Uno Chip for FCB 1010

Dave Saul

I am trying to Purchase the UNO or UNO 2 Chip for FCB1010; but the link doesn’t seem to take me to a Checkout?
Has anyone else been able to purchase?

BECAUSE:

I just bought purchased a Boss Katana Artist Amp; I love it but don’t like having to switch back and forth, between Presets and Effects ;on their GAFC Foot Controller.

SO I just ordered a New FCB 1010 and I would like to use the FCB 1010 to access 4 presets and also turn effects on and off, control the Volume /Wah Wah with the expressions pedals… on the Boss Katana Amp.

And from everything I've read I believe you need the Uno chip and Uno system installed in the FCB 1010 to do this.

Is this true?

  • If so, can you please recommend EXACTLY what to buy/order; maybe send me a link on how to purchase.
  • And What software to download to a Windows PC, etc
  • Is this easy to configure?
  • And of course, any tips or recommendations.

Either way please let me know what to do/ Howe to order / any advice and thanks so much!

Dave

chrisw_63

Click on the link EJ SHELDON provided for you.  Scroll down to the line of Purchase Now buttons (black background).  Pick which one you want and click the button.  If you purchase UnO v.1.0.4, fill out the info and click the Proceed button at the bottom.  Once you finish with that one, go back to the linked page and scroll all the way down.  Find the link for UnO Control Center.  Click it.  Buy it.  It works with the Stock FCB1010, too, so feel free to use it until your UnO PROM arrives.

As for which one you should get, I have no idea.  I'd strongly suggest you find a good MIDI primer and learn it well - it will help you immensely in programming the FCB1010, no matter which firmware you have.

EJ SHELDON

From the landing page you click PURCHASE, then UNO v1.0.4 Purchase Now, fill out the form and click PROCEED.
Are you not getting past that page?

No, you don't need the UNO chip for the Katana. Katana has a very minimal MIDI implementation.
4 Presets, 5 Stomps, Bank Switch, two exp pedals and the FX Loop Bypass. You can do it all from Bank 00 if you don't need to switch the FX Loop. When I had a Katana (sold long ago) I never saw the point in the FX Loop Bypass (no external FX), so one FCB Bank was all that was required.

The only thing that the UNO chip gets you is the LED functions, and I'm not sure that the faux 2-way communication works with it, since it depends on sending matching ON/OFF signals to the selected Preset on Preset Load, and that is affected by some devices' requirement for a "wait" time between messages. Again, I didn't like the Katana enough to keep it long enough to test that. If you create the Katana Presets with all FX OFF, then use the FCB like a real pedalboard to turn ON only those effects you want to use, then you'll be good without that function.

What does work is that, when you turn an effect ON/OFF the LED will reflect that status. You can't do that with the stock chip because you're actually using Presets, sending a CC# instead of a PC# to activate FX, so the current Preset is the only LED that will light, even though it's not sending a PC#. UNO has a dedicated Stomp Mode, so all selected Stomps stay lit.

TBH - the GAFC is a bit annoying, but you get used to it. The FCB with UNO is total overkill for the Katana.
YMMV of course.

EJ SHELDON

Yes, as Chris mentioned, if you get the UNO Chip (or not), get ControlCenter too. You'll be glad you did.

Dave Saul

Thanks so much!!!

[...]

One more quick question;

If the FCB 10101 has NO USB or Bluetooth; how do you connect it to the Computer Command Center Editing? etc??.

Thanks

Dave

Click on the link EJ SHELDON provided for you.  Scroll down to the line of Purchase Now buttons (black background).  Pick which one you want and click the button.  If you purchase UnO v.1.0.4, fill out the info and click the Proceed button at the bottom.  Once you finish with that one, go back to the linked page and scroll all the way down.  Find the link for UnO Control Center.  Click it.  Buy it.  It works with the Stock FCB1010, too, so feel free to use it until your UnO PROM arrives.

As for which one you should get, I have no idea.  I'd strongly suggest you find a good MIDI primer and learn it well - it will help you immensely in programming the FCB1010, no matter which firmware you have.

EJ SHELDON

You need a MIDI to USB adapter. Most Audio Interfaces have one. Or you can get a standalone adapter. Unfortunately, not all of them are capable of transmitting the longer sysex files used by the FCB, and their spec sheets never mention that. This is the one I'm currently using:

AmazonSmile: iConnectivity mio 1-in 1-out USB to MIDI Interface for Mac and PC : iConnectivity: Musical Instruments

Dave Saul

Thx!!!!