Roland BK7M

fm7bfbyhpyemqnjhrqjg6jk6khxj5hyaca4nv7lc@...

Hi

Has anyone used the FCB1010 to control the various features on a Roland BK7M and if so is there a data dump available?

Roland for reason only known to themselves have discontinued the FC7 foot controller which gave brilliant control over the BK7M

Thanks in advance

EJ SHELDON

I had a quick look through the documentation and couldn’t find the MIDI commands that would duplicate the FC7 functions. It’s probable that it sends either proprietary Roland codes or MMC (sysex). The FCB doesn’t send sysex, except as it’s used for configuration with an editor. It’s possible that there could be intermediary hardware or software solutions available, but your best bet, lacking any Roland documentation, is to look for a used FC7 on eBay.

Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2019 12:10 PM
To: fcb1010@...
Subject: [fcb1010] Roland BK7M

Hi

Has anyone used the FCB1010 to control the various features on a Roland BK7M and if so is there a data dump available?

Roland for reason only known to themselves have discontinued the FC7 foot controller which gave brilliant control over the BK7M

Thanks in advance

grantcrawford22

Thanks. 
Sadly FC7s are as rare as rocking horse manure.
Back to the drawing board.
(Often wonder what the inventor of the drawing board went back till he got it right ;-)  )

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 - powered by Three

-------- Original message --------
From: "EJ SHELDON bluesrock13@... [fcb1010]" <fcb1010@...>
Date: 12/01/2019 10:49 pm (GMT+00:00)
Subject: RE: [fcb1010] Roland BK7M

I had a quick look through the documentation and couldn’t find the MIDI commands that would duplicate the FC7 functions. It’s probable that it sends either proprietary Roland codes or MMC (sysex). The FCB doesn’t send sysex, except as it’s used for configuration with an editor. It’s possible that there could be intermediary hardware or software solutions available, but your best bet, lacking any Roland documentation, is to look for a used FC7 on eBay.

Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2019 12:10 PM

Hi

Thanks in advance

Hws111 <hws111@...>

Got rid of it

Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2019 3:10 PM

Hi

Thanks in advance

Rolf Westberg

A couple of years back, I considered exchanging my Roland FC7 for a for a FCB 1010.  The attached files are the results of that experiment.  The 1010 worked great for tone (patch) selection, calling performances, and some controller and division functions.  However, because the 1010 does not send mini SFX messages, in the Roland style, I still had to use momentary switches attached to the BK-7m for Start/Stop, tone change for UP1 to UP2, intro, ending, etc.

I now use an iPad with the ForScore software.  ForScore can send Program changes, Song Select (performance) and Hex Code(SFX) messages.  I control most everything from the iPad, but still use a couple of switches on a Boss FS-6 for Start/Stop and tone selection.  I wired up a custom cable for the FS-6 using a 8-pin Midi plug and a TRS jack.  Just connect any 2 of the wires to tip and ring and one to ground.  Since the BK-7M functions for the FC7 are programmable, just set them to what you want to control. 

I also replace the Midi cable between my instrument and the BK-7M with a MidiBeam wireless Transmitter-Receiver and replaced the audio cable from the BK-7M to my amp with a Boss WL-20L setup. But that is another story.

Hope this helps,

Rolf

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jack Fenton

I would just get a BomeBox and load a a Bome MIDI Translator project file onto it to translate messages from the FCB1010 to whatever messages the BK-7M needs. I'm sure Florian Bomers would make you a deal on this type of package if you just use the Contact Me link on the web site.

Or you could use a MIDI Solutions Event Processor to do the translation.

EJ SHELDON

OP has already dumped the BK7M, so this is really a moot point, but you never know when somebody else will want to do this. If you read the rest of this thread, you know that I searched in vain for Roland documentation on just exactly what the BK7M wants to see for it’s transport control commands, whether it’s some special Roland language, MMC or whatever. Buying BOME or any other intermediary device or SW is really a pointless waste of time and money without that info, so I’d be really interested if you can help us all out with that?

Thanks!

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 2:29 PM
Subject: [fcb1010] Re: Roland BK7M

I would just get a BomeBox and load a a Bome MIDI Translator project file onto it to translate messages from the FCB1010 to whatever messages the BK-7M needs. I'm sure Florian Bomers would make you a deal on this type of package if you just use the Contact Me link on the web site.

Jack Fenton

Most of the Roland MIDI documentation can be found on their support site. I've been able to find details for many of their products there. It is all indexed by product model. Right, if you don't have the device or documentation, no point it wasting your time to try and reverse engineer it.

Specifically, the BK7M info can be found at the link below:

Ian Ockwell-smith

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but do MMC messages do what's required? I only say this as I have an FC200 that I'm sure I read somewhere can be made to send MMCs. Please ignore if not relevant.

Ian

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Date: 13/01/2019 23:23 (GMT+00:00)
Subject: RE: [fcb1010] Re: Roland BK7M

OP has already dumped the BK7M, so this is really a moot point, but you never know when somebody else will want to do this. If you read the rest of this thread, you know that I searched in vain for Roland documentation on just exactly what the BK7M wants to see for it’s transport control commands, whether it’s some special Roland language, MMC or whatever. Buying BOME or any other intermediary device or SW is really a pointless waste of time and money without that info, so I’d be really interested if you can help us all out with that?

