Updated: FCB1010 Groups Running Costs 2021-2022 #donation-request

main@fcb1010.groups.io <main@...>

FCB1010 Groups Running Costs 2021-2022

Requested By: Roger Colwell

This group was created in GIO in October 2019, from Yahoo Groups, due to the impending removal of all the stored information therein, in both main FCB1010 User Groups going back as far as 2002.
Whilst it was payment-free with Yahoo, we needed to purchase a GIO Premium Yearly Plan to transfer most of the repositories from there, and we have continued to purchase a Premium Plan on an annual basis because of the extra features it provides, that we use.
Plan renewals are due every mid-October.
In order to recoup these costs, we ask you kindly donate an affordable, small amount in order to support the continuation of the group -- any donation is welcome -- thank you!
The Payment Platform that's approved and integrated by Groups.io is from Stripe (www.stripe.com) -- please be assured this is a totally secure and trusted service which you are encouraged to check out by clicking the link given, if you have any concerns. Unfortunately, other Payment Platforms like PayPal, for example, are not supported or possible to be integrated by us, presently, at Groups.io.
To conclude this request, please note that there is no intention to accumulate funds and, should this income significantly exceed our annual expenditure, we will turn off/on this donation request when prudent to do so. Thank you again for your support!

Click Here to View Donation Request

Len Brown

I am happy to donate to this group and encourage others to donate as well.  Thanks to everyone who participates and has helped me in the past!  Len

dalessgdbrown

Wow!! How much are they charging you?

On Sep 28, 2021 at 09:24, main <main@fcb1010.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Sling Blade

Should look into moving to Discord... free and allows us a lot more flexibility to help each other etc.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021, 09:24 main@fcb1010.groups.io <main@fcb1010.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

chrisw_63

Discord is awesome for what it is, but I'm not sure how it's capabilities would fit with what we have here.  How would we migrate the file store?

Sling Blade

You can upload files to the channels in discord, or we could upload them elsewhere, say Google drive or one drive, and post a link to the file.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021, 17:05 chrisw_63 <chrisw_63@...> wrote:
Discord is awesome for what it is, but I'm not sure how it's capabilities would fit with what we have here.  How would we migrate the file store?

Roger Colwell

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 06:50 PM, dalessgdbrown wrote:
Wow!! How much are they charging you?
I presume you didn't visit the GiO Premium Yearly Plan page on pricing, or perhaps you did? You would have found that Premium plans start at $20/month, for groups with no more than 500 members, with additional members $0.04/month or $0.44/year. This group has 12000 members! Suffice to say that because I migrated our groups to GiO long before the latest plans were introduced, our costs are significantly lower than they would be now if we were starting afresh!

Since October 2019, with the splendid support that has been shown by a very small percentage of the membership who have donated, these groups are not in danger of having to downgrade to a lesser service, and I am most grateful to them!

I'll leave it at that ...

--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

Roger Colwell

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 06:54 PM, Sling Blade wrote:
Should look into moving to Discord... free and allows us a lot more flexibility to help each other etc.
It is absolutely not an equivalent platform and certainly not free if you wish to upload anything filewise! Operationally, there's no comparison, there's no email facilities, just PMs/DMs, it's lesser in most respects so what's the point in even thinking about starting up there? And note, I say starting up because there's no possibility of migrating this repository ...

You might like to start such a group yourself and see how it fares?

 --
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

EJ SHELDON

You continue to have my full support on the current platform, and thanks always for the great job that you do!

Timothy Payne

Same here. I have already donated! Keep up the good work! Thanks for all you do.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021, 3:30 PM EJ SHELDON <bluesrock13@...> wrote:
You continue to have my full support on the current platform, and thanks always for the great job that you do!

Mike Whitaker

Edited

Ageing list founder chipping in his tuppence worth:

Huge thanks to Roger for keeping us going: I really appreciate the effort, and an equally large thank you to those who have donated.

I'm still stunned that this list continues to grow and support the user community. Given I admin several Discord servers, I do understand the liking folks have for Discord, however, I think the way this list has worked for the past two decades (OK, OK, less about 6 months!) demonstrates that it's a sustainable model for community support, and I'd be loath to change it.

Yours,

Mike
--
Original list founder (March 2002!) and occasional moderator.
Yes, I do still have my FCB1010!

rmilby@...

I chipped in a small amount, enough to bring the total to 110.10  , just for fun.
I have no idea what is needed. I will tell you that I have been able to make use of my FCB1010 as a controller for SuperLooper in Ubuntu Studio, but without this group I would have given up.

Is there a $$  goal, will we be repeating this annually?

Cheers!

Phil Aspire

Happy to contribute but what amounts are we talking about?

Roger Colwell

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 09:09 PM, Phil Aspire wrote:
Happy to contribute but what amounts are we talking about?
I will soon be suspending the Donations sections in both this Main group and the UnO subgroup as soon as I'm aware of what the Stripe fees will be in total,
so I want to express a huge thank you to those contributors who answered the call so speedily and generously, in all cases!

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 07:24 PM, <rmilby@...> wrote:
Is there a $$  goal, will we be repeating this annually?
Yes, there will likely be another request this time next year and any surfeit will be held to be used then.

Whilst I concede it's great to get a 'free lunch' in life, in terms of the massive improvements in quality of service here at GiO, when compared to the sub-standard offerings by Yahoo, plagued by adverts and problems etc., in my opinion it's absolutely true that 'you get what you pay for' and we do, using this platform. Not only is it in continuous developmental flux, all the Premium group owners have immediate access to the developer, Mark Fletcher, should any glitches or issues be identified. Additionally, none of our data or details are scraped and passed on elsewhere; there are extremely low possibilities of being targeted by spammers, scammers and ne'er-do-wells; there are no adverts; we have all manner of features that we have yet to use and an abundant amount of storage space! What is there not to like? What "...lot more flexibility to help each other" could be seen elsewhere that we don't already have?

Thank you again for the generous donations; it's a pleasure managing this group ...

--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

Nick S

Threw a few dollars via the Uno subforum donations link. Do they have to be funded separately?

Roger Colwell

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 06:34 PM, Nick S wrote:
Threw a few dollars via the Uno subforum donations link. Do they have to be funded separately?
Many thanks for your contribution, much appreciated! No, the UnO subgroup funding is not separate, the Premium plan covers both and will include any other subgroups that might be added in the future, without extra cost.