FCB 1010 (Uno For Kemper) with Digitech GSP 1101

Alexandar Draskovic

Hello to all (new user here) I didn't find any subject on this matter, so I wanted to give it a go here (if this is inappropriate please erase this post ) I have posted this on GSP 1101 FB user group, so they redirected me here. Hope someone has a similar experience.

 "Hi Guys,one question to users of 1101 + FCB 1010 - I bought used FCB 1010 w/UnoForKemper chip...somehow i can change presets from 1-5 & expression pedal works,but tap tempo & stompboxes on/off, in preset- don't. Is this possible with this chipset? (turning stompboxes on/off in each preset -chorus, delay, etc) Does anyone have a similar experience? I'm sorry if this topic has been covered, but I can't find similar threads / I'm not experienced in this floor unit programming, so any help is much appreciated! Thanks!"

I'm using Ed Dixon PC editor, but I really don't know what i'm doing most of the time. If someone is experienced in this type of stuff, can you please be kind and give me a nod in the right direction.
Cheers
Alex

EJ SHELDON

I don't own a Kemper or a GSP1101, but midi is midi. From the GSP1101 manual:
https://3e7777c294b9bcaa5486-bc95634e606bab3d0a267a5a7901c44d.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product_documents/documents/2_1515017741/GSP1101_Manual_18-0474-C_original.pdf

"MIDI Menu
The GSP1101 offers comprehensive MIDI implementation for use with external MIDI
hardware and software controllers. The MIDI menu is where all MIDI related control is
programmed. The MIDI menu also is where the global CC/Controller map is programmed
which provides the link between outside MIDI messages to control internal GSP1101
effects parameters. By assigning each CC message to a Controller, and then assigining the
Controller to a parameter, you can change MIDI footswitches, and you only need to remap
the new CCs to the previously assigned Controllers. Your presets will react as they always
did. This eliminates the need to rewrite all your presets to adapt to your new foot pedal."

So, the first thing you need to do is find out what, exactly, the UNO_Kemper chip is sending. You do that with a MIDI Monitor. If you're using a PC you can use MIDIOX (free), or if you have a DAW, you can use one of the VST MIDI Monitors (google). Load up the monitor and press each FCB button in each bank. I would do a Factory Reset first. It LOOKS like the default settings are similar to the regualr UNO chip - buttons 1-5 send Program Changes (PC#s), and 6-10 send CCs. What those are is what you're trying to find out.

Next thing to do is figure out if these MIDI commands can be used with the GSP. The expression pedals use CC#s 01 and 07 by default. From the Kemper UNO manual (https://www.fcb1010.eu/downloads/UnOforKemper_manual.pdf):

"By default, the right side expression pedal is configured as a volume pedal (sending ControlChange #07) while the left side expression pedal is configured for Wah (sending ControlChange #01)."

Once you've established what messages the UNO_Kemper chip sends in it's default configuration, we can figure out if and how they can be used with the GSP.

EJ SHELDON

Oh, the Ed Dixon Editor probably won't be much help, but you MIGHT be able to use it to see what the buttons are sending. While it has a monitor, it only speaks HEX and I don't speak HEX. MIDIOX can be configured to display either HEX or DECIMAL.

Alexandar Draskovic

GREAT!
I'll have some free time tomorrow, so for now, I will download MIDIOX and will read all the links / information that you posted. I will keep you posted on what's up. Cheers bro, tnx a lot! Alex

Alexandar Draskovic

Update:
Ok so i have tried everything, but I just can't make FCB 1010 to run with MIDI OX...I have done correct cabling (put it trough GSP1101) and made GSP1101 my sound card, but nothing is happening when I push pedals on FCB. I have ordered Midi to USB cable to hook it up directly to the computer..I've run it through Browser Mode, Performance Mode, i've performed factory reset...nothing. I'm waiting for the Midi - USB cable, to see if this will work directly into the computer.

CRAIG DENNIS

Have you used the fbc1010 with a Behringer blue devil amp?

Craig Dennis
724-288-4791 (cell & text)
412-343-1200 x 213. (Work)
Craig Dennis’ Exclusive New and Used Car Deals @ Three Rivers Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
2633 West Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pa.  15216

On Jun 3, 2019, at 9:26 AM, alexandar.draskovic@... [fcb1010_uno] <fcb1010_uno@...> wrote:

Update:
Ok so i have tried everything, but I just can't make FCB 1010 to run with MIDI OX...I have done correct cabling (put it trough GSP1101) and made GSP1101 my sound card, but nothing is happening when I push pedals on FCB. I have ordered Midi to USB cable to hook it up directly to the computer..I've run it through Browser Mode, Performance Mode, i've performed factory reset...nothing. I'm waiting for the Midi - USB cable, to see if this will work directly into the computer.

EJ SHELDON

MIDI is not carried along with audio. I'm assuming that the MIDI-USB cable is one of those with a capsule between the DIN connectors and the USB connector. These will transmit basic MIDI messages, but won't necessaily transmit the longer sysex messages required fot use with the FCB Editors. What brand/model did you get?

EJ SHELDON

I'm not sure who I'm talking to - Craig or Alexander?

Craig - I've never used that amp, but the FCB should work fine with the GX112. Just perform a factory reset by booting the FCB while holding down buttons 1+7.