Thanks!

EJ SHELDON

When I said that I searched in vain, did you think that the Roland site wasn’t my first stop? But maybe I just missed it. If you can find that info there or anywhere else, you’d really be doing everyone who might ever buy one of these devices a great service! Maybe even make a sale for BOME or MIDI Solutions.

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 3:31 PM

Most of the Roland MIDI documentation can be found on their support site. I've been able to find details for many of their products there. It is all indexed by product model. Right, if you don't have the device or documentation, no point it wasting your time to try and reverse engineer it.

Specifically, the BK7M info can be found at the link below:

EJ SHELDON

No clue. That’s what we’re trying to establish.

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 3:36 PM

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but do MMC messages do what's required? I only say this as I have an FC200 that I'm sure I read somewhere can be made to send MMCs. Please ignore if not relevant.

Ian

Thanks!

Ian Ockwell-smith

Ah ok. I had been loosely following your conversation. Whilst trying to find a lead I found my old MMC Roland cable. For a mo I thought I'd solved the problem........and the question of the universe and everything.

I'll get my coat........

Ian

Date: 13/01/2019 23:37 (GMT+00:00)

Ian

Thanks!

EJ SHELDON

42. Fortunately for everybody, we didn’t need a Roland manual for that.

Roland apparently wants to forget it made the FC-200. No manual on their site, just a “Quick Start Guide” that mentions controllers and notes, but not sysex or anything else useful. The FC-300 manual does confirm that unit can do sysex. But, since we don’t know WHAT sysex might control the MK7M, unfortunate owners of that otherwise quite powerful looking device are SOL for a controller.

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 3:45 PM

Ah ok. I had been loosely following your conversation. Whilst trying to find a lead I found my old MMC Roland cable. For a mo I thought I'd solved the problem........and the question of the universe and everything.

I'll get my coat........

Ian

Ian

Thanks!

Jack Fenton

Roland doesn't have the FC-200 manual on their web site (was originally developed by Boss). I found a copy somewhere though. Just don't remember where and yes it can put out MMC messages and Realtime Messages as well.

IMO the Roland foot controllers were really pretty much to work with their own equipment and they didn't give much thought to flexibility with other vendors. The FCB-1010 is superior in this regards.

EJ SHELDON

Roland, much like Apple, is all about controlling their own ecosystem. As long as you stay with their stuff, everything is guaranteed to work as expected. Unfortunately, they don’t have a great track record when it comes to long term support of their devices. Once they’re discontinued, if you can’t afford to move up to the latest greatest, you’re SOL.

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 4:01 PM

Roland doesn't have the FC-200 manual on their web site (was originally developed by Boss). I found a copy somewhere though. Just don't remember where and yes it can put out MMC messages and Realtime Messages as well.

IMO the Roland foot controllers were really pretty much to work with their own equipment and they didn't give much thought to flexibility with other vendors. The FCB-1010 is superior in this regards.

Ian Ockwell-smith

I have the FC200 manual downloaded if that helps. Here is the page that mentions MMC commands.

Ian

Date: 13/01/2019 23:56 (GMT+00:00)

42. Fortunately for everybody, we didn’t need a Roland manual for that.

Roland apparently wants to forget it made the FC-200. No manual on their site, just a “Quick Start Guide” that mentions controllers and notes, but not sysex or anything else useful. The FC-300 manual does confirm that unit can do sysex. But, since we don’t know WHAT sysex might control the MK7M, unfortunate owners of that otherwise quite powerful looking device are SOL for a controller.

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 3:45 PM

I'll get my coat........

Ian

Ian

Thanks!

Jack Fenton

Also, Roland is not alone when it comes to short term and poor product support. Fortunately we have forums like this to fill in the gaps.

Ian Ockwell-smith

I have really read the FC 200 manual as I had a Gt pro and bought it for "manual" mode where it's set up for Gt pro fx on/off add. Have a Kemper now and am certain it can be programmed to work but was quicker to get Uno4 Kemper instead (lazy bugger AM I). May well sit down and try to get it going with the KPA as without a doubt it's better built than the FCB.

Date: 14/01/2019 00:01 (GMT+00:00)

EJ SHELDON

We try. Unfortunately, I suspect that the secret language spoken by the FC7 and BK7M are destined to forever be shrouded in mystery!

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 4:24 PM

Also, Roland is not alone when it comes to short term and poor product support. Fortunately we have forums like this to fill in the gaps.

EJ SHELDON

I’m not doubting you, just trying to get a copy

I recently did a lengthy study for someone on the L6 Helix forum on how to get the Helix to call presets on the KPA. Only piece of MIDI equipment I’ve ever seen (the KPA) that requires a calculator and/or a spreadsheet to figure out the PC#s required to load presets!

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 4:29 PM

I have really read the FC 200 manual as I had a Gt pro and bought it for "manual" mode where it's set up for Gt pro fx on/off add. Have a Kemper now and am certain it can be programmed to work but was quicker to get Uno4 Kemper instead (lazy bugger AM I). May well sit down and try to get it going with the KPA as without a doubt it's better built than the FCB.

Date: 14/01/2019 00:01 (GMT+00:00)