From: fcb1010@... <fcb1010@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2019 12:10 PM
To: fcb1010@...
Subject: [fcb1010] Roland BK7M

Hi

Has anyone used the FCB1010 to control the various features on a Roland BK7M and if so is there a data dump available?

Roland for reason only known to themselves have discontinued the FC7 foot controller which gave brilliant control over the BK7M

Thanks in advance

grantcrawford22

Thanks.
Sadly FC7s are as rare as rocking horse manure.
Back to the drawing board.
(Often wonder what the inventor of the drawing board went back till he got it right ;-)  )

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 - powered by Three

I had a quick look through the documentation and couldn’t find the MIDI commands that would duplicate the FC7 functions. It’s probable that it sends either proprietary Roland codes or MMC (sysex). The FCB doesn’t send sysex, except as it’s used for configuration with an editor. It’s possible that there could be intermediary hardware or software solutions available, but your best bet, lacking any Roland documentation, is to look for a used FC7 on eBay.

Has anyone used the FCB1010 to control the various features on a Roland BK7M and if so is there a data dump available?

Roland for reason only known to themselves have discontinued the FC7 foot controller which gave brilliant control over the BK7M

Thanks in advance

Hws111 <hws111@...>

Got rid of it

From: "EJ SHELDON bluesrock13@... [fcb1010]" <fcb1010@...>
Date: 13/01/2019 23:23 (GMT+00:00)
To: fcb1010@...
Subject: RE: [fcb1010] Re: Roland BK7M

[...]

When I said that I searched in vain, did you think that the Roland site wasn’t my first stop? But maybe I just missed it. If you can find that info there or anywhere else, you’d really be doing everyone who might ever buy one of these devices a great service! Maybe even make a sale for BOME or MIDI Solutions.

Most of the Roland MIDI documentation can be found on their support site. I've been able to find details for many of their products there. It is all indexed by product model. Right, if you don't have the device or documentation, no point it wasting your time to try and reverse engineer it.

Specifically, the BK7M info can be found at the link below:

EJ SHELDON

No clue. That’s what we’re trying to establish.

[...]

Ian Ockwell-smith

Ah ok. I had been loosely following your conversation. Whilst trying to find a lead I found my old MMC Roland cable. For a mo I thought I'd solved the problem........and the question of the universe and everything.

I'll get my coat........

[...]

42. Fortunately for everybody, we didn’t need a Roland manual for that.

Roland apparently wants to forget it made the FC-200. No manual on their site, just a “Quick Start Guide” that mentions controllers and notes, but not sysex or anything else useful. The FC-300 manual does confirm that unit can do sysex. But, since we don’t know WHAT sysex might control the MK7M, unfortunate owners of that otherwise quite powerful looking device are SOL for a controller.

[...]

Jack Fenton

Roland doesn't have the FC-200 manual on their web site (was originally developed by Boss). I found a copy somewhere though. Just don't remember where and yes it can put out MMC messages and Realtime Messages as well.

IMO the Roland foot controllers were really pretty much to work with their own equipment and they didn't give much thought to flexibility with other vendors. The FCB-1010 is superior in this regards.

EJ SHELDON

Roland, much like Apple, is all about controlling their own ecosystem. As long as you stay with their stuff, everything is guaranteed to work as expected. Unfortunately, they don’t have a great track record when it comes to long term support of their devices. Once they’re discontinued, if you can’t afford to move up to the latest greatest, you’re SOL.

Roland doesn't have the FC-200 manual on their web site (was originally developed by Boss). I found a copy somewhere though. Just don't remember where and yes it can put out MMC messages and Realtime Messages as well.

IMO the Roland foot controllers were really pretty much to work with their own equipment and they didn't give much thought to flexibility with other vendors. The FCB-1010 is superior in this regards.

Ian Ockwell-smith

I have the FC200 manual downloaded if that helps. Here is the page that mentions MMC commands.

[...]

Also, Roland is not alone when it comes to short term and poor product support. Fortunately we have forums like this to fill in the gaps.

Ian Ockwell-smith

I have really read the FC 200 manual as I had a Gt pro and bought it for "manual" mode where it's set up for Gt pro fx on/off add. Have a Kemper now and am certain it can be programmed to work but was quicker to get Uno4 Kemper instead (lazy bugger AM I). May well sit down and try to get it going with the KPA as without a doubt it's better built than the FCB.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Roland doesn't have the FC-200 manual on their web site (was originally developed by Boss). I found a copy somewhere though. Just don't remember where and yes it can put out MMC messages and Realtime Messages as well.

IMO the Roland foot controllers were really pretty much to work with their own equipment and they didn't give much thought to flexibility with other vendors. The FCB-1010 is superior in this regards.

EJ SHELDON

We try. Unfortunately, I suspect that the secret language spoken by the FC7 and BK7M are destined to forever be shrouded in mystery!

Date: 14/01/2019 00:01 (GMT+00:00)