Topics

Sysex for all 12 scales

Steve Pettinger

hi,

has anyone come across a clever way of organising the fcb (uno) pedals so you could play all/most of the 12 major scales (for example as bass notes) during a gig?

ive had a good look around but I can’t spot anything, and I’m thinking there must be a cleverer way rather than just notes 1 to 100 which would mean switching banks mid song.

all suggestions welcome, thanks....steve

chrisw_63

Well, there are 7 different notes in a typical scale, though most consider the octave root to be a needed part.  So that's 8 notes. The easiest arrangement would be to pick the ten most used keys and program them in, ten notes per key, one to a bank.  Or, at least, have the keys for that gig programmed in prior to playing.  Only having 8 or even ten notes of a scale to play is a little limiting, but it works.  Unless you're willing to invest (and I mean Inve$t) in a bass pedal controller, it's what you have to work with.

So the question really has to be: what are you using to sound the notes?  Hopefully whatever you're using has a Transpose function that can be controlled by MIDI.  Simply assign, for instance, 9 and 10 to Transpose Down and Transpose Up.  Then you have 1-8 as notes.  You could have each bank be a different musical mode.  Ionian (major), Dorian, ...Mixolydian, Aeolian (natural minor)...  Maybe have a jazz scale option - Pentatonic, etc..  The neat thing about modes with bass is:  If you find yourself wanting to play, say, B as a leading tone to the root C (or the seventh, whatever key), you can slide right up to Locrian and B is now your lowest note.  You could get really complicated with this.  Get a Bome Box and have it translate one of the pedals to send the MIDI you set as a Transpose message - then you'd have all ten switches as notes. If you're using a computer, it can do all the grunt work (cycle through patches for scales), and you could even transform your phone into a simple wireless MIDI controller to send the Transpose MIDI for you.

ossandust

UnO2 firmware gives some nice features for creating an inexpensive bass pedal:
you can define a variable which contains the transpose value - it can be incremented/decremented with 2 switches, and added to the note values of each note switch.
You can use a "wait" command to send fixed-length notes so that you don't need to keep the switches pressed
You can trigger as many NoteOn/NoteOff commands as you want with 1 switch, so you can play pre-programmed chords or note sequences
Instead of using 2 transpose buttons you can also create a bank for each scale, and fast-scroll through up to 200 banks

Steve Pettinger

Brilliant reply, thanks very much chrisw. Just what I was looking for, and lots of good things for me to try out. Appreciated. Steve

Steve Pettinger

Ooh that's interesting. Thank you ossandust.

I've just bought and installed the Uno chip (I'm only 10-15 years behind the times haha) so will give that a go first. But will keep uno2 in mind for future. Thanks again, appreciated.

violet_quartet

A simple idea for a simple pop song in C major could be to arrange the bass
notes analogously to the circle of fifths:

Pedal 1: ?
Pedal 2: D (Min)
Pedal 3: A (Min)
Pedal 4: E (Min)
Pedal 5: ? (B Min)

Pedal 6: ?
Pedal 7: F (Maj)
Pedal 8: C (Maj)
Pedal 9: G (Maj)
Pedal 0: ? (D Maj)

Some buttons are still unused ...

Earth.Sky.Surf5@...

I have used the stock standard FCB1010 to pitch shift select with Ableton Live. I created a backing clip or riff in midi, then put a midi pitch shift controller in front of the effect chain. The pitch selection stock standard can be absolute, like I, II, IV, VI for a common chord choice, but if you want a bit more spice and use chromatic shifts, I use a relative pitch shift via the ClyphXPro add-on (one button for up one semitone, another button for down a semitone). It’s like playing the chord buttons of a piano accordion but with your feet. Depends what you are used to, I play the piano accordion so am used to the perfect fifths intervals of the chord buttons and would set up the FCB1010 that way. But hey configure however you like. If your backing track is audio, then an octaver from Melda Productions can be used, it has the option to select the interval via midi notes, which could be set with the FCB1010.

Steve Pettinger

Ah yes, thank you Violet Q ...I hadn't thought of linking it to circle of fifths. I will try this out. Thanks again 😁

Steve Pettinger

Wow, thanks Earth SS....I am fairly new to the Ableton side of things as well but I am going to print off your suggestion and try and work through it over the coming weeks.

Can I check one thing quickly....when u mention a midi pitch shift controller, is this inbuilt in Ableton?

Thanks again :-)

chrisw_63

..when u mention a midi pitch shift controller, is this inbuilt in Ableton?
Yep.. under MIDI Effects.  It's just named Pitch.

Earth.Sky.Surf5@...

Chris,
you beat me to it.

but this assumes you are using a midi instrument.

If it is audio data, sorry there is no dynamic option builtin in Ableton (that I know of, I have Standard edition), but instead you would resort to a third party octaver like from MeldaProduction's, MHarmonizer:

the above example gives you a power chord, however the notes in green can come from a midi source as well, like what you can generate from the FCB1010 foot controller. The Mharmonizer is not that expensive either and I found it to be one of the best. I use it for my electric violin.

Have fun.

Steve Pettinger

Oh gosh yes, sorry I should have checked there. I didn't realise it would be so easy :-)

Thanks ChrisW

Steve Pettinger

Brill, thanks ESS, I will check out both.

Much appreciated :-)

Steve

chrisw_63

If it is audio data, sorry there is no dynamic option builtin in Ableton
Kinda.  You can use the Detune and/or Transpose controls in the Clip to change the 'key'.  Not sure how well it'd work with a MIDI control assigned to it.  Well..  Detune can't be assigned, but Transpose can.

Earth.Sky.Surf5@...

but this audio transpose only works after you have recorded it not whilst playing/recording.