Roland SPD-SX

Cade Ponce

Noob here. I was able to program my fcb to work with Ableton Live 10 but for the time being I found myself working more with the SPD-SX. So here’s my question: Has anyone here been able to setup a stock FCB-1010 to control the Roland SPD-SX sampling pad? If so, how did you do it? I’m trying to trigger drum kit changes, start up samples and maybe control the effect knobs in the Roland unit with the FCB’s pedals. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

EJ SHELDON

I don’t have an SPD-SX, but had a quick look at the manual.

As with most eDrums, the default Global MIDI channel is 10. Unless you’ve changed it for some reason, set the FCB’s Global MIDI channels to 10.

Page 68 of the manual describes how to enable the MIDI control functions.

PC TX/RX SW should be set to ON

CC TX/RX SW should be set to ON

MASTER FX SEL CC, MASTER FX CTRL1 CC and MASTER FX CTRL2 CC can be set to 111,112 and 113. These are “non-reserved” MIDI CC#s.

The default settings of the stock FCB should send either PC#s 000-099 or 001-100. I dumped the stock chip in favor of the UNO chip after the first hour of trying to use it, so I don’t really remember. It looks like the SPD-SX numbers it’s presets (kits) 001-100, so you should be good. Even if the FCB starts with 000, it should just load 001 by default. Try it.

I’m assuming that, since it’s not specified, when the unit receives a CC, it simply reverses the status of the assigned function. If the Effect is OFF, it turns ON.

If the SPD-SX doesn’t work as described above, the FCB manual page 11/section 2.5 describes how to set up Toggling (CC Value 000=OFF, Value 127=ON).

You’ll need to set the FCB CC1/CC2 controllers to whichever FX CTRL CC#s you’ve assigned (111,112,113) according to your needs for that kit.

Near as I can tell, you can’t use MIDI to control the effects via the Expression pedals. However, you can try using the Expression pedals by simply assigning the CC#s used (111,112,113) to the Expression pedals and see what happens.

Near as I can tell, that’s about it for what you can control via MIDI, apart from using NOTEs to play the pads from external trigger devices.

Roland is notoriously bad at documenting the MIDI functions of their lesser devices. You may find more info on a Roland specific forum.