 1-128 and so Does FCB…

But I don’t know where to plug in the numbers and which numbers to put in?  I would think I would set something like

Preset0:1 to Cnt 1 to 1 (= off). And Cont 2 to 64 (=on) and controlling the Value 80… which I think is an on/off CC…. ?  So if I tap it twice I would get those values sequentially?

As you can see I’m not doing this correctly- but I feel like I’m close!

I would map those values in FCB1010 Manager and then send them to my FCB1010  to program into the board.   Then switch the cable over to output and finish setting them up in MS.

Any help is appreciated! Would love to get this board working.

THanks!!!

-Drew

EJ SHELDON

Edited

A VERY simplified explanation:

Think of a PC (Program/Preset Change) as a message that calls a saved collection of instructions.
They might configure a sound on a synthesizer or a scene in a light show.
Some programs/devices respond to 0-127, some use 1-128. Differences are usually resolved in code behind the scenes.

A CC (Control Change) is used to set a single parameter (or group of parameters) within a Preset. For example, Volume.
It might be a simple ON/OFF (CC# + VALUE = 0-63/64-127), or a specific "level" - CC# + VALUE 0=0db;127=100db.

By default, all of the buttons on the stock FCB send PC messages. If CNT values are set, it sends them sequentially - PC-CNT1-CNT2.
The Exp Pedals send CC# + a variable VALUE based on pedal position.

To create a "Toggling" CC, you disable the PC message (not required, see below), then set BOTH CNT1 and CNT2 to the SAME CC#.
You set the VALUE of CNT1 to either 0 or 64 (I always use 0/127), and set the VALUE of CNT2 to the opposite.
Some programs/devices simply use 0/1. RTM!

The first time you press the button it sends CNT1, then next press CNT2.
If you don't disable the PC message, the first press sends the PC followed by CNT1, the next press sends just CNT2.
Subsequent presses alternate the CNT messages.

Note that, if you select a different Preset (press a different button), the status of the CNT sequence is NOT SAVED!
This is one of the many differences between the stock FCB and the UNO chip.

I can't tell you specifics of how to apply this information to Mainstage, as I am a PC guy.
From what I've read about Mainstage, it uses an intervening "VIRTUAL Control Panel". You assign (or "Learn") a value to a virtual controller in the "Control Panel", then assign that controller to whatever you want to control within the program according to the program's requirements. I think you can also create multiple "Control Panels" for different purposes. RTM!

Hope this helps/makes sense!

EDIT: I've never used that editor beyond seeing what it was about but it LOOKS like you're doing it right. If the editor isn't sending the configuration to the FCB it COULD be because your MIDI interface won't send sysex messages. What MIDI Interface are you using? It could also be because the editor requires two cable (IN/OUT) connections, or that you haven't configured the I/O Ports correctly in the editor's SETTINGS/PREFERENCES dialog. Since I haven't had the stock chip in my FCB since two hours after I bought it, I can't really help beyond that.

EJ SHELDON

Further thoughts:

It's always a good idea, when programming your FCB, to have two cables connected. This way, after you send the sysex to the FCB, you can verify the success of the operation using a MIDI Monitor. I don't know if that editor has a Monitor, but I'm pretty sure that Mainstage does, and there are standalone Monitors available online for MAC.

Another reason that a sysex send might fail is that sometimes the FCB's tiny little brain gets scrambled, and it starts to do strange things. When your FCB starts acting wonky for no apparent reason, perform a factory reset by booting while holding buttons 1 + 6.

Anytime you perform a factory reset, and before the first time you use an editor, you need to set the FCB to Receive Sysex.
You do this by booting while holding the DOWN button, hit the UP button twice, then hit button 7. The LED will light.
Then hold the DOWN button until the FCB starts it's reboot sequence.

I'm into my second cup of coffee, so I may think of something else. :-)

Drew Weininger

Thanks Ed!

This is  helping me clarify all of  this in my head.

I have a few questions for you if you get another cup of coffee in you and feel like answering! :)

PC and CC… got it and that makes sense thanks for the explanation...

Why is there a 1-128 and a 0-127… that seems confusing.  Why didn’t the MIDI founders just make it one set? lol.

OK, it works!  I was able to program my board and get preset 1 to toggle my MainStage footswitch on and an off.   I set my CNT1 to 80 which is a general on/off toggle and the value to 0 and the CNT2 #80 and Value to 127.  Programed the board and it works with MainStage.  Very, very cool.

You picked up on something… I thought MIDI was a two way signal… so I only had one cable running from my FCB1010 to my interface.  I hooked up a second cable going the opposite direction…. Don’t know what I didn’t think of that in the fist place.

Questions:

There are 10 presets on the FCB1010 and 2 expression pedals…

But there are only 10 presets in the FCB manager… where do I set the expression pedals?

Also if you’re not using the FCB manager… what are you using to program the board?

Finally… I’m not sure what this means.

“ Note that, if you select a different Preset (press a different button), the status of the CNT sequence is NOT SAVED!"

So if I use preset 1 as an on/off toggle and hit the peddle… I’ve run the first part of the sequence… but if I then hit preset #2… the FCB will think that it hasn’t started the preset 1 initial sequence.  So if I hit preset #1 again… if will initiate, again, the fist part fo the sequence?

Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

On Nov 30, 2021, at 10:32 AM, EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

From what I've read about Mainstage, it uses an intervening "VIRTUAL Control Panel". You assign (or "Learn") a value to a virtual controller in the "Control Panel", then assign that controller to whatever you want to control within the program according to the program's requirements. I think you can also create multiple "Control Panels" for different purposes. RTM!

Hope this helps/makes sense!

EDIT: I've never used that editor beyond seeing what it was about but it LOOKS like you're doing it right. If the editor isn't sending the configuration to the FCB it COULD be because your MIDI interface won't send sysex messages. What MIDI Interface are you using? It could also be because the editor requires two cable (IN/OUT) connections, or that you haven't configured the I/O Ports correctly in the editor's SETTINGS/PREFERENCES dialog. Since I haven't had the stock chip in my FCB since two hours after I bought it, I can't really help beyond that.

EJ SHELDON

Edited

"Why is there a 1-128 and a 0-127… that seems confusing.  Why didn’t the MIDI founders just make it one set? lol."

They did: 0-127. Somewhere along the line. device mfrs decided that displaying 1-128 was more "User Friendly". Right.

More Fun MIDI Factoids:
MIDI was originally designed to control HW Synths. As a standardization method, certain CC#s were "Reserved" for certain functions. Not all synths used all, or any, or the "Standards". Most likely, you can ignore these and use whatever CC#s you like for whatever. For our purposes, just make sure that if more than one device is "Daisy Chained", they're all listening on different Channels. Here's a list of "Reserved CCs", in case you're interested:

MIDI CC List (Quick Guide) - Professional Composers

"There are 10 presets on the FCB1010 and 2 expression pedals…

But there are only 10 presets in the FCB manager… where do I set the expression pedals?"

Here's where I'm going to recommend that you read the FCB1010 Manual. It's kind of a "rite of passage" to allow Behringer to confuse new users as much as possible.

The short story:

The FCB has two operating Modes Direct Select Activated and Deactivated. Forget Direct Select. Deactivate it (default).

There's 10 Presets in each of the FCB's 10 Banks. Each preset can send 5 Program Changes, 2 CCs (or 1 Toggling CC), 1 NOTE, and control 2 Exp Pedals (A & B), all on different MIDI Channels. Each Preset can also control 2 HW Switches - useful for Channel Changing/Reverb etc on amps that support it.

In the editor that you are using, the individual 10 Preset Banks are differentiated by Light or Dark Grey.

NOTE: Before the Expression pedals are activated, you have to select a Preset where the Exp Pedals are assigned. If they are NOT assigned in a given Preset, they won't work. The settings are NOT Global.

"Also if you’re not using the FCB manager… what are you using to program the board?"

I HIGHLY recommend that you spend $22 to get the UNO_ControlCenter Editor. The editor that you are using is not bad, but IIRC, is not actively supported, and the UNO_ControlCenter is just better. You do not need the UNO Chip, but when you upgrade to UNO, your current editor will no longer work.

FCB/UnO Control Center for the Behringer FCB1010

"Finally… I’m not sure what this means.

“ Note that, if you select a different Preset (press a different button), the status of the CNT sequence is NOT SAVED!"

So if I use preset 1 as an on/off toggle and hit the peddle… I’ve run the first part of the sequence… but if I then hit preset #2… the FCB will think that it hasn’t started the preset 1 initial sequence.  So if I hit preset #1 again… if will initiate, again, the fist part fo the sequence?

Does that make sense?"

Exactly!

If you upgrade to the UNO Chip, what you get is 19 Banks. In each Bank, either the top or bottom row of switches (your choice) acts as "Stomp" style buttons, sending up to two "Toggling" CCs, with the LEDs reflecting the status of the Stomp. The other row sends PCs (Presets). Each Stomp has it's own memory - within the selected preset, if you send ON with Stomp 1, then send OFF with Stomp 2, Stomp 1 remembers that when you press it again it needs to send OFF. Also, you can send all 5 Stomp Messages (with assigned Value1 or 2 - ON or OFF or NO CHANGE) on Preset Load. This means that, for instance, in an Amp Sim with 5 FX, you can turn ON/OFF whichever FX you need for that song or song part. The LEDs on the Stomps will reflect the status (can't be done at all with the stock chip) and if you need to change the configuration, the assigned Stomp is ready to go - if you sent ON at Preset Load, it'll send OFF.

IOW - whereas the FCB communicates in one direction only, this allows you to create faux two-way communication.

If you change presets, however, you're back to where you started.

UNO reduces the total number of presets available to 95 (19 * 5). The saved memory is used for the Stomp functions.

Drew Weininger

Ed.

Huge help.  Thank you so much.

I’ve read your email a few times.  For the most part it all makes sense.

You sold me on the Uno-ControlCenter Editor.  I’m downloading it right after I’m done typing here.

Will definitely reread the manual.  The first time I read it, I was clueless to all of this- so I’m hoping the 2nd time around, will make more sense.

If I wanted to buy the UNO chip and install it do you have a recommendations on where to get it?  I see some on Ebay for about $15, US.

For now.  I think that’s my last question.

-Drew

On Nov 30, 2021, at 3:27 PM, EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

PLEASE do not buy it from a pirate on eBay.
Buy it from the creator, who also wrote the UNO_ControlCenter Editor.

UnO (fcb1010.eu)

He also created the UNO2 Chip (fully programmable, what I currently use), and is an active contributor in this forum.