Yet another expression pedals not working question

contact@...

Greetings,

Bought a secondhand 1010 and I just can't get the expression pedals to do anything. I'm using a UM-ONE MK2 interface and the firmware is v2.4. I cannot see any MIDI in indication when trying the pedals.
I'II admit I am a bit of a MIDI newbie, but it appears (if everything is set upcorrectly) the pedals are 'off' by default ?

Any suggestions / advice appreciated !

Jack Fenton

Edited

I suspect that since neither of the pedals are working, that you just need to go through the expression pedal calibration procedure.

EJ SHELDON

Each FCB Preset has to have the expression pedals assigned individually.
They won't actually function until you select a preset to which you've assigned them.
If you're not already using an editor, I suggest you either DL the FREE MtnSystems (Ed Dixon) editor (should be in the FILES area) or, better yet, spend $25 on the UNO_ControlCenter editor. It works fine with the stock chip, and is much superior to the FREE editor I mentioned. You'll also be ready for the UNO chip when you realize that you need it. :-)

IgneousOne <contact@...>

Hi
Going through the manual, I did the '1 and 5 down and power up' direct calibration method and the pedals read as A = 08 to F3, B = 07 to F0. Is this what I should be seeing  ? (v2.4.1.b)

IgneousOne <contact@...>

Hi
Tried programming a preset with the free editor and verified with the UNO editor and saw the following:

EJ SHELDON

OK, I'm confused. It looks like you've got the UNO chip, not the stock chip. I can't read the version because the image is too blurry, but if the version is higher than 1.02, then you can't use the free editor with confidence, it's not really compatible. I suggest that you do a factory reset (boot holding 1+6), then load the attached sysex in UNO_ControlCenter. It's made for use with Amplitube but for demo purposes it's good enough.

IgneousOne <contact@...>

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 10:20 PM, EJ SHELDON wrote:
OK, I'm confused. It looks like you've got the UNO chip, not the stock chip. I can't read the version because the image is too blurry, but if the version is higher than 1.02, then you can't use the free editor with confidence, it's not really compatible. I suggest that you do a factory reset (boot holding 1+6), then load the attached sysex in UNO_ControlCenter. It's made for use with Amplitube but for demo purposes it's good enough.

IgneousOne <contact@...>

Hi,

The chip is seen as v2.4.1.b in the editor. Here is a pic:

EJ SHELDON

Before you upload the contents of your FCB to ControlCenter, select the chip type per the attached screenshot.
I've attached a "default" Stock FCB configuration in both ControlCenter format (.lgp) and regular sysex, in case you haven't actually purchased the ControlCenter license and need to use the FREE editor to load it into the FCB.

EJ SHELDON

OOPS! Hit go before I added the attachments! Here they are -

IgneousOne <contact@...>

Hi,
I tried loading the sysex file (via free editor) and it seemed to load correctly, but still no activity regarding the pedals. Thanks for your help, by the way !

EJ SHELDON

Make sure that all of the internal cables are connected.
Perform a Factory Reset - Boot while holding 1+6.
Load the sysex to the FCB.
Select a preset. Test the Exp Pedals.
If still no go, describe for me how, EXACTLY, you are testing.

Computer/OS
MIDI Monitor/SW
When you select a preset, does the FCB send a Program Change message?
Bank/Preset/Message sent

IgneousOne <contact@...>

Hi,
Still no luck.

PC / Win 10
Midi monitor: MIDI IN light on Roland  UNO MK2 / MIDI debug in FL Studio

Yes, it does send a Program Change message:
FL Studio Info:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Handled (first chance)  Absolute 0%
(generic controller):  C0  00      Program Change
Handled (first chance)  Absolute 0%
(generic controller):  B0  00  00  Control Change: Bank select MSB
Not handled  Absolute 0%
(generic controller):  C0  00      Program Change
Handled (first chance)  Absolute 0%
(generic controller):  90  00  64  Note On : C0
Handled (first chance)  Absolute -1%
(generic controller):  90  00  00  Note On : C0
Handled (first chance)  Absolute 0%

++++++++++++++++++++

The LEDs above the pedals are lit, but no MIDI IN activity on the Roland or otherwise.
Starting to think the unit is faulty (?)

EJ SHELDON

Sorry, I got no clue what all that Hex stuff from FL Studio means.
If there's no activity on the interface, how is FL Studio getting the MIDI it's reporting?

Here's what we need to know:
In Bank 00 I press pedal #1 and get Program Change#?
In Bank 00 I press pedal #2 and get Program Change #?
etc.
Don't need all 99 presets, just the first 2 in the first 2 Banks so we know the sysex actually made it into the FCB.

If FL Studio's MIDI Monitor can't tell you that, load ControlCenter and use the MIDI Monitor in that. It should work even without a license.
If not, DL a proper MIDI Monitor that reports in decimal.
The attached MIDI Monitor is a plugin. It should work even in FL Studio.

EJ SHELDON

Edited

I haven't had a stock FCB chip in over 10 years. I use ControlCenter because I don't NEED a stock chip to create and read sysex and .lgp files.
That's why I keep suggesting that you use ControlCenter.
AND it has a good MIDI Monitor.
Makes it so much easier to help you.

IgneousOne <contact@...>

Hi

Yes it does that, I used the ControlCenter (and MidiView) to confirm the Program Changes.
The exp pedals still show no activity in the ControlCenter.

I should have clarified earlier that there is no MIDI LED activity on the Roland UNO - for the expression pedals.

EJ SHELDON

In your editor, when you upload the configuration, the Exp Pedals should be set to Ch1;A=CC#007;B=CC#011 on every preset.

If YES, then either a cable is disconnected or there's some other HW problem. Maybe a chip replacement would fix it, but I can't say for sure.

If NO then the sysex is not being loaded properly into the FCB. If this is the case, I can't help you further as I don't have the stock chip in mine, and you don't have a ControlCenter license. I'd suggest buying one, but if it's HW, that won't help you.

IgneousOne <contact@...>

Hi
The case is 'YES'. I'm pretty sure it's faulty, for one thing, it doesn't seem to store the sysex info when powered off  / back on.
Thanks for all your help nonetheless !

Ron van Veen

Not sure what your problem is, but in my experience I can tell you this:

Once I’ve bought 10 cheap midi-cables, I tried them with my band. Most of the cables were damaged after 2, or 3 times connecting to my equipment.
That made me to decide to make my own cables. I bought the best cable I could find and bought several Lumberg plugs. Since then, I had never a problem with my equipment anymore.
So you could save many hours of investigating problems when you buy good cables. I’ve learned that the best hardware won’t work with bad cables. Go for the best, it will save you troubles.

If you want reel quality, you have to assemble it yourself.

Greetz,
Ron

Op 16 jan. 2022 om 13:00 heeft IgneousOne <contact@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hi
The case is 'YES'. I'm pretty sure it's faulty, for one thing, it doesn't seem to store the sysex info when powered off  / back on.
Thanks for all your help nonetheless !

Jack Fenton

Yes, many cheaply made USB to MIDI adapters do not pass through SysEX messages which are required to program the FCB1010 remotely.

I ended up getting a mio cable from iConnectivity which works better. I also hear the Roland UM1 works will.  Invest in a high quality USB to MIDI adapter.