From: main@fcb1010.groups.io <main@fcb1010.groups.io> On Behalf Of chrisw_63
Sent: Thursday, October 1, 2020 4:52 PM
To: main@fcb1010.groups.io
Subject: Re: [fcb1010] General Question

Giving it away would be awesome!  Hopefully he can find someone close to him, since I know first hand that shipping the FCB1010 is Not cheap.

chrisw_63

???  We've already moved to groups.io, which you should know since you posted there.

EJ SHELDON

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 02:07 PM, the kicker wrote:

Wots gonna happen to our group? R we shifting to the alternatives yahoo provided such as google groups? (I hate FB)

December 15th, 2020 is the deadline

Cheers,

Roger

?????? Did I miss something?

Roger Colwell

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 09:07 PM, the kicker wrote:

Wots gonna happen to our group? R we shifting to the alternatives yahoo provided such as google groups? (I hate FB)

December 15th, 2020 is the deadline

As you may have already surmised from Chris' reply, we haven't been a Yahoo-hosted group since October 21st 2019, when we migrated all the messages and most of the remaining content to Groups.io -- it seems you didn't spot the date correctly -- Yahoo's deadline was in December 2019, not 2020! Oh, and by the way, Yahoo didn't provide any alternatives -- they did absolutely nothing other than shaft the membership of all the groups that they hosted, by removing all the content, message history, files, pictures etc., leaving everyone with just an unmoderated email-only listserv, should they chose to remain there -- WE DIDN'T!

Also, because you posted the same message content twice, I've combined the topics and removed one of your opening messages ...

--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

David Kramer

Sounds to me like we each need to send $10.00 to someones paypal account and then pay the tab.
give me an address and I'll send mine ASAP.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 09:56 PM, David Kramer wrote:
Sounds to me like we each need to send $10.00 to someones paypal account and then pay the tab.
give me an address and I'll send mine ASAP.
Hi David, thanks for your kind offer! As it happens, we are already covered for renewing our Premium account subscription (later this month), due to earlier contributions which were much appreciated.

However, if you (and anyone else so inclined) still wish to donate, here's the page to visit:
https://fcb1010.groups.io/g/main/viewdonation?id=10
You'll need to be logged into the group website to open that page ...

--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

David Kramer

Done!

On 10/12/2020 5:03 PM, Roger Colwell wrote:
On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 09:56 PM, David Kramer wrote:
Sounds to me like we each need to send $10.00 to someones paypal account and then pay the tab.
give me an address and I'll send mine ASAP.
Hi David, thanks for your kind offer! As it happens, we are already covered for renewing our Premium account subscription (later this month), due to earlier contributions which were much appreciated.

However, if you (and anyone else so inclined) still wish to donate, here's the page to visit:
https://fcb1010.groups.io/g/main/viewdonation?id=10
You'll need to be logged into the group website to open that page ...

--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

Ashley J Gittins

On 2020-10-13 07:46, Roger Colwell wrote:

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 09:07 PM, the kicker wrote:

Wots gonna happen to our group? R we shifting to the alternatives yahoo provided such as google groups? (I hate FB)

December 15th, 2020 is the deadline

As you may have already surmised from Chris' reply, we haven't been a Yahoo-hosted group since October 21st 2019, when we migrated all the messages and most of the remaining content to Groups.io -- it seems you didn't spot the date correctly -- Yahoo's deadline was in December 2019, not 2020! Oh, and by the way, Yahoo didn't provide any alternatives

I was thinking the same thing, but went and checked - sure enough Yahoo *are* shutting down all groups come Dec 15, 2020 (the 2019 change was a hobbling - removing storage etc, but they still had functional mailing lists). Of course this doesn't affect fcb1010 since you moved it long ago. This time at least (as kicker noted) they have - in as low-effort a way as possible - suggested alternatives.

Ash

Roger Colwell

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:35 PM, Ashley J Gittins wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, but went and checked - sure enough Yahoo *are* shutting down all groups come Dec 15, 2020 (the 2019 change was a hobbling - removing storage etc, but they still had functional mailing lists). Of course this doesn't affect fcb1010 since you moved it long ago. This time at least (as kicker noted) they have - in as low-effort a way as possible - suggested alternatives.

Hi Ash, many thanks for posting that (and apologies to the kicker), I had no idea -- can't say I'm surprised! Thanks also for the hyperlink, especially as I also run a different (smaller) group that remains on Yahoo, that I already created a clone of on GIO, last year, but we haven't yet switched ...

@David: many thanks for your generous donation!!

--
Roger Colwell
FCB1010 Group Owner/Moderator

Bruce Collins

Prob because Google (who bought the Search engine that made google famous from Yahoo) has taken over Yahoo capabilities.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 2020-10-13 23:51, Bruce Collins via groups.io wrote:

Prob because Google (who bought the Search engine that made google famous from Yahoo) has taken over Yahoo capabilities.

Getting a bit off-topic here, but I am pretty sure that none of the things you said there are true.

Google was founded in 1996 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, who, along with Scott Hassan (actually, mostly the latter) wrote the google search engine. Yahoo's search engine was not part of that lineage.

Maybe you are confused because Yahoo signed a search deal with google in 2000, so from then Yahoo showed google search results on their site. This is after they dropped using inktomi, the search provider behind hotbot/lyca et al who they were using prior to that for search results (they later bought inktomi in 2006).

Yahoo are leaving the groups space because they don't see value in it - just like they left search, just like they left geocities, just like they left delicious, and yahoo messenger, and all sorts of other products they've let go along the way. Sure, competing with google is tough, but yahoo's not some poor victim here, and it sure isn't the creator of what made google special. Yahoo for a loooong time has been a media company, not a tech company.

Ash

ossandust

Maybe add the fun fact that back in 1998 Larry Page and Sergei Brin offered to sell their startup (which later became Google) for $1 million to Yahoo but Yahoo turned down the offer. Talking about a missed opportunity...  In 2002 Yahoo tried in vain to buy Google for $3 billion. You can Google that for more info ;-)