Alexandar Draskovic

Ok, so i got the MIDI-USB cable from a friend, and it works!
So i pushed all buttons and this is the result
https://prnt.sc/nx40tx
preset change is 1-5
and cc is from 6-10
I Hope this make scence, b/c now i have some values, but what do i do with it :D
I know this is the pain in the butt, and @rd2rk i thank you for your time on this!

EJ SHELDON

What happens when you load the Ed Dixon Editor? Can you see a Version#? Can you see the button settings?

Alexandar Draskovic

Nothing really, it doesn't recognize it at all...
I have made to work somehow...I can only turn the effect OFF (i've tried it with distortion), but i can do it only once...i don't know if this makes any sense?!
For eg.
I've load up the desired patch, and i want to turn on/off my distortion... I've programmed controller 6 for it...when i press it once it deactivates the dist. , but when i press it again - nothing happens... I cant turn it back on again...then i have to change the preset, and again, change it back to previous preset & again, i can only turn it off...ive googled it -  it has to do with some note on/off thing...the real question is, how do i turn on/off note for every CC?

EJ SHELDON

QUESTION:
What Brand/Model MIDI Interface are you using?

Attached is a series of screenshots to help you get started using MIDIOX.
If, when you open MIDIOX, it looks like 1MIDIOX, click the icon that the red arrow (my add) points to. This will open the Input Monitor Screen. It should now look like 2MIDIOX.

The other shots should be self-explanatory. After you click OK on 5MIDIOX, press ALL of the FCB buttons consecutively. If you look at 6MIDIOX you'll see that Control Change messages look different than PC (program change) messages. Your colors will likely be different, but the data types should look like the picture.

Take a Screenshot, save it to PAINT and send it to me.

CRAIG DENNIS

Thank you

On Jun 3, 2019, at 12:36 PM, bluesrock13@... [fcb1010_uno] <fcb1010_uno@...> wrote:

I'm not sure who I'm talking to - Craig or Alexander?

Craig - I've never used that amp, but the FCB should work fine with the GX112. Just perform a factory reset by booting the FCB while holding down buttons 1+7.

CRAIG DENNIS

I will let you know when I figure out how to do that.  Thank you

On Jun 3, 2019, at 1:42 PM, bluesrock13@... [fcb1010_uno] <fcb1010_uno@...> wrote:

What happens when you load the Ed Dixon Editor? Can you see a Version#? Can you see the button settings?

EJ SHELDON

Craig - I'm sure it wasn't your intention to hijack Alexander's thread, but at this point I am no longer sure who I'm responding to, and that's probably confusing Alexander too.

If you have further questions concerning the GX112, please open a new thread.

Thanx!

Alexandar Draskovic

I'm using some cheap Chinese (i guess) MIDI interface, it says "VIEWCON", but it works (that's the only one i could find atm) I've attached a picture, showing presets 1-5, & stomboxes 6-10.

Again, tnx rd2rk for helping me out!

EJ SHELDON

Apparently the Kemper chip numbers it's presets from 0(000), while the GSP numbers from 1(001).
According to the GSP manual, PC#s 1-99 access USER PRESETS 1-99, and 101-128 access FACTORY PRESETS.

That means that, assuming that the Kemper chip works like the UNO chip, you should have 19 banks of 5 presets (95 total presets, 0-94) on the FCB. You can verify that by going up through the banks and pressing the preset buttons while monitoring the results in MIDIOX.

Each bank should, if I'm guessing right about the way it's configured, send the same 5 CC#s in each bank.
So, now you have to decide which GSP presets you want to map to which PC#s sent by the FCB, and which GSP controllers you want to map to the 5 CC#s and 2 Expression pedals (use MIDIOX to see what they're sending) on the FCB.

UNFORTUNATELY, it appears that the Control Change messages are sending values of 0 and 1 (in your picture CC#30 was sent twice, values 1 then 0). You said that you were able to turn an effect OFF, but not back ON? If so it's because the GSP expects standard MIDI Toggling message values of 0-63=OFF and 64-127=ON (confirmed in the MIDI Implementation chart). Since 0 and 1 are both in the OFF range.....

So, do you want to get the UNO Chip? You'll also want the UNO_ControlCenter Editor (TRUST ME ON THAT! Ed Dixon will not work!). Together around $50.

The UNO Chip can be configured like the Kemper chip - each bank sending 5 PCs and 5 CCs - but which PCs and CCs are totally at your discretion through the editor. The CCs can also be configured to mimic 2-way communication - LEDs will APPEAR to reflect effect's ON/OFF status.

OR it can be configured like the stock chip, 10 banks of 10 messages, again at your discretion.

There are advantages and trade-offs to each method, depending on your needs.

There's also a probability that you'll need a proper MIDI interface. Those cheap Chinese ones are iffy. I have two, physically identical, but only one will even CONNECT to the editor. Go figure.

Questions?

Alexandar Draskovic

Not really (about the questions part), you answered it all in this really cool post up above. Ok, so i've tried everything & that's it. I'll have to order Uno chip...there is nothin' else really :)
Again, BIG THANK YOU for going in depth on this matter. So although Uno4Kemper will work (at least you can change presets & expression pedal works) the Stompbox mode will not.
Tnx rd2rk for your input on all of this, time to get Uno & Uno CCEditor.
Cheers, Alex

EJ SHELDON

Here's the link for the Editor:

And the Chip:

Although you can get the chip slightly cheaper on ebay, I HATE PIRATES.
Buy it from the creator.

Be careful installing it. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